• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Minnetonka ICE Series Event...

Matt Johnson

If your coming in from the west or plan on fishing Cooks, Priests, or Smithtown don't forget about Kirby's Bait over on Commerce Blvd in Mound right next to the boat launch.

dsludge

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matt Johnson

• metrojoe

• Dennis Steele

• EBass

Realtor Boy, I have seen this ? come up befor and the aqnswer has been, yes you can use whatever you want to fit yourself into! I think I heard about someone who drilled holes right through his floreboards just so he could fish inside of something at the Medicine eventgrin.gif

MetroJoe I am haveing trouble with my computer and my e-mail! Did you get my e-mail? I have to operate from Mrs Hopper's lab top for now.

[email protected]

Yes you can use your permanent. You just have to check in at headquarters in the morning to register and get your ticket. We'll also fill you in on any rules and such...

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

So I don't have to pick up my house and check it in in the morn right? i will just be driving out to my house that will already be out there! Good luck guy's

Yup your welcome to use your permanant.Just check in in the AM and be willing to let an official inspect it where it sits.

Thanks for mentioning another bait shop. I mentioned the bait shops that were kind enough to put up our ICE Series posters. Wish I knew of that bait shop when I was posting them! cool.gif

Is anybody going to meet for breakfast that morning? I talked to the wife and it's a go for me on Saturday. Now, I have never fished that part of the lake before, can somebody give me a hint or two? [email protected] if you don't want to post here.

Thanks.

Is anyone doing any scouting in that area? That goose island spot is over ran. I went out there Sat night and turned around. It's popular but sheesh.

Yeah, Goose Island gets hounded.

The area is rather large that we get to fish for the event and there are some pretty good areas. Both Carmen's and the Locke Point areas to the east are good for a mixed bag. There are a couple breaklines south of Spray Island that are good. Phelps Bay is usually a good bet for panfish and pike. The Crane Island area can give up some nice walleyes, as well as the triangle reef for pike. And then Priest's and Cook's Bay are both good for a multi-specie bite as well.

The area we get to fish is actually not too bad. We should see a lot of pike and panfish brought in to weigh-in as well as some walleyes. Sure, this is not always the best area I'd pick for walleyes this time of year, but there still are a lot of fish to be caught in this area. However, some excellent panfish and pike areas.

Not a whole lot of snow out there, so traffic off the roads with a 4 wheel drive shouldn't be too tough. 2 wheel drive will still get around just fine on the roads as well as some areas off the roads.

Looks like the weather is going to cooperate for the weekend too, always a plus!

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Matt, Are you all going to run groups out to fishing spots again for this event? I'm trying to talk a few co-workers into going with me this time...

Question:

1. This access is it the Access with the water patrol office right on shore?

2. I've got a Permantent on Goose Island I read above about having an official inspect the house, will they check the house before the start or follow me out there to check it out?

3. How do we bring the fish in? Do they have to be alive? and I looked at the rules and its broken down by fish, can you bring in say 1 pike, some sunfish, some crappies, and lets say a walleye? or are you allowed only 1 fish?

~Matt Jung

Kylersk,

Yeah, I'll take some people out to some spots if they need some direction. I'll put together a bunch of spots for different species and you can give them a try...

bassman,

Yep, thats the access, right off 15. You can fish out of your permanent, not a problem, just check-in/register before the event at headquarters and let them know, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You are allowed to weigh fish whenever you want throughout the day. Someone will be at the weigh station all day long, you just have to be present with your fish before 2pm in order to weigh your fish. So, if you catch a pike you want to weigh-in at 10am you can, and then you can weigh the rest of your fish at 2pm if you want, doesn't matter. And yes, you can weigh-in the max amount of fish listed on rules page, so you can bring in 3 walleyes, 1 pike, 7 crappies, 10 sunfish...

I hope I answered your questions, let me know if you have any more.

I'm looking forward to Saturday! It's going to be a lot of fun!

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Thanks Matt! I'm putting together my Walleye rig right now... That's one of my only goals left to reach, catch a walleye. smile.gif

Matt Johnson;

Yup you covered my questions thanks. If I want to beat most of the rush of FMer's coming out, how early can I show up to register?

~Matt Jung

Looking forward to another event. For those adding to the pre-registered list a little late, here is the link you'll need Ice Leaders

I was at the Medicine Lake event weeks ago and can only give Kudos to the FM Coordinators!! What a great event and will be just as fun this weekend.

Though not real familar to Tonka', but will be fun to tackle!

Kylersk,

We'll see if we can't get you on a walleye smile.gif

bassman,

I'll be out there at 5:30am smile.gif However, I don't think you can start registering until 7am or so, but if you want to come early and talk fishing feel free...

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

A few of us are getting together tomorrow to do a little pre-fish. I'm meeting a couple of the other members out at the access around 7'ish. Anyone interested is welcome to come.

The Medicine Lake event was my first event and it was a great time.

See ya on the ice.

Matt,

Do I just add 2 to the shopping cart to register me & my son? Or do I have to do it twice online?

Thanks

Chris

How old is your son? If you pay for yourself and he's under the age of 16 then he's free. All kids under the age of 16 who are accompanied by a paying adult are free. If he's over 16, then just add 2 to the shopping cart.

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Thanks for clearing up the kids are free part of this. HoleHopper mentioned that last week and I honestly don't think I saw it in the rules, etc. I actually paid for my son via the Internet for the Medicine event--not a big deal, but now I can pay for the Rush event. (I was waiting to see Jr's report card before paying for him! So now I can get this done.)

Matt,

He is only 7,but a very avid ice fisherman already and wants to participate on Sat.

Our game plan is to start out in the Fish Trap Portable then return to the Permanent Shack later in the morning for some tip-ups & panfish. Do we need to have the permanent inspected right away in the morning or radio/call in that we are in transit to it later in the day?

Thanks

Chris

Chris,

If you register yourself for the event then your son is free. Glad to hear he's an avid ice angler, thats very cool! As far as the permanent shack is concerned, just stop by headquarters in the morning sometime before 8am to check-in or register and let them know you'll be fishing out of a permanent. I wouldn't worry a whole lot about it, we're out there to have a good time and catch some fish.

Best of luck to you and your son and come find me on Saturday if you guys need any help.

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Matt;

Alright I'll see you out there around 5:30am-6am. I'll be driving the Maroon s10 with the Bass Glasscapes decal in my rear window.

~Matt

With this warmer weather what do you guys think as far as driving on the lake? I am not too familiar with Tonka. Is it going to be safe to drive on?

Matt,

We'll start setting up the headquarters at 5:30am, so if you're there that early you're more then welcome to help out too if you want wink.gif Sounds good though, I'll see you on Saturday!

Bronco Kid,

There will be no traffic through the narrows during the event, they will be off limits. So that means no Black Lake or Emerald Lake, no Halstad's Bay, no Lake Virginia, no Lafayette Bay and no traffic through Zimmerman's Pass (going from Phelps Bay to Crane Island). We will also advise that you use caution when around the islands as well. We are still seeing below freezing temps during the night so we are not losing ice, even when we see 35 degree temps during the day.

If we hear of a bad spot, we'll let everyone know. However, you always want to use caution when on the ice, regardless of what you hear or see others doing. Ice is never one-hundred percent safe. But, there has been car and truck traffic in the area we are fishing for several weeks...

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Permanant shak inspections will be at random. Just let us know that you will be fishing out of one. If you look like a shady character.... grin.gif

Moose-Hunter and I checked the ice thickness in the bay in front of the access and there is 23". There is also an ice ridge off Goose Island that you should stay away from.

No travel by foot or vehicle is permitted through any of the channels. There is thin ice in the channels.

I did talk to one of the guys at Shorline Bait and he said that folks are driving all through out Upper Lake Minnetonka. I would suggest just staying on the well traveled areas and you should be OK.

Matt;

If you guys are still setting up when I get there, Absoulutely I'll help you set up.

~Matt Jung

Just print out the receipt if you want(Those FM'ers are some shady characters) Or is that me?cool.gif. They will have your name on a list when you get there so you dont have to do anything. That is the way fishkid (Joe) and I always sign up! Yes we will be there! w00t!

We would appreciate someone pre-fishing for us because we have hockey Friday night. grin.gif J/k

Good Luck All!

Ron