• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fish tight lipped on local lakes or what?

Anyone having any luck getting those walleye and crappie to bite over the last three days. Last time I saw a good local bite was as this last snowstorm approached. Fished several local lakes over the last three days and drilled 100 times as many holes as fish I put on the ice. Their down there but barely interested. In fact the only way I could get bites on Splithand was to let minnow lie on bottom and then only three crappies the whole day!! I've seen them tight lipped but this is rediculous! Walleye fishing has been good on Winnie but does anyone know how it's been this week? Been trying to ice some fish on lakes I've never tried in the winter anything biting on the local usual spots, Poole's bay, Moose, Cutfoot, South end of Splithand, McKinney, anywhere?

At least I'm not the only one! This is the worst year I've ever had. I've been out several times now and I haven't had a decent catch yet. Even the fish that do hit are half-hearted about it.

Quote:

This is the worst year I've ever had. I've been out several times now and I haven't had a decent catch yet. Even the fish that do hit are half-hearted about it.

Worst year ever?.....

We have been stackin' up the craps up every weekend-most of the fish have been extremely aggressive, crushing artificial lure lures like there is no tommorrow, and the ones that aren't very active can be enticed with some live bait.

What lake are you fishin?....FIND A NEW ONE!!!-don't sit there if you aren't litin' em up!!! confused.gif

I HAVE HAD A GREAT YEAR SO FAR. NEW YEARS DAY TWO OTHER GUYS AND MYSELF WERE FISHING JUST NORTH OF RAPIDS. WE FISHED FROM 11:30AM TILL ABOUT 7:30PM AND CAUGHT OVER 75 CRAPPIES. THE LAKE... LOVE TO TELL YA, BUT TITE LIPPED ALSO. BUT, WE WERE FISHING A FOOT OFF THE BOTTOM IN ABOUT 32' OF WATER USING A PINK MARMISH MAGGOT JIG AND A CRAPPIE MINNOW. I HAVE CAUGHT ALL MY CRAPPIES ON THIS JIG. I BOUGHT THEM AT THE ICE FISHING SHOW AND CAN'T FIND THEM ANYWHERE. MADE IN CANADA AND TO HAVE THEM SHIPPED COST $18. KINDA SPENDY! FIND THEM AT MARMISH.CA

SHANE

Guess we just suck heh? I know they have been and still are pounding them on Red. For the most part we were trying to find some local walleye action on lakes close to Rapids that we haven't fished in the winter before.

As with most avid fishermen from around these parts we all got a few little secret lakes where on any given day you could fill the bottom of the ice shack with panfish but most of them involve a bit of travel.

I tried Forest Lake right in Rapids three days ago for a few hours towards evening, very cold -16 but I figured what the heck now thats close. Lots of nice sized fish on the vexi but not biters threw everything at them. Last summer I watched my son fill out on walleyes standing on the public dock, twice in about an hour both times!! including some guy catching a 7 pounder. There's lots of eyes in this little lake check it out on DNR. Think I'll try it again soon.

I've had a couple of good days on Forest Lake, but it's usually tough to fight off all of the perch and rock bass in that lake.

Quote:

Guess we just suck heh? I know they have been and still are pounding them on Red. For the most part we were trying to find some local walleye action on lakes close to Rapids that we haven't fished in the winter before.

As with most avid fishermen from around these parts we all got a few little secret lakes where on any given day you could fill the bottom of the ice shack with panfish but most of them involve a bit of travel.

I'm not saying that anyone sucks. The amount of success that people have is directly related to the of time and effort that is put into-and before-each trip(a little know how is also good), sometimes fishing 4-5 different lakes and drilling 100+ holes.

You got to be relentless if you wanna stack em' up!

I have to agree with bassman. You have to put your time in. I have been working for them. But have iced alot of fish so far this year. If you build it they will come. Good Luck.

Just messin around here guys! Not really trying to say anyone sucks. Wuz trying to say fishin was tough during that super cold snap.

Iced plenty of fish this winter also. I love ice fishin!! Sometimes to the point of near stupidity! How many of you went ice fishing day after Thanksgiving this year? Pushed a small boat onto Sylvan Bay with my floater coat and ice picks, bout 1.75 inches of ice. Cracked allot but man did I have a blast pounding the pike. Ten over 5 and about 10 more under in three hours.

My fishing parters uncle probably hit the nail on the head when he said "You guys are addicted to fishing, you'd spend your last three dollars on minnows instead of food." That one kinda hurt but the truth usually does!! Anyways we told him there's allot worse things a guy could be addicted to so let's leave it at that.

The paper lips are biting on Pokegama, my partner and I filled out last night in an hour. Nothin huge but all 10-12 inchers.