• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Minnetonka ICE Series Event...

Matt Johnson

Matt Jung,

Yes that was me out there moving my house in a little shallower. Hey we will probably see you out there and good luck to ya grin.gif

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matt Johnson

• metrojoe

• Dennis Steele

• EBass

Anybody have any idea of how many people are already registered or a best guess as to how many will show up for the event?

Was going to go out with Dan this afternoon but he fell "ill" for the day. Promised to be good for tomorrow. See ya at 7:00!

Quote:

Was going to go out with Dan this afternoon but he fell "ill" for the day.

Too funny! I'll see you guys out there.

Dan- What happened...did you loose the cap to the bottle of Vodka and couldn't stand the thought of it getting stale.

Godd luck today at Tonka!

Peace,

SmellyJelly

All right Smelly Sphincter, let's get it straight! It was Captian Morgan and some Canadian Mist along with working a double shift the night before! No Vodka involved this time.

Now on for the good news at todays event. I managed to hook and land a 42" musky w/a 17.5"girth at todays event. It took me about 25 minutes to land it on 6lb line test. I thought we were going to get skunked but at about 12:50 she hit the JR's flasher spoon. Finally landed her around 1:20 w/the help of two good friends, Mnfishinguy and Ya Hey Der.

I know this sounds like an add, but if you love to catch pike and the occassional musky, then this is the lure for you. You can look at this lure on JR link Matt Johnson posted earlier on page 3. We also took lots of pictures, so will post them when they are developed tomorrow.

Thank Matt, Dennis and to whoever else helped throw this event. It was great!

Chow for now,

GF

Dan,

Thats a nice fish! Make sure to send me a copy smile.gif

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Matt,

I will send you some pictures when I get them back. One question, what type of structure were you and Crappietom fishing at yesterday. I read his post sounding like you guys got into some fish, were they crappie? We searched alot of area trying to find some, but no luck.

Later,

Dan

Wait till you guys see the picture of that girl. She was big! What a rush it was to see that thing for the first time at the hole. Dan, nice job keeping your cool the whole time. Now I see how important a quality ice reel is.

This fight when on so long we had more than enough time to discuss how we where going to land it. We talked about a gaf, so I went back to the truck to get mine then talked about what if it was a Musky. Didn't want to hurt it so I went back and got some leather gloves. I'll tell ya, that was about the coolest thing I have ever seen on the ice.

This was my first ICE leaders event and I had lots of fun. Got to meet a few more people and put faces on the screen names. I will be hitting more than just one next year for sure! Matt, Dennis and eveyone else involved, thanks.

Thanks to everyone who made to the soupy Minnetonka ICE Series!

It was a warm day and windy day but a great day to be on the ice.

Here is the winners!

1rst Place:

Aaron Hanson 7.5lbs

Aaron caught a quality pike and a few sunnies to become Minnetonka ICE Series Worlds Greatest Angler. Nice bag Aaron!

2nd Place:

Chuck Glaser was our runner up with a very nice 7.3lb pike wich also took big fish trophy.

Congratulaions Chuck!

3rd Place:

Tim LaPoint brought in another quality pike that went 6.8lbs

4th Place:

Yet another pike that went 5.5lbs caught by Greg Clemens

5th Place:

Dan Moeller finishes out our top 5 with a 4.2lb pike

Big Fish:

Once again Chuck Glaser got the big fish trophy for his 7.3lb pike.

Memorable mention goes out to "goin fishin" for iceing a 42" musky! I saw the pic on his phone and it was a beauty!

I would like to thank Joel from JR's Tackle and Bill from Midwest Rod and Reel for comming out and spending the day with us and also donating prizes.

More thanks goes out to all our sponsors who make the ICE Series possible.

JR's Tackle

Scenic Tackle

Marcum Technologies

Otter Outdoors

Custom Jigs and Spins

Todays Tackle

Nils Master

Stone Legacy

Bad Dog Lures

Lakemaster Maps

Thorne Brothers

Beaver Dam Tip ups

Lazy Jigger

Air Plugs

Islander Lures

Fish Fever

Road King

Hey Matt,

I hope the pictures turn out. I saved them in JPEG format which is hopefully the right picture file.

Chow for now,

GF

Dennis "Soupy" is definetly the word for it.

I had a blast out there meeting and talking with a bunch of FMer's. The Fish however were not cooperating with me but it was still fun to be out there.

~Matt Jung

YES it was soupy-slushy-messy day! Actually the morning wasn't bad during registration time, but towards mid-day, there were some nice puddles that trucks were surfin through smile.gif

I would like to thank Joel from JR's Tackle and Bill from Midwest Rods and Reels for putting on the goloshes and coming out to see us at the event. ALSO a big thank you to all our other sponsors as well.

Great day to be out for those that missed the day. Lots of panfish were caught and the weather was out of this world!

For those that haven't attend an event yet, they are truly a lot of fun. Many fish are caught and lots of socializing with all the FMer's!! Hope you all can make the next one!!

Nice meeting you Joel from JR's, Moosehunter, Ray E., Crappie Tom, and Realtorboy!

You guys couldnt have picked a nicer day even though it got

a little wet.

I would like to thank joel from JR Tackle and Bill from Midwest rod and reel also for comming to the event. Also like to thank all of the FM staff for putting on these events

It was great to meet some of you Dennis, Chuck N, Ray E, Tom Herman it was great fishing with you yesterday.

Dan,

We hit the weeds hard. We were fishing in spots not much deeper than about 11-12 feet and the bottom 4 feet or so were solid weeds. I had to drop my jig all the way to bottom and through the weeds in order to catch a majority of the fish. My LX-3 didn't help me a whole lot yesterday because I couldn't mark my jig in the weeds. I had to use a very sensitive Thorne Bros Finesse Plus with a spring bobber to pick up the subtle strikes. I rigged it out with 2 pound test and a size 10 pink head/white body Shrimpo. I would just ever-so slightly quiver the jig in order to get them to bite. A person could have moved out off the weeds or fished above the weeds and had a field day on smaller pannies, but the bigger ones were hugging the bottom right smack dab amongst the thick weeds. We fished on the west side of Shady and east of the tiny island north of Goose. I lost a nice slab that I guessed to be about 12 inches right at the bottom of the ice. Right after that I landed about a 10 incher. I think the slabs were amongst the weeds while the smaller fish stacked the deeper holes up. It's one of those situations were you have to run and gun all day and punch a lot of holes. The bigger gills were in the same areas. Here's a shot of CrappieTom and me with a couple gills...

TomandMatt.jpg

I wanted to head up into Cook's Bay to chase pannies but I encountered a pretty good size pressure ridge and I didn't want to advise anyone to follow, especially with the warm weather and wind. Saw some of the shorelines opening up where the runoff hit the ice, a few culverts too.

I took my dad out today and we managed to get into a nice school of pannies. My dad brought home a nice meal...

Tom3.jpg

The lakes pretty much solidified today and they're definitely not as "soupy" as yesterday.

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Tonka was a lot of fun! I had a great time meeting and talking to a few new faces. I got to get a little fishing in at this event and the weather was awesome! I spent much of the day chasing pannies with CrappieTom, Darin Ingalls, BDR, Matt Breuer, Corey Bechtold and Cole Bechtold. We also met up with Captain B.R.K. and a few of his buddies along with Ron and Joe Zych and Kylersk throughout the day.

Some nice pike brought in to weigh-in and a couple nice piles of pannies too.

Congrats to Aaron Hanson for 1st place! Here's a shot of Aaron's pike...

TonkaPike3.jpg

Congrats to Chuck for 2nd place and Big Fish.

Here's a couple more shots from throughout the day...

danmuskie.JPG

Dan's (goin fishin) 42 inch muskie!!

TonkaPike-279x360.jpg

Another nice Tonka pike

TonkaPike2-405x307.jpg

Greg Clemens with a Tonka pike

Tonkaweighin-405x304.jpg

Tonka weigh-in

Thanks to everyone for making Tonka a fun event and thanks to all the sponsors for making the ICE Series possible!

See everyone Saturday out on Rush Lake!

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Matt,

Thanks for the info on the panfish bite. Congrats on finding em and too bad you lost a 12" pan. Man that is really getting big.

Chow for now,

GF

The doctor couldnt have ordered it any better, a little soup and fishing with FM buds.. grin.gif

Both me and Mrs. Hopper would like to thank FM for yet another great event even though we ended up with a skunk. We did end up with a hand full of ratso's and shrimpo's and a card of JR's jigging spoons, thanks to the sponsers. laugh.gif

But better yet, was all the great company and the new peaple we met! Goin fishin, MN fishing guy, and Hey Yah Dar. NIce to have met you guys and "nice Ski"! Metro Joe, thanks for makeing room for us to put out a few tip-ups and congradulations to your son Dan for the fifth place finish. Way to go Dan!!!!

I wish I could have met more FM'ers but you just dont know 'who is who' at the weigh in. I have a sujestion! I think it would be great if we could introduce ourselves by our FM name at these events (nomatter how painfull it might be) shocked.gif we could meet a lot more FM'ers. Then we really could put faces with the names. Just a thought?????

Dont know if we will be able to make the Rush event with my work, but I will try to make it.

Not a bad idea holehopper. It wouldnt take that long. Pass the mike and just throw the name out. It was another great event with some nice weather. Thanks to all the staff and the sponsers. I think Chuck G shuld be banned. Not only did he win the biggest fish, 2nd over all and the sweet thorne bros rod, his work went to mllelacs the day before and he won a nice frabill rod and real setup for smallest fish. He always wins something :+) We were fishing together Saturday and Chuck and his bud pulled in 3 norts. We only weighed in the one but the two others were not much smaller than the first and they all came out of around 6 or 7 feet of water on shiners. The weather was great for grillin and chillin which is exactly what we did. Once again thanks for a great event. I cant wait until next time I make it to an event. I cant believe all the great door prizes hande out. Was there anyone that leaves empty handed? I scored a nice card of Angel Eyes. Keep up the great work!!!!!

Sorry I missed this one boys. I was all set and planning on being there and then this nice weather hit and I got too much of the itch. Spent all day Saturday in the boat in Redwing. 4 guys brought home close to 20 eaters. One guy in our boat caught a nice 4 or 5 pound eye and a 12 or 15 pound paddle fish. I had to nurse a little sunburn Sunday morning.

I hope I can make the Rush event. I just have this problem with ice fishing when I can be sitting in the boat.

Congratulation to the winners. Sounds like a pretty good day was had by most.

cool.gif Hey Dan that picture turned out great. Looking at it on the camera phone just didn't do it any justice.

How'd you guys do later?

Hey Dan,

The pic. turned out great! Congrats. Good thing we tried out that spot. grin.gif

Mnfishingguy, it was great fishing with you and goin fishin. Sorry the crappies didn't pan out on our second spot.

Metrojoe, congrats on all the pike. Looked like your kids had alot of fun.

Mr and Mrs. Holehopper, it was nice to meet you guys. Good luck out there and hope to see you guys on the ice again.

We should try to put together another get together before all the ice melts.

A HUGE THANKS to all the folks who put this event together. Had a great time! Thank you!!!

Good luck on the ice!!!

YHD

Great job again out there staff.

It was a great day. Even caught a short nap laying on my back on the ice! It was nice being able to fish outside the portable. The fishkid and I caught some sunnies and crappies. We hit 5 different spots on the lake fishing anywhere from 6ft to 50ft. Aaron very nice muskie. Bet that was fun pullin in! Nice northern Hanson! Those babies are good eatin with the Y bones filleted out and fried in butter.MMmm...

G/L all next week on Rush. I have a local trny I need to fish in. Next F/M get together/stop for us is the catfish through the ice. What a concept. Nice meeting you Kylersk and buddy.

See Ya,

Ron & fishkid

I got to meet Giant Jackpot and Perchjerker and some of Moby's buddies. It was fun even though all I could muster up was some perch and sunnies. Mental note, bring shiners next time for pike. All I know is that Moby makes a mean burger, and the wind will tip over my ice house causing minnow bucket to spill and minnows trying to swim frantically in puddles trying to escape. LOL

Metrojoe,

Ya Hey Der managed to get us on some crappie in Excelsior Bay of Tonka. No big ones but it was fun regardless. Man that musky was sure fun, and the countless times it would drag out 50 yards of line or more. Only had 6lb line test on, but St.Croix rod w/Thorne Bros 6 gear ice fishing reel made all the difference. Very smooth drag.

Ya Hey Der did pick out that spot, so he gets some of the credit. Hope to fish w/all of you if I am here for the Rush event. Good meeting everyone and talk to ya later,

Dan

P.S. Ya Hey Der, I will call you tonight.

Yeah, I had fun fishing with Ebass too. Wait, he didnt even mention me. Cripes!

Fun day nonetheless. We struggled diligently, and got a few fish as a group.

Ah yes, a good time was had by one and all. As a lot of you know, BLB is always good for a laugh or 2 and Saturday was no exception. Perchjerker is a wealth of knowledge and EBass appears to be ready for anything (as long as it is after 08:00)! But it is time for open water if you ask me..........

Oh yeah what a day huh? The wheather could'nt have been any nicer. We had a blast catching a bunch of pannies along with one northern.

I just wanted to thank whoever the sponsor was that donated the Marcum hand held depth finder. It seems that I never win anything that you can really put to use like that one. It work's awesome and I will be using that prize a whole lot Im sure.

Oh and it was nice meeting and chatting with you as well Captain!! smile.gif

Dan Rollings