• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pike in East Metro

I am taking a virgin ice fisherman out this weekend and am hoping to catch and release a few pike in the East Metro. I'd like him to catch a few nice sized fish (which is why I thought to go for pike on tipups) to get him hooked on ice fishing smile.gif I haven't fished for pike in the area. Any suggestions on what lake in the East Metro we should head try?

Thanks much.

If I were in your shoes I would either head out to Bald Eagle or Forest Lake. I'm from the NE suburbs and have done well for pike on these lakes.

Those are two good lakes. Some others to consider are White Bear Lake, Lake Demontreville/Lake Jane in Oakdale, and Silver Lake in Maplewood. Silver is full of hammer handles(good for beginners), Jane has more hammerhandles, and Demontreville has some good sized pike, as well as good sized bass that get caught up on the tip-ups often. I know you said you wanted to get decent sized, but a first timer could have some good luck on any of these lakes.

gort-

silver lake in maplewood is excellent for action on pike. go out of the access and head off that point on the left hand side. you will see a few houses right near there.

also there are bonus muskies in here. i have seen a few caught while northern fishing.

i would put the tipups in 8-14ft out there, and if you stay after dark there is a chance at an eye or 2.

they were in there a few years ago.

Hey Pig_Sticka, sounds like you've been out there numerous times before from this and some other posts. What is the biggest pike you've gotten out of Silver? I think the biggest I've seen is a 24", and my friend caught a 30" too one night, if I am not mistaken.

biggest northern is not a very big one, couple lb's.

i mostly went for the walleyes and tip up fished the northerns before it hit dark.

one night i ended up gettin near 5 walleyes with having a ton more hitting but got too cold. it was one of the coldest nights a few years back.

i fished this lake because my dad lives right next to it and it was a easy place to get out on.

i have seen 15# plus muskies in this lake though, the biggest through the ice was a 8#er.

anyone ever find the crappies in this lake through the ice? i have heard rumors every few years there gets to be a few in there to be caught.

Nice sized fish you got there. I have always heard things about there being a decent amount of walleyes in there, but not too many people seem to go for them. As for crappies, I have heard there aren't a lot, but that was based off of polling and whatnot.

A buddy of mine had a house out there several years ago (95'-97') we did catch a good number of crappies in 6 feet. We fished in the weeds out from the old beach @ Joy park. I still live just a few blocks away and have seen the action out there again this year. I might have to give it a try some night when I don't have as much time.

Thanks for setting me straight, LuckBites. It's good to know there are some crappies in that lake too. I know there are a ton of perch and sunnies (which I have seen on my camera for confirmation) on there, but never knew that there were crappies in it too. I have heard that lake is basically a "testing" lake for the DNR stocking-wise, so I guess I should've guessed it had some crappies in it as well.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.