Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
upnorth

Suitcase or Flip over?

8 posts in this topic

I am at the point where I'm gonna upgrade my portable. I am stuck here debating whether to get a flip over or a suitcase style. confused.gif

Anyone have or have had both and know the pros and cons?

It depends on how you fish. I think you are much more mobile with the flip overs. I've had a medium Otter for 10 years now and wouldn't go back to the suitcase. All my gear goes in the sled and it pulls easier than others due to the curve at the front of the sled. My buddy has a suitcase and he has to bungy all his gear on top and follow me because his plows so much snow. If you go to a spot and set up for several hours to all day, the suitcases are nicer with the full floor and more open floor plan.

As stated it really is reliant on how you fish. The suitcase portables really do give you more space. Its much easier for 2-3 even 4 people at times to fish. However, they do take longer to set up.. they dont pull across the lake as easily, you have to drill your holes in the exact spot, which means making holes before you drill.. With the pull overs, you just drill holes and flip the house over.

I am a very aggressive ice angler, I always drill numberous holes and move quite a few times in a day.. I lost count how many times I moved yesturday, but I would be willing to bet it was upwards of 30 times... maybe as many as 50... I could not have done that with a suitcase style house...

I would agree…it all depends on how you fish. I have a tub/flip over style shelter (Polar Sport 3-man) because of its mobility and storage capacity. I can put all my gear inside and it easily tows by hand or sled/wheeler. I also like to move a lot when I am on the ice…if the fish are not active..I just flip down the canvas and move to my next location…pretty fast and simple. Plus, in the off-season, I put all my gear inside the sled; top it off with the cover and its packed away nice and neat. I don’t mean to sound anti-suitcase but it just seems like a lot more work and mess. I suppose if I didn’t move as much and just drove a truck to one spot on a lake, the suitcase would be just fine. Good luck on your search.

I just picked up the clam guide at gander in forest lk friday.

They had them for 349.99

Cabelas had them for 299.99

I walked out of gander with the guide and a new sunflower for 235.00!!!

I had the 6800 but I hate the setup/takedown and with early and late ice the guide is so easy for pulling.

It also depends on how big of a fella you are.

I gave my 6800 to my uncle (6'7" 350) With his size and bad knees he has to be able to stand a lot so that worked better than any flip over for him.

go check some out.

sit inside them open them close them, really work one over before you decide.

Hey guys thanks for the responses. I will probably go for quick flip. Some days I am all over the place and the flip will be easier to manage. That and L & M supply has the quick flip III on sale this week for $249.

Hey mudman, I'll bite. How did you get both the clam guide and a sunflower for $235 if the price was $349??? I'm in the market for a new guide as well, but the price is a bit much for my post-Christmas budget...

Thanks!

"Flip Over" Period!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!