Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
piperguy

Any Lake Phalen Reports

5 posts in this topic

I've been spoiled fishing winnie and mille lacs my whole life, but I hear Phalen is excellent walleye lake, and a lot easier to travel too, if anyone is willing to share a tip on where, and what to use on this lake would be great, sure I could buy a map and figure it out, but it would be great to get a tip. Thanks I can tell you which flat you want to be on, on Mille Lacs.

mid lake saddle is your best bet for larger eyes and sauger. i have hit the boat launch area a few times with many small ones being caught. i have just been too lazy to take the hike to the saddle area.

had to kick a guy off of the lake last weeke when i was at work cuz he was driving out there, he wasnt getting much, he said some people were getting northerns on the north end on tip-ups with smelt though

I've been fishing Phalen since first ice. I have not caught or even marked a walleye in the saddle nor have I heard of anyone catching any there. All the walters I've picked up have been jigging a spoon and minnow head along the weedline off the boat landing. Pick up the occaisional pike there too. It seems that the pike bite has been good in sand in about 30', but the walleyes have been relating to the old weedlines of late summer. You can contact me for some specific holes.

Note: Phalen is home to a small variety of mud minnow that is only found in Phalen, and no other body of water in the entire world (a species unique to the lake).

I have to agree with lars, your time would be better spent working the weed lines for eyes in Phalen. I have caught them from shore using a slip bobber and a fat head.