• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Is it me or have people just lost their minds?

Yesterday, I took my son & daughter out on Chisago Lake. We caught a few fish, and for the most part, had a good time. cool.gif

HOWEVER... why is it that people insist on driving 40-50 mph on the ice? Do people not realize that they are actually creating a wake underneath them? mad.gif

And, do they not realize that sometimes kids don't always look beofre they run or walk in that situation? frown.gif

THEN... today I went out to Medicine for a little pre Packers/Vikings game fishing.

There was a big old pine that had been burned & left, and there must've been 20 beer bottles lying around. Some kids from another shack started tossing them in the air, and spread them out all over the place. I happened to be out of my portable when their dad (assume, but maybe just an adult that took them out), came out and started loading up the minivan.

I asked if they were going to clean up the mess they had left, and he got a bit miffed, to say the least. "Why? Did you see them drinking the bottles? They don't need to clean up someone else's mess"... he got in and they left.

I picked up a few, and so did a couple of other guys. Makes no sense to NOT do it, you know?

ANd then, there was the guys in the little SUV that were whipping donuts out on the lake. Again, the wake thing, disregard for other's safety, and just plain old st*pidity.

So, I guess my question is... Have I just gotten cranky as I've gotten older (all of 36 now...), or have people become less & less considerate of the world around them? mad.gif

i think it has to do with the way society is rasing kids and they way they were brought up. i have tons of friend that sound just like that. man if my dad had ever saw me do any thing like that....i just dont understand why people are that way

slick, maybe it's just us 36 year olds. grin.gif

Put it in perspective, tho. 95% of the people I meet or see on the ice are being decent & respectful of the resource. However, it's always that 5% that we (me too) seem to remember. Just in the past two days I've witnessed some rude behavior on my favorite lake, something I've never seen there before ~ and now, two days in a row.

I had to remind myself that I've met a lot of good folk out there the past few years. They far outnumber the ***holes.

On the other hand, I agree. If "my lake" becomes a draw to even a couple of stoopid folk on a regular basis, I'll go find another lake to fish. It's a shame, but I'd rather have some peace & less action than have to put up with people who don't know how to behave.

Perhaps that makes me cranky too...

Maximum -

You're right - 95% of the folks out there are great. Always good to talk to, ready to share info., and take the time to care about the lake and how their actions affect the rest of us. cool.gif

I only hope that maybe somehow those that are the problem will figure it out, and then the experience on the ice will be bettter for everyone! grin.gif

I wonder what the DNR would do with some digital images or short mpegs of the littering?

Us cranky old folks made some pretty stupid mistakes when we were younger; it's too bad we all didn't learn from them.

I have a poster in my office that says something like, "If you can't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense in making them any more".

My heartfelt thanks for picking up the garbage on the lake. If you're not part of the solution, you are part of the problem!

dsludge

Slick,

I fish med once in a while. Thanks for helping out!

BTW: I'm going to be 36 this summer and i can feel the crankyness comin' on!

Well I am not 36 yet, actually have about 13 years to go, but also get frustrated hearing about these instances. Its seems to me that most of these problems are being caused by the younger generations, in my experiences at least. I love to fish every minute that I can and will do whatever I can to be more knowledgeable about it. I just have to say that please dont look at all yournger people as if they are up to no good, there are still a few of us out here that love to be out on the lake and better the sport! Great feedback guys! By the way, real classy on picking up after those other slobs! Your the kinda guys that make this worth it.

Jeff

It's you.

Bringing us down with those high standards. Whining, alla time, "I don't want litter on the ice!" "I don't want to fall through because somebody else zoomed by at 40 knots!"

Then, crowning blow, violating all that's decent and right, you confront! Don't you know that's what reality shows are for? Witness your confrontations on Fox, get it out of your system, then go meekly forth and enjoy what's left of your peace and quiet on what's left of your lake.

It's you. I'm fine. Leave me alone.

ice

ps: irony.

i

Sorry IQ9, I don't watch TV reality shows. The 95% of good people should confront the 5% of bad people and put them in their place.

Well, your 2 years shy of Crumudgeon Status, where all things bug you. mad.gifwink.gif

What a bunch of pigs! I always take my digital camera with me. Just in case I do catch some fish. Might be fun to photo them in action and post them around town.

All you can do is do what's right, and just ignore the clueless slobs. They'll never get it.

Ice9.. good irony.. I was wondering there at first. smile.gif

MT - I usually try to bring the camera, but happened to forget it Sunday. As far as true crumudgeon status goes, I think I'm well on the way. tongue.gif

Unfortunately, I've never been one to ignore those kinds of folks. My Dad & grandpa always taught me to leave the ice (or lake, campsite...etc.) in as good if not better condition than when you got there. It's something I'm teaching my kids, and hope that they'll continue that with theirs some day. (They're only 12,11, 7, & -6 weeks and counting)... grin.gif

I only wish I had more proof as to whether the guy was drinking, because I was contemplating a call to the Plymouth Police, but wasn't sure enough that it was his bottles. mad.gif

I guess we all just need to pitch in and make sure that the 5% doesn't screw things up for the rest of us. grin.gif

Send the images to the town's local paper along with images of the clean up. Image one (stupidity) document name: The Don'ts. Image two (clean-up) document name: The Dos. Then ask them to print the story and the images, "The Dues And The Dolts Of Ice Fishing".

Am I just crazy, or...?

dsludge

dsludge, great idea! Maybe we can get some video of this and send it in to the DNR and the various television news stations and newspapers.

Part of what's kept me from going to some of the spots I want to try this year has been crazy people driving like they want to fall through the ice. Instead, I've been forced to choose areas that have proven to be unsuccessful areas.

You know, something I thought about.. maybe email Channel 9, 11, 4, 5, whoever? I know that 9 always seems to do some kind of ice survival thing every winter.

They could stick a camera or two under the ice, right between the water & ice, drive over them at different speeds with different vehicles. You could actually show the wake that is created...and the effects that too much wake could have.

I did email 'em a couple days ago, but no response as yet. Maybe if a bunch of us did the same?

A while back there was a program on History Channel about the Ice Road truckers up in Canada. They actually had a segment on wakes created under the ice, very interesting.

i dont think there is anything wrong with having fun out on the lake and all as long as you are being safe about and not next to people disturbing them. but the people that go super fast next to everyone i dont like. i was at waconia today and someone in a truck got within 5 ft of my fish house doin at least 30 and another later right by my buddie's truck doin 30 too i dont like those people

Animal - having fun... like riding a snowmobile or 4 wheeler? Maybe ice fishing?

Driving too fast on the ice is dangerous for more than just the one in the car. The wake created causes weak spots to crack and break. There is NO safe ice. Depending on the weight of the vehicle and speed travelling, you can go through 20" of ice at the right speed & weight. I just think more people need to realise this fact and take it into consideration.

I emailed channel 9... got a reply from Trish Van Pilson, they're interested in the story, and she wants ideas for which lake(s), bay(s), etc. to try putting a camera under the ice to show the wake as it comes. Also, I'm sure, to show people going way too fast...and why they shouldn't do it...

Anyone have suggestions?

I'm thinking Waconia, Chisago, Minnetonka, maybe Medicine?

How about Bush Lake in Bloomington?

Interesting, every time a car goes by, you can see the water rise in the ice hole. Always wondered about that.

See you on Medicine Wed and Thurs, Slick, I'll be out there with Feetdown on Wednesday around 3:30 or so, call my cell, and we'll direct you to the blue Fishtrap on the ice. grin.gif

After those 2 kids went in, and died so horribly, on Tonka last winter (who can forget the girl crawling within 100 feet of a house, and dieing curled up in the fetal position?) I think this would be a poignant lake to profile driving habits on.....

cyberamish-

That was one heck of a piece. The under water wave was so dialed in that they knew exactly how fast to go for the size and weight of truck to keep the wave from causing a problem.

In regards to "other people/kids, etc." driving/screwing around on the ice, it just seams to me that individuals with a lack of experience on ice end up putting themselves and others at risk.

I know it sounds basic but when I go out onto the ice, I have almost 100% confidence in the ability of the ice to support myself/snowmobile/truck etc at different times of the year. Part of that is a result of previous year's experiences, great reports on ice thicknesses by fellow FMers, info from resorts/baitshops, and plain old common sense on my part.

My gut tells me that these 'joyriding kids' don't take the same sort of precautions or prepartions that I do when I venture onto the ice. They aren't out there with ice picks and a chisel testing the thickness as they venture out onto 'unsafe ice.' They aren't augering holes to find out there is 18" of ice and it is safe to screw around with a car. They don't pay a resort $5 and more to utilize a plowed ice road for their safe travel.

For some reason, they get a wild urge to go screw around on the ice for the day (don't get me wrong, its definitely fun) without realizing what the consequences may be.