• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Babble's road

It seems very unlikely that there will be a road out of babbler's this year. I hear the ice is rough, but in what ways? Is it ice heives? or just sheets of ice on top of each other. If anyone has any pictures of what it is like that would be great. Also how much snow is on the Lake. Is it possible to get near gull rock with a vechile? Thanks for any info, as some of us do not have the luxury of living close to paradise.

Large heaves, sheets on top of each other and "shards" of ice sticking up all over. Add over a foot of snow and I don't tink you will be driving anywhere near Gull Rock

Wall-Hanger, I was fishing up at Gull Rock over New Years weekend, and it was hard to tell how broken up the ice was with all the snow. And I talked to some guys that said a truck broke through 10-15 feet out from shore because the guy drove on the wrong side of the crack. Also when I was towing in my ice fishing stuff on my homemade wood sled I hit a sheet of ice that was hidden by the snow that was probably 10 inches high and ripped of the front of my sled. (which wasn't all that bad, because it gave me an excuse to buy an Otter Lodge last night) It might have been possible to know where you are going with a vehicle before the snow, but after the 16+ inches of snow they got it is pretty much impossible to see the cracks, standing water (slush now), and old ice chunks that stick up.

KrashR-

Are you the guy who wrecked his wooden sled Saturday night last weekend? I was with the group you met up with and followed back to Bablers. We are heading back up Jan 13th. All I can say about the ice is...don't waste your time or anyone elses by being stupid and taking anything other than snowmobiles out there. With snowmobiles you can be as adventurous as you want to be. But until a road is plowed, keep the trucks in the designated areas near shore. Richard told me this is the worst he has seen the ice in 40 years.

LaqueDuBios, I was the guy you helped get off the lake, if we wouldn't have gone back to you guys we would have ended up in the middle of the lake and most likely died in the storm, we can't thank you guys enough for all the help you were that night. I don't disagree with you that no vehicles should be out on the ice from Bablers until a road is plowed, I will only be taking my snowmobile out. Thats great that you will be back up there Jan 13th, we probably won't be up until mid Feb. again. Good luck fishing and we hope to see you guys again.