Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

1st Please Post Your Fishing Report - Then Join the NEW - Private Fishing Report Clubs   01/24/2018

Private Fishing Report Clubs - Click Here - Post Your Fishing Report Before Joining
      1st, be sure you post a fishing report in the forums, then ask to join after you post a fishing report in your area forum. The Private Fishing Report Clubs are where folks can share private fishing information with club members who have proven they know what's going on. Fishing Report Clubs Link also in Menu above. Apply to become a member today, while it's still easy. 
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Gort

Pike in East Metro

Gort

I am taking a virgin ice fisherman out this weekend and am hoping to catch and release a few pike in the East Metro. I'd like him to catch a few nice sized fish (which is why I thought to go for pike on tipups) to get him hooked on ice fishing smile.gif I haven't fished for pike in the area. Any suggestions on what lake in the East Metro we should head try?

Thanks much.

midwesthunter

If I were in your shoes I would either head out to Bald Eagle or Forest Lake. I'm from the NE suburbs and have done well for pike on these lakes.

gundy89

I'd try Battle Creek. Lots of fish.

Josh8481

Those are two good lakes. Some others to consider are White Bear Lake, Lake Demontreville/Lake Jane in Oakdale, and Silver Lake in Maplewood. Silver is full of hammer handles(good for beginners), Jane has more hammerhandles, and Demontreville has some good sized pike, as well as good sized bass that get caught up on the tip-ups often. I know you said you wanted to get decent sized, but a first timer could have some good luck on any of these lakes.

Pig_sticka

gort-

silver lake in maplewood is excellent for action on pike. go out of the access and head off that point on the left hand side. you will see a few houses right near there.

also there are bonus muskies in here. i have seen a few caught while northern fishing.

i would put the tipups in 8-14ft out there, and if you stay after dark there is a chance at an eye or 2.

they were in there a few years ago.

Josh8481

Hey Pig_Sticka, sounds like you've been out there numerous times before from this and some other posts. What is the biggest pike you've gotten out of Silver? I think the biggest I've seen is a 24", and my friend caught a 30" too one night, if I am not mistaken.

Pig_sticka

biggest northern is not a very big one, couple lb's.

i mostly went for the walleyes and tip up fished the northerns before it hit dark.

one night i ended up gettin near 5 walleyes with having a ton more hitting but got too cold. it was one of the coldest nights a few years back.

i fished this lake because my dad lives right next to it and it was a easy place to get out on.

i have seen 15# plus muskies in this lake though, the biggest through the ice was a 8#er.

anyone ever find the crappies in this lake through the ice? i have heard rumors every few years there gets to be a few in there to be caught.

Josh8481

Nice sized fish you got there. I have always heard things about there being a decent amount of walleyes in there, but not too many people seem to go for them. As for crappies, I have heard there aren't a lot, but that was based off of polling and whatnot.

LuckBites

A buddy of mine had a house out there several years ago (95'-97') we did catch a good number of crappies in 6 feet. We fished in the weeds out from the old beach @ Joy park. I still live just a few blocks away and have seen the action out there again this year. I might have to give it a try some night when I don't have as much time.

Josh8481

Thanks for setting me straight, LuckBites. It's good to know there are some crappies in that lake too. I know there are a ton of perch and sunnies (which I have seen on my camera for confirmation) on there, but never knew that there were crappies in it too. I have heard that lake is basically a "testing" lake for the DNR stocking-wise, so I guess I should've guessed it had some crappies in it as well.