• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Backwater Brawl Feb 19th 8am to......FREEE

This is for those who only read new posts!lol The brawl has been re-scheduled for the 19th of February. Same place, same time frame, same everything just a different date.

To repeat myself....get the pencils out and put your reminder on the calendar for that date! We do want to get everyone together for this. And look at it this way: February has some of the best ice fishing available in the backwaters! Especially crappies of very large size! So don't let anything get in the way of a great time again. The weather won out this time, next time we prevail!

Get the new date on the calendar NOW. Pontoon Slough Landing parking area- 19 Feb.- 8:00 AM until whenever. No fee. All for fun (except for the wagers already in place) (Deitz!).lol We're looking forward to seeing you then!

CT could you give me a brief description on how to get there from Red Wing, I actually have that weekend off and plan on coming. thanks

Changed my calender.

Glad to see it's been rescheduled. Hopefully I can still make it. I was looking forward to this get together, but I had my own doubts about going with the weather forecast. I may still be out on the ice somewhere, just a lot closer to home.

JP....Take 61 out of RedWing south to Wabasha. While still a two lane, take the first left exit into Wabasha. Go until you have to stop. It will be a three way stop. Take a left there and cross high bridge and continue to second parking area on right.

Awesome!!! Not that I didn't want all you guys getting together this weekend, but hopefully I'll be able to attend then. I'll check the calendar and hopefully obtain the spousal blessing. After actually catching some fish at the Foster cleanup outing, I'm feeling pretty good about this ice fishing thing.

Andy

Crappie Tom good idea to re-schedule its gonna be cold

sorry I cant make the new date I have a trip up to Leech lk

booked that weekend

we will have to try to meet some other time

Ill talk with ufdapete and see what he thinks about a night

of fishing/rod building talk sometime soon Im still helping him with both lol

Whatever the reason for postponing the Backwater Brawl, it is a good idea, given the weather forecast for this Saturday. Unfortunately, I very much doubt that I can make it to the new date, as my long winter break is over by then. mad.gif Maybe next winter...

• 2 weeks later...

Wow this event appears to be growing. I'll be coming down. Might talk my son Napolean Dynomite in coming with.. I have fished this area 3 or 4 times every winter since 1996. The pontoon slough area is really not very large. Although there is some more room at the the first parking area across the bridge thats a small area too. I realize that you can work way back into the Lake area farther south but you definetly lose sight of the group if you start wandering into the sloughs. Maybe thats Ok. Anyway it will be good to out faces to names. See you all there. Last note check with someone before wandering off if you are not familiar with the area. Feb weather can cause problems this is a river backwaters after all. One of my favorite areas down here is right over next to the bridge near open water. I have caught huge crappies there (14"). Fun when they are biting.

Zap,

I LMAO. Napolean Dynamite! "Is this the zoo? Do you have a Lyger?"

I'm coming for sure. Just to meet him. My kids liked that movie. And they still act like that character every now and then.

Thanks for the laugh.

Dan, Yeah the kids got a kick out of this movie. Of corse they are 21 and 23 Years. We actually don't have a Liger at home but we had a Tion (which is about the weakest lamest animal in the kingdom). I have to see most of you guys that fish this area of the Miss. I've probably seen you quite a bit but never put a face to a name. Who knows we will be both coming down. Napolean is actually who turned me on to this site. He's been a surfer for a long time but he hasn't signed up till recently.

see the problem with a ligor is there skills in magic make them near impossible to keep in cages and almost as hard to find in the wild

As for the crappies some were near 15"

Talked to my wife last night to make sure the date was open and I will be there barring any unforseen circumstance. Hopefully I can improve on my 2 fish outing from the Foster Ahrendts clean up event. Better pack the camera just in case.

Andy

I just found out I will be in town that weekend! I plan to make it as of now. It's been a while since I have been down to the backwaters.

mw

I may be down in the Lake Pepin area on thursday and may check out this backwater area. How ahs the fishing been there? How do I get there and is there a spot you would recommend trying?

Just go to Wabasha and find the "high bridge" and cross it. Go to the second parking area on your right and have at it.

Just wondering----

Should I be bringing my canoe? Just kidding, there will still be plenty of ice. Wont there?

I'm gettin ready. Just placed an order for some Fish Brother tip ups. Hopefully I'll get them in time. Figure down in backwaters, you never know maybe I can hook up with a northern or something. I'll have to look at my ice fishing pail and get the rods all set to go. Can't wait.

Andy

COUNT ME IN. SOUNDS LIKE FUN. FISHED THERE ONCE WITH

LITLE SUCCESS, HOPE THAT WILL CHANGE!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

CrappieTom thinks everyone knows where the pontoon slough is.

Here are a little more detailed directions...

Backwater Brawl 2005 on Feb 19th, 2005. 8am to whenever at the Pontoon slough.

Directions: Take 61 out of RedWing south to Wabasha. While still a two lane, take the first left exit into Wabasha. Go until you have to stop. It will be a three way stop. Take a left there and cross high bridge and continue to second parking area on right.

pontoon-slough-close.jpg

pontoon-slough.jpg

It's going to be fun and possibly those 14" slabs are biting if not a big 10 lb plus pike or two will be fun.

I have business in Wabasha this morning and will be taking a side tour to take a peek at the slough and ice. I'll report what I find a bit later today. Lots of melting may have some water on the ice, but we're not very warm right now. We had good ice and I don't think that we have to worry.

wat type of bait should i bring on saturday waxies fat heads do tipups work well? im bringing up the family, they r comin to visit me this weekend and they want to go ice fishin thought it would be a good idea to meet the locals and hang out with the pro's ahaha

Waxies for the panfish, shiners or fatties for the tip-ups.

You boys playing avitar tag here?

Metro.....3 feet and up. Love your signature.....is anyone bringing dancing girls?