Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
klbowe

BIG BUDDY RECALLED ! STOP USING THEM !

klbowe

I would ask that a moderator keep this notice posted at the top to make sure everyone reads it.

Below you will find a copy of the recall notice I was sent from Mr Heater. The recall ONLY applies to the BIG buddy heater.

From: Mike Hiltabidel <mike.hiltabidel@enerco-mrheater.com>

Subject: Big Buddy Heater

Big Buddy / Tough Buddy Product stop use notification

Mr. Heater is asking you to temporarily stop using your MH18B Big

Buddy/Tough Buddy heater.

We have recently discovered a possible safety issue with the MH18B

heaters. The company has filed a report with the Consumer Products

Safety Commission (CPSC), and is working with the Commission on a

possible recall. Any recall will be in cooperation with the Commission

and can not be done by the company unilaterally.

If I can get some information from you, you will be notified as soon as

the CPSC has given us final direction. In the mean time, again, please

stop using your product. Please provide the following information:

Name

Address

Phone number

Email address

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Q. I don't want the product. How do I get my money back?

A. At this time, we have to wait for direction from the CPSC on how

to handle repairs and returns of the product.

Q. How long am I going to have to wait?

A. We expect to have a final direction from the CPSC by Feb.1.

Q. What happens if I don't stop using my heater?

A. This is a safety issue and we've been asked to notify you of the

stop use. Beyond that we can't comment further until we get final

direction from the CPSC.

Michael Hiltabidel

Enerco/Mr. Heater Technical Service

4560 West 160th Street

Cleveland, Ohio 44135

Ph: 800-251-0001

F: 800-321-0552

riverrat56

what is acctually wrong with the heaters, i was cold tonight using the little buddy after reading this post and leaving the big one at home.

Tom I Am

I'm really not satisfied with my Big Buddy. I've tried both LP sources. Small bottle and 20lb cylinder. It seems to work great in the warm garage but I put it in the portable on the ice and it won't run both burners. It's as if the cold weather effects it somehow. If I turn it to high it's like it can't get enough fuel. The pilot flame reduces by 50% and it goes out. Maybe this is the safety issue? I know they are very tempermental to any type of draft and tend to shutdown because of that. My problem appears to be a seperate issue though. I used to have the original Buddy but sold it because it couldn't keep my 6x6 portable warm enough. I like them because they run quietly and don't emit any fumes like a sunflower heater. I know they recommend a fuel filter but I don't have one. If someone is experiencing similar problems please post here. I'm interested in knowing.

klbowe

Does your hose screw into the fitting for a propane bottle or attach to the quick disconnect fitting ?

Tom I Am

I purchased the 12' hose which is marketed with the Buddy name. It has a threaded connection on each end. No QD.

klbowe

Ken,

It takes 20 psi to open the check valveson the Big Buddy regulators. At 14 degrees, a full 20# tank only hasabout 35 psi. As the volume in the tank decreases, so does thepressure. It sounds like you weren’t getting enough volume tosustain the burners on high. You may want to use our hose number F271803. This hose will allow you to use virtually all of the propane in the tank.

Thank you,

Bill Sisley

Tech Service Manager

This hose connects to the quick disconnect, do not connect to the 1 lb tank connections.

Also make sure you read the

ICE fishing and Expert equipment forums on this site for more info.

Bald Eagle

I recently purchased a Big Buddy and am also very disappointed. It works fine on Medium but don't even bother trying to use it on high with 1-lb tanks. It will work for short time and then the pilot will start going out regardless of whether there is wind or not. To me it seems like this product wasn't adequately tested by the manufacturer. They tell you to use 1-lb tanks, but don't mention that they don't work on high. I had to put a 10lb tank on one side and a 5lb tank on the other to get this to work on high. This isn't exactly convenient. If the hose stated above works, the manufacturer should give them away since they are selling a faulty product. Don't buy a Big Buddy unless you want to haul around a couple large tanks with it.