• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Was wondering if anyone out there is familiar with this lake. My wife got on the computer and somehow picked this one out of the blue for our summer vacation with the inlaws.

I got on the dnr lake finder and it doesn't look like much of a lake. I know better than to think I have lots of time to fish with three young kids(and the month of august) but wanted to know what others thought about any action (Walleyes for me and bluegills for the kids). May still get her to switch but don't know how much fuss I want to put up with.

I know a little bit about the lake. Spent a few weeks up there but we always went in late May. We had decent luck with walleyes in the evenings but everyone told me the eyes actually got better later in summer. Catch all the northerns you want, we had some 7-8 lbers. Caught a lot of decent perch. I guess the lake has big sunnies but i never tried for them.

Jethro- Bass is a decent family/kids lake. Lot of sunnies to keep the little ones (and you) busy. Decent Bass and lot of average Pike for you. Never really tried for 'eyes there.. 8-Ball.

A true fisherman, lets the wife pick the lake.

Contact back O' moon resort - 218 326 8648

They catch some decent walleyes in this lake but you have to know when and where and what to use, the locals are tight lipped about this lake.

slip bobber + plain hook + single splitshot + shiner used in the evening!!!enough said smirk.gifMy best luck,for 'eyes, easy for kids too!!!

Jethro...

My inlaws have a cabin and a resort(Pincherry) on Bass. Have very good luck a few weeks after opener off of the rock points and sunken islans. Slip bober large shiner with a plain hook. I also put a bright yellow bead just above the hook and out fish the rest of the family. If you are going later in the summer it is a good large mouth and pan fish lake off the weedlines next to deep water. You can also get into some nice action on the weed beds with a popper in the evening for bass. If you need resort info let me know your email address and I'll get it to you.

I know people that have stayed at Wildwood Resort on the south end of the lake. I feel the south end of the lake is more suited to bass, bluegill, and northern fishing. Although, I've caught walleyes on the south end too. As magnum165 was saying, bobber fishing for 'eyes is excellent at times. I've also had real good luck anchoring, tail hooking a shiner, puting 1 split shot a foot or two up the line, casting it out, and watching your rod tip. As far as bluegills, bobber fish with panfish leeches in or near the weeds. The bluegill limit is only 5 per person, just an FYI.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

As ESKOMO was saying locals are very tight lipped about the walleye's on Big Bass but I'm going to let the cat out of the bag, a little that is. Bass is one of the best walleye lakes in close proximity to Grand Rapids with your average fish somewhere around two pounds. That is, if you can find em. The DNR stocks this lake every three years with walleye but 45% of the walleye they have sampled come from natural reproduction. Don't be dissapointed that your wife chose this lake!! The locals may be tight lipped about where to find them but the resort owners will not be. They will point you in the right direction for great fishing.

The kids will have a blast with the bluegill/sunfish and bass with a better than average chance of catching some mammoth gills. It's one of the few lakes in the area that you have an opportunity to catch a sunnie over two pounds, hence the bag limit of 5. A wise choice by the DNR as this should help to ensure others a chance of catching some paper plate size panfish.

Although the lake is highly developed, it is not as popular as a recreational lake as some of the others close by so it should make for an enjoyable fishing experience.

Good Luck and have fun!!!

We stayed at Pincherry last year and will be back for the end of August-labor day. We could have limited on jumbo sunfish every day (we only kept enough to eat for three meals while we were there) and a lot of guys were catching bunches of northerns. Troll any spinner bait along the weeds. It's a beautiful lake, and very kid friendly. 100 yards out from shore (at Pincherry) it is all sand and waist deep. Not much for the walleyes, but the weather really sucked last year.

Good luck!