• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

were oh were would the eyes be

I have fished this lake for 2 years now and cant find the eyes on the ice. I know their in there but were? How shallow will they go to feed? Am i too deep? I have fished at night and day. I can catch northern all day long. But i dont want them. I cant get anything a night. I fish this lake because it is 2 secs away from home. The lake is (Fannie) in cambridge. Thank you for any reply

Don,

If you've tried deep, shallow wouldn't hurt. I always like to see some type of botton transition close by before I settle on a spot. Mud to gravel, rocks, or clay is a good deal. A significant depth change near or on that transition helps as well.

I don't remember Fannie having a great amount of structure, so those lakes can be tough to find fish in the winter. Do any weedbeds make it through the winter? That's always a good bet on stocked lakes.

Another confidence builder for me, but not always a sure bet, are areas that are inundated with perch during the daytime hours. The walleyes like to cruise these areas when daylight dims. The perch hunker down for the night and the walleyes try to birddog them out of their resting areas.

Thank you for the info ray. That lake has no percs for easy fishing no drops,structures,maybe by the weed bed but that is were i get the northern. Would the eyes hang out there at night? I'll try that next weekend. Thanks

don , i too live 2- seconds from the lake. fish it once in a while have done good for northerns, 24- 34 " range, a few crappies but no waleyes. i have found that the drive to green lake (outside princeton) is worth it for the eyes try on the edge of the sunken island, (away from the zoo). p.s. i get out alot on the area lakes, mabey we will run into each other. jim

Don,

I pulled a 19" walleye through on Chisago in 12' on a Tip-up using a golden shiner and neon lazar hook. I'm more of a Panfish and Northern guy on the ice and that was the first 'eye brought through for me. Crazy, eh? When it came up the hole, I remember thinking that it was the weirdest looking Northern I've ever seen! LOL

Good luck and ice one for me!

I think I will go out and try green. Went out in the summer and got a few eyes. Hoverman my dad has a cabin on chisago and of course a shany. I will have to let him know.

Thanks for the help.