• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

On the way back from Winnie, ST, BD110 and I started chatting about warm water adventures. We eventually got talking about Lake Michigan and thought it would be a great time if we did an "FMers do the Door" trip. Knowing how schedules get hit for the summer and reservations jam up over there, it might not be a bad idea to get started on this early (it'll justify some new equipment purchases on at least one FMers boat too!!!). My vote for timing would be late July or early August to make the trip. Make it a three day deal at least. There are a lot of camping areas over there or, if we get a good early committment from guys, we could probably take over one of the small motels in one of the ports. ST mentioned Algoma and I know a few of you have gone there. I've spent a bit of time further up, near Bailey's Harbor and Gill's Rock. The benefit there is it is a bit less traffic and, if the wind gets out of hand from the East we could bounce over to the Gill's Rock side and still get on the fish.

So, what say you? Is it too early to start talking warm water fishing? Maybe bring it up in a few months? For now, I'll volunteer my rig to make the trip from Duluth. I can put three guys total in my boat for fishing and could carry 4 in the truck on the way over.

Lota Lota...

btw - I looked at the KDSalmon site (http://www.kdsalmon.com/index.html) and their tourney is going to be running from July 23-31 next summer. Might be fun to register a fish or two for that. Maybe avoid it like the plague if it is a zoo though.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OUTDOORNUT

• Tom Linderholm

• ReelTimes

• lotalota

I would avoid the tourney time. Boats will be all over Im sure. Im in, I would love to try this out. Ill jump in with you Lota if thats cool. We should make sure to run this again in like May.

If or if not this happens the same time that I get out there I will more than likely come out again, if it is during my pre planned trip our boat is already full we are looking at early July in Algoma. If I can make it out a second time and things work out on the boat I am looking at, I will have room for 3 in mine as well. I was out for the KD tourney last year and it does become a zoo out there, especially if things get rough. I however have no problems going during this time or any time for that matter. It all comes down to timing for myself with work. Weekends are usually no good for me in the summer.

We made the trip last year around that time and it was a blast. I like the idea of Bailey's Harbor/ Gil's Rock because the wind will decide where you fish. There are a lot of campgrounds with nice facilities, and they can fill up fast on the weekends so it doesn't hurt to book early. Nothing like landing your first 20lb+ salmon. Definitely worth the drive into cheeseville. We haven't set a date yet and I think it would be cool if we could all go together.

Sounds like a lot of fun! I have yet to venture out onto the big waters of the great lakes. What type of gear would a guy need for a trip such as this?

Granny

Its a good idea but the logistics will be tough. You may have to just pick dates and see who can do it. We are planning to go twice. Once in late July and the other in early August. My rig is pretty much set both trips, although might have room for one more on the July trip. Have some flexibility with the dates. Usually fish out of Algoma or Keewaunee but farther north is fine, too (if the fish are biting up there). Either way, would be glad to connect with those who go out if the dates work out.

I agree, we need to get some dates set. After I replied to the post I've gotten two different questions about open weekends in the summer, today. Let's face it, there isn't enough time for us sportsman! How can we get rid of these "Jobs" and still get paid? ha ha We could even set a few dates, giving other FM'ers a chance to choose one or all of the dates. So if Scott has a date or Reeltimes or Cheffery throw them out there. Compile a list of dates and locations and then others could chime in on who's in. I want to get out there at least once, but might be able to make numerous runs if the summer allows!

We've done very well out of Bailey's Harbor from early August through early September. If you get too much into September the 4 year olds are getting a little darker. I'd like to head over to fish on Friday or stay through Monday. Maybe we could shoot for the August 6-7 (5-7 or 6-8)?

Regarding the gear required, I'd think that most guys who'll bring their boats will be fully rigged for the event. I am currently rigged to run 12 lines but would like to stick to three guys in the boat in case it gets rough on the water. Besides, 9 lines are plenty when the bite is on! We tried to run 6 lines last summer and had a hard time keeping them all running until things slowed down around 0900. There may be a need to pick up a "hot" spoon or something once we get there though (there always is something to get).

Lota Lota...

Well I may be interesed if someone would have an empty seat in their boat. We will have to see when we get a little closer to the summer.

Later,

Granny

I run 4 down riggers and usually a dipsy or two (9-10 lines) but last year we had times where action was so good, that we could only keep 4-6 lines going. The weekend of August 5-7 should be good for me. How much pressure is there on the weekend in Baileys? I know from prior years that Algoma is like bumper boats on a Saturday/Sunday and Keewaunee wasn't much better. Because of that, we did our second trip more on weekday and it worked out better. If we did Fri-Sun, I might head up a day earlier (Thursday).

Ya I think a midweek stint is best as well. I guess this is going to be hard to get a date that satisfies everyone so a couple dates should be tossed out and see how many can make it on what date. Granny you wont need gear. Everyone with a boat will have plenty for whoever is on board. Besides you dont want to spend that kind of cash if your not going to get on the big lake much. It can be big $.

ReelTimes, BH was never too bad for us. We usually work away from "the pack" and don't have problems finding fish. We were there four weekends last summer and, aside from a little wait at the cleaning table now and then, it was no sweat. I've never fished out of Algoma though and it might be a zoo there. Either way I can do just about any set of days. Just need a little advance warning. 7 months ought to do.

Lota Lota...

Not to wish my time away, I think about Big Lake soft water fishing every day. Made two trips there (Algoma)last year. Second time brought my boat in late Sept. and weather too windy to get out. Trailered up to Sturgen Bay and limited where we were able to go. Having a sheltered area very good idea. Too long of a way to go without an alternate place to fish out of the wind. I have room for 4 beside myself on my boat.

Lotalota and Northlander,

I would be very very intrested in jumping in if there is room.I could do the 5th through the7th.Couldn't do the midweek.That would be asking to much from the boss. Do to my line of work.Had freinds that were a captin over in Algoma.Don't know if he does it any more.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Lotta, thanks for getting this going. I suggested Algoma because its closer but I'm open for Gil's rock too.

Lets see, 7 months to go, this might end up to be a longer thread then the Burntside Bash grin.gif

Tentatively have blocked the 5-7th off. Those who want to go earlier or add a day can always do so. We can sort out crew issues as it gets closer. Lota...what do you recommend at BH for hotel? Would be nice to stay at a place that will allow us to freeze fish and ample parking for boat/trailor. My experience with trying to get hotel rooms further south tells me it wouldn't be too early to make reservations.

A few thoughts to consider. We did BH last year in the last week of July when the tourney was on, and as long as you're at the landing early, we had no "bumper boat" problems. I talked to a buddy who was at Algoma at the same time, and we way outfished them. For those of you not familiar with that harbor, realize that you should NOT stray from a generous path from the marinas to the bell bouy out in the lake. Last year, I watched a guy - who obviously just got a NEW new fiberglass 18 footer - take his family out toobing, and having fun in the harbor. Bad, bad idea. Its only a few feet deep off of the main channel in some areas. He came back with about 10% of his prop, a gash down the side of his mercruiser lower unit so that you could see the gears, and there was no skeg left. I had no idea how that boat could still move, and he had no idea of how to get his boat on a trailer. Yikes.

Beyond that, the fishing out in the lake was excellent. My advice is that you can't start fishing early on the AM on your FIRST day there because you'd never know where the nets are set. Once you get them punched in your GPS, you can go out early the next day.

I've just started to replenish my t. box for trip(s) out there next summer, and would love to time a trip along the same time as other FMers. I don't hesitate for a minute to share what's working for our boat. By the way, last year, I had 15lb Berkely Big Game snap 3 times on me. I've never had that break on L. Superior. This year, I'mm spooling either 17 or 20 lb for L. Michigan fishing. If you haven't done it, there's really nothing around here like it.

Evntam are you referring to me on the outfishing? I seem to recall being out there the same time as you were last year. And we share an aquaintance at North Star Steel. I mean we did not do to bad but the fishing did not suck. All in all we brought around 200 pounds of salmon back with us in a week long trip. grin.gif

Can't agree with you more on upgrading line. After our first year out there with 12# maxima we clubbed up last year to bigger reels & 20 big game so that we did not get spooled. Something like 500 yrds compared to 280. Good investment if you go out there enough.

I hear you on the harbor entrance! Big open water but lots of shoals guarding the harbor. Not bad if you follow the cans at the access and "head for the light" and the markers are on the chartplotter too. We usually leave Duluth around 2000 hours. That gets us to BH just before dawn. We are usually into fish as soon as we put lines down. I'll likely be over there the week prior to 8/6 so I'll have an idea on where the nets are (unless they move them in that time). If we do 5-7 I'd like to leave on Thursday night so we get a full day in on the next day instead of watching the sunrise over the city of Green Bay grin.gif . Head for home as the sun sets the last day. I called around and found this place ( http://www.journeysendmotel.com/ ). They are right in BH. They have lots of rooms available. They also have one or both of the cabins available depending on when we go. I only asked about a couple of days but I can check back with them if a different date is proposed. If we do the 6-8 there is one open. If we do the 7-9 they are both available. That might be a good way to go. The person I spoke with said the cabins have a queen, two doubles and two rollaways. Depending on the crew that goes, we could probably get everybody in the two cabins. Or just get one cabin and have guys coming for part of the time get rooms as needed. It'd be cool to have a "base of operations" in one of the cabins though. Boat parking is not an issue either since the place is a bit off the highway on three acres. Boats are safe from night time visitors. Decent parking is a BIG deal since most places in DC seem to have forgotten that folks bring boats along. It is usually a nightmare finding parking.

I re-spooled all my rigger rods with 20lb Power Pro and the dipsy rods with 30lb Power Pro. 300 yards on each reel puts the hurt on the pocket book but we only lost one spoon and it was because the fish got into rigger wires and did a dance behind the boat. I used those line weights back here on Superior and they worked fine so it is what I run on everything from now on. If you look around on Ebay you can buy BIG spools of the stuff for a lot less than retail in the small spools.

Only 205 days to go!!!

Lota Lota...

Since we are talking about open water fishing, is anyone planning on fishing the Jaws Derby June 3-5th?

FOR THOSE DOOR CO BOYS RAWLEYS BAY ON THE TOP, IS A GOOD CHOICE AND GILLS ROCK CAMPGROUND IS ANOTHER, WAGON WHEEL RESORT HAS BOTH CAMPGROUND AND HOTEL. FISHING OUT ON THE TOP ON BOUY 5 THRU 8 NORTH EAST IS TOP QUALITY FOR THE BIG ONES . ANOTHER CHOICE IS MILWAUKEE OUT OF MC KINLEY HARBOR WHITE FISH BAY AREA FISH BETWEEN THE TOWERS N.E ABOUT 7 MILES OUT IN 124 -146 FT. MORNING BITE IS USUALLY IN 80 - 100 FT IN THE MORNING ON YOUR WAY OUT. BEST OPPERTUNITYS FOR CATCHING THE FISH IS GOING TO BE ON GLOW SPOONS (MAGNUM) ALSO COTTON CANDY OR WATERMELLON PRO KINGS (SMALL) WIRE WITH DIPSEY ON WIRE GLOW FROG SPOONS.

AS FAR AS DOOR CO. USE PROKING WATERMELLON 75% OF THE FISH I CATCH ARE ON THOSE COLORS. VISIT THERE 8-10 TIMES A YEAR. ALWAYS MAX OUT ON 4 YR OLDS. PROKING REGULAR NOT MAGNUMS.( WHITE PEARLE GLOW FLY WITH WHITE PLASTIC PEARESENCE DODGER GOOD OPTION ALSO )

Cheffrey:

No, I wasn't referring to you. As I recall, you were leaving Algoma the same day I was getting to BH, and from what I recall, and from your post, we both did well. I was referring to someone I know from Northern Wisconsin who was in Algoma the same time as us. Except I didn't know about it til after.

Also, I don't think my trip was as eventful as yours, from your posts. I do have, however, about 15 minutes of video of my Dad fighting a king, which spit out the spoon about 15 yards from the side of the boat. I thought about erasing it, but it was part of the trip, so I kept it. Its interesting how our L Superior lakers may shake and dive a bit, but generally come in between the down riggers. The kings and the steelhead come in all over the place, half the time on the side of the boat, but that's part of the charm, isn't it?

Yep, I've heard we have a mutual acquaintence, and that he and his bride are expecting.

What really stinks to me is that although we brought back a lot of fish, I've almost run out!!!!

Later

Ev

I didn't think so Ev, just razzing you. tongue.gif Them Kings are an entirely differnet beast. Especially when they decide to run with you and you think that they are off only to be reeling in then "ZZZZZZZZzzzzzz" off they go again. My trips are always eventful for some reason. I tried to load some video off of my cam corder but I am not sure that I can. Just to get the juices flowing you know. We have been talking about Lake Michigan since the day the boat was pulled out of water. Never realize how much you miss it till you are staring down an 8" hole, looking at your vex and yelling "bite it!"

Sounds good on the hotel and cabin. A different weekend would work better for me but I can make this work, too. I think that I will call and reserve a room for now.

lotalota,

try using trilene 12-15lb big game line, less exspensive and will out perform most lines available.

the LIGHTLINE is where you get the best performance from your bait ... set the drags on moderate to light and you will out fish even the charter boats. the lighter the better...

the only reason the charters use big lb line is the customers generally dont know how to fish and they dont want to lose the gear. good luck

Lightline- I couldn't agree with you more-using a smaller test line is the ticket. I use 12lb big game on all of my salmon rods throughout the summer and to tell you the truth i had only two lines break on a total of five three day trips to Milwaukee last summer. One was because of an inexperienced youngin horsing in a 25lb 4 yr old. the other was on a dipsy that wouldn't release for one of my guys. Hey lightline, you said you fish out of brew city alot? I know what you mean - there is far less traffic and some really nice fish in those waters.What boat are you running out there in brew city?

I run a lighter 8' fluorocarbon leader off the PP and that seems to do the trick well enough. The only time I run the PP straight is down to a dipsy and in front of an 11' flasher. Just about every time we head East we will fill most limits in the morning run. What'd we do if we couldn't go out in the evening? wink.gif

ReelTimes - What days will you be over there? I'll go ahead and reserve the cabin starting on the 6th.

Lota Lota...

SALMON OASIS, I RUN THE KING HUNTER OUT OF MC KINLEY AND HIT ALGOMA,STURGON BAY, SISTERBAY, AND MOST OF THE DOOR CO AREA.. THE FISHING IS FANTASTIC NORTH AND SOUTH IF YOU KNOW WHERE THE THERMAL CLINES AND TRANSITIONS ARE . FOLLOW THE WARM WATER WHERE EVER I CAN FIND IT.

LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU GO TO MILWAUKEE NEXT TIME , MAYBE WE CAN HOOK A FEW TOGETHER.. GOOD FISHING TO YOU.