Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
ec30_06

pepin

ec30_06

I was thinking about going out to pepin for a night or two. does anyone know what the ice is like and wher I could catch some walleys/ sauger at night or panfish/ pike in the day?

CrappieJohn

I'd target the Maple Springs area south of Lake City, but north of LaCapolis(sp). You'll find sunnies an crappies near wingdams and other structure with quieter water nearby. Look to deeper water with some current for the sauger/walleyes....the sauger will be deepest and right in the current.

Further to the north you will find some sauger/walleye fishing straight out from the ramp at Roschen Park in Lake City. The upstream side of Central Point (Trailer Point), again right in Lake City, can offer up some real good action at times.

Still further to the north , Hoksila Beach will put out fish. You'll see signs for your turn to the right as you travel north on 61 towards Red Wing....the turn is about a mile (if that) after the four lane turns to two lanes.

You will see where people are fishing at each of these spots and it would be my suggestion to join in with them. The fish are very mobile in this body of water, being hot in one spot one day and being hot in another the next. Portables are what I'd look for as the perms are there for the season and don't get moved much unless the owner is pretty savvie to the fish movements and changing ice conditions.

The ice , incidently , is something of an issue. Be very careful if you intend to drive on it! I would not drive unless I followed tracks from another vehicle as large or larger than the one is was in and I would have to see that vehicle on the ice! Follow any tracks exactly! And don't get lulled into the idea that yesterday the ice was ok and should be today....I know some people who have gotten pretty darned wet using that line of thinking. Most os the spots I have mentioned will be accessable from shore with maybe a bit of work, but at least you will know that you are pretty safe. The ice can change on this lake very quickly, as in from day to day!

hovermn

I second that! I go out there not to fish, but fly the hovercraft. Last year, a friend and I were out 3 times one week and saw open water spots move from one area to another. I would NEVER drive on Pepin, tracks or not. Current does some pretty nasty things to the ice!

Feb. 5-6, if you see a bunch of Hovercraft out there, wave. I'm hosting a hoverin and I'd love to stop by and check out the fishing!

hovermn.com

Jimmy

ec30, the ice on Pepin where I was on Sat. was about 16" thick but there was quite a bit of current; so much so that I had to have a hole for my line and a seperate hole 2' away for my locater just to see my jig. My advice is stick to the AM/PM for walleyes and Saugers in deeper water.