• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Minnetonka ICE Series Event...

Matt Johnson

Destination 4 of the 2005 ICE Series...

Lake Minnetonka - Saturday, February 5th

Spring Park Bay Access

ICE Series Info

Lake Minnetonka is known as one of the premier fishing destinations in the Midwest and is another phenomenal Metro Area lake. A lot of panfish, pike and walleyes throughout the area and some really nice fish too!

Anyone planning on attending the Minnetonka event?

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matt Johnson

• metrojoe

• Dennis Steele

• EBass

Yes I was planning on attending the event. who do I contact on signing up for the event if it is not too late. Can a person only sign up for that one event?

You can register online by going to the Ice Leaders website...

Register - Click Here

You can also mail in a check too.

The deadline for the online registration for the Minnetonka event is Wednesday, February 2nd if you want to save $5 and only pay $10, or else it's $15 at the event.

You can sign up for as many events as you want, there is no limit.

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Sounds good Dan, I hope to see you out on Tonka! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Hey Matt,

You can count me in, just signed up today. Hopefully, there will be more action than what took place on WBL last Saturday.:P

By the way, thanks for giving out those lures. Can't wait to try it. One question, if the fish can't be frozen during weigh in, do you just throw them in a bucket of water, or just weigh them in as you catch em?

Chow for now,

GF

I would just toss the fish in a 5-gallon bucket and keep them inside your portable, or else feel free to weigh-in fish throughout the event if you want. We haven't had a problem with frozen fish, we just don't want to see fish that have been sitting on the ice for a couple days, we don't want fish brought in that were caught yesterday or the day before smile.gif I wouldn't worry too much about it, things have worked just fine in the past.

Yep, it was tough on Saturday, it was just one of those days. I heard you guys got on some walleyes later in the evening though, thats good. Try that Flasher Spoon tipped with a minnow head for pike and walleyes, it works great!

See you on Tonka!

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Sucks I can't make this, I'll be seeing the gophers play wisconsin at home.

Matt,

tried out the flasher spoon(the one that the arms seems to twirl forever) on a pesky pike. Now, I was fishing for eyes and this pike kept sitting right under my hole. So I remembered your comment, and used the lure you gave me. This pike hit it w/in seconds of putting it down the hole. I caught and released the pike, and was able to get the eyes to come back to the area (the pike learned it's lesson). What was the name of that tackle you gave out? I don't normally fish for pike, but that was awesome! Was it H&R tackle? Let me know.

One last thing, do you need any help w/the set-up for Minnetonka? I would be willing lend an extra hand if needed. Just let me know.

Chow for now,

GF

Glad to hear that Dan. Yep, it's by JR's Tackle, I love that spoon! It's my number one pike spoon, period. I'm sure we could use the help on Minnetonka. Drop me an email.

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Cant wait!

Me, Mrs. Hopper and Hopper Jr. will be there!

Matt, counting on you for the hot spot grin.gif

Anyone want to prefish on the 29th or the 30th?

Hey HoleHopper,

Good to meet you at the Medicine Lake event. I'm still not sure I will be at this event...(ya right) but you may have talked me into a little pre-fish.

I've never fished this part of Tonka, you familiar with the lake at all?

Shoot me an email joemmn(at)lycos(dot)com

Pre-fished Minnetonka this past Sunday in Spring Park Bay. Got into a mean perch bite from 12:00 to 2:00pm. Nothing but 2-3" perch loaded on the vex!!

That has to count for something guys........Matt, Pete, Paul, Rick??

Don't we count points for the smallest fish grin.gif

Looking forward to the event in a few weeks.

HoleHopper,

How's Sunday looking for you? I forgot that I have a prior commitment at noon on Saturday.

There will be a limited area that we can fish for the Tonka event. Thats do to the fact that the permit we have to obtain is given by the city, and since Tonka runs into numerous different cities there are limitations on where we can go. The boundaries will be addressed at the beginning of the event, however, we are working on getting things sorted out and hopefully we can post our findings here in the forums sometime on he near future...

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Here is the exact boundaries for fishing Tonka on Feb 5th.

tonkatourneyboundaries5kx.jpg

You cannot leave the surface of the lake to get to any of these areas. You are to enter the lake at Spring Park Bay, and from there you venture to your fishing spots via the ice.

So is ya coming to this one, or is ya gonna sleep till noon like you did for the Med event? grin.gif

OWE! OK so I'm not a morning person. And shoveling until midnight the night before doesn't help. I plan on going, but I planned on going to Med to. Why don't you worry about the swans and setup a sting operation on HWY 25 bridge and I'll worry about the Tonka crappie slaying?

Well now. Who woke up on the wrong side of the bed today at noon? Maybe you should sleep a little later.....

blush.gif

Updated map of fishing boundaries, and the access point.

tonka5gy.jpg

Thanks BLB! That makes it a lot easier for everyone. Tonka is going to be a fun event and there are some excellent spots within those boundaries.

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

I would also like to take this opportunity to give every one a little more information on registration and parking for the event.

We will have registration stations set up at the access before entering the ice. If you have preregistered you will still need to stop there and pick up your prize ticket.

For safety reasons we are not allowed to have a parking lot on the ice for this event. We do have parking available very near the ICE Series HQ on shore.

Here is the official parking rules.

Official ICE Series parking is located on shore at the public access, old Tonka Toy factory lot, the Mist Loft(to be confirmed) and at the public access over flow lot located one block to the east at the county road maintenance lot.

There will be no parking within 100yrds of ICE Series HQ.

Contestants that wish to attend the morning presentation may park in the designated on shore parking areas.

Contestants will be allowed to head out fishing as soon as they have registered.

When contestants return for the prize drawing and weigh ins, they must park on shore and walk back to ICE Series HQ.

If you need bait you will be able to get it at these bait shops in the area.

Shoreline Bait is located accross the road from the access.

They will be open early.

Wayzata Bait is located just off 394 to the west of 494.

They will be open by 6:30.

For guys coming from the southwest side of Tonka stop in at Minnetonka Outdoors located on hwy 7 between 101 and 19.

You must of read my mind. I was just plotting the course to Wayzata Bait, but it looks like Shoreline is obviously more convenient.

Thanks Dennis

Hi,

I have a perm out there now, it has been out there all year. I see there is some kind of inspection deal. Can I still use my perm or not. I was looking forward on bringing the family out to join in the tourny but not sure if I can use it or not I guess.

[email protected]