• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Nokomis report and inquiry

The last couple of years I've been fishing nokomis during the winters and have done well with the eyes.Their size has been small, but growing. So I headed out there today for the first time this winter and seem to have had a relapse smile.gif Fished from about 3-5:15 managed two eyes about 7" long and one perch. The perch came on a grub which I use when I arrive because I've found that when fishing the main lake that it is best to fish just on the deep side of where the perch are. Fished two lines for eyes, one lively fathead under a bobber just off the bottom which I had two runs on at about 5, but the little buggers didn't seem able to get the minnow down. My other line consisted of a swedish pimple with the tail and rear half of a minnow. Caught both fish on this, but not while jigging, they only took it when it was perfectly still. This is not how they usually bite for me on nokomis so I was a bit surprised. All bites came from about 12-15 feet of water, which is the norm, if not even shallower.

So anyone else been out there this winter, and if so what's the report? Saw a couple others fishing the sand bar north of the bridge, but I stay away from others on nokomis. Good luck to all.

Lunker,

I am planning on heading out to Nokomis tonight. I was thinking of fishing the 25' hole off the boat landing. Have you ever fished deeper than 15'? Sounds like there are some walleys in the lake and also crappies. Also, I know that all Minneapolis lakes have restrictions for power equipment. Can you use a power auger on these lakes?

Thanks

I've posted the question before about power augers on Nokomis. I was told that you can use them, you just can't drive onto the lake. I used mine on Saturday afternoon/evening and no one mentioned anything to me.. the bit was slow, jsut a couple of small perch. I tried the south shore in about 22 ft, and the flats at 14 between the landing and the bridge.

You can use power augers on all the city lakes, but you can't drive on them and you can only use an electric trolling motor on your boat. cool.gif

thats why people were screaming at me when I opened up the 100 H.P. on Nokomis this last summer. grin.gif

After I had posted my question I called the park police and they said the same. Power augers are fine to use on mps lakes. So, I went out and fished. Marked a ton of fish just off the bottom. Had a couple on my pimple for a while, numberous bites though. So, what is the secrete to this lake. I know there are walleye's in it. Where and when should you fish.

Thanks

Fishinbuddy. I have fished a lot of depths on the lake, inculding very deep, and all the winter walleye action I've personally experienced has been shallow. I have one spot on the lake(sorry, won't give that one away) where I wil consistantly catch walleyes in 6 ft of water if the conditions are right. But for the most part I'd start out in the 14-16 ft range, and as it gets darker and the action picks up, more than often they move into the 10-12ft range. A few spots I will suggest are the point just to the side of the big swimming beach and rink(I do well there), the bars north of the bridge(there will be others there for sure so they are easily findable), the big point on the west side of the lake(I've also caught some big perch over here).Good luck.

Hey all, i'm new to Nokomis this year, just moved in down the road. I've fished it 6 times now in the last 2 weeks and have yet to ice a fish (searching for eye's), every time i've fished it though it's been after dark since i work till 5. I was just curious, i know there's fish in there, has anybody had success after dark on eye's or it primarly a dawn and dusk bite? Just want to know if i'm wasting my time out there after dark, if so it's time to move back to my other spots.

thanks for any input!

Two buddies and I tried to find the 'eyes in Nokomis on monday evening from 4:30pm-8pm in 15' of water straight out from the public access. I managed a couple of 7" crappies and three 5"-6" perch. Plenty of light, pecking bites after dark. Down-sized from a jig and minnow to a tiny bare hook and eurolarvae and discovered that, yes, you can catch perch at night. Go figure...

I find that the best bite for the eyes will come from about 1/2 hour before sundown to a half hour or hour after. You can keep fishing later, but I rarely stay to figure out a night bite, at least until I have a shack to keep me toasty. Drop by one of those spots I mentioned above, get there about an hour before sundown. Drill some holes at varying depths from about 8 to 20 ft. Find the perch. The depth you find the majority of the perch at(usually around 12 or so I find) move a little deeper and set up for eyes. I pop two holes next to each other, set one up with a lively fathed under a bobber, and a jig rod with a swed. pimple and minnow tail or just jig and minnow(small jigs on nokomis). Usually as dusk approaches you will get hit with some quick action. If the action starts, but then stops for 5 minutes or so, jump in to your next set of holes shallower. Often the walleyes will continue moving shallower and you can attempt to follow them in. Of course I'm not claiming I have a fool prof plan or anything, but this is generally how I manage a few eyes each time I hit the lake. Remember, that hour window seems to be the best.

ps. Often times you will get short bites if you are using a jig and minnow, and will become frustrated with losing minnows and not hooking the fish(I do). If this occurs I try hooking the minnow through the back, and that helps some times. I've had eyes on this lake cough up 4 of my minnows once I get them out of the hole.

Good luck all.

BigWormn, if you know where the public beach is (where there the bathrooms are), go to the left of the beach for about 50 yards. You'll see a sign there that says something like "careful deep water". In that same spot there's a big old willow tree hanging in the water. Go drill a hole on the deep side of that willow. Best (Contact US Regarding This Word) hole on that lake for post 5pm fishing. You won't pick up any monsters, but they run through there consistantly.

Lunker, may I ask what size of 'eyes you typically catch out on Nokomis and what the largest has been. The last few years from everything that I've read, the fish have been on the short side of a foot.

we picked up a couple 10" eyes and a few dinky perch last night, enough to keep us busy!

G man. Unfortunatley the majority of the fish will be a bit on the small side(understatement! grin.gif) With most running between about 8 and 12 inches. However, there are some nice fish in the lake if you can put up with the smaller fish. But the last few years the smaller fish have been getting bigger with still good numbers and I think there are more fish in there now that are of nicer size, but still mixed in with the new stocking results. I've managed some bigger fish, with fish in the 2-4 pound being occasional bonuses. But I will say that there are some big big eyes in there for a little city lake. I've personally weighed two that were caught by others that went 7lb+, one 8lb+ dead as well as seeing other nice fish caught. These incidents were in the summer, but the fish are there, just a bit elusive.

I do all my fishing without a flasher, so I imagine if you incorporate some electronics your results could do better with the bigger fish.

Good luck.

Thanks for sharing the info Lunker. I live near this lake, but rarely fish it, typically going to Medicine or elsewhere. I'd catch some fish on Nokomis, but always small.

hey lars0926 what are you catching out at the old willow tree spot also what are you using?

Since there are motor restrictions on the Minneapolis lakes, does that also apply to the alcohol consumption since there's no alcohol allow in the parks? Who doesn't enjoy a tasty beverage while on the ice?

Good question, i'd like to know also, i don't have a shack so that's how i stay warm!

animal, I usally go to that spot a couple time per winter. I swim the lake in the summer so I know that lake just about as good as anyone can (I do triathlon). Right by that tree there is a little drop off. From about 3' deep to about 8' deep. The best spot to set up is right over the drop. I've gone there fishing (that hole) for the past ten years. Whether winter, summer, fall - I've never gotten skunked. But I've also had big fish only few and far between. During the day the perch bite. For ever 40 dinks you get there is usually a 7-9 eater. At around dusk you can usually pick up some walleyes. That spot produces crappies in the morning almost year round. Just outside of the dropoff.

I'll more than likely be out there by myself on friday from about 3pm-9pm, give or take an hour. I'll be on the west side of the lake just north of the Cedar Ave bridge in an old clam junior 3x5. If any FM'rs are out and about, feel free to stop by and say hi. Getting there early mainly to be settled in for the dusk bite.

Good Luck,

Manny

Hey- I have been wondering about Nokomis, where and how do i get to the public access their, I am new to the area, a college kid at the U. Off the point by this access you say would be a good place to start? PLus what bait shops would be in that area, or in the vaccinty of Calhoun, which i also have no clue about, any info would be nice- thanks

nick

The access is located on the east side of the lake, along the parkway that goes all the way around the lake. But you can't drive on the lake and there is no parking at the access, so your best bet is to just find your spot and park along the parkway where allowed, or pay the machine at the big beach 50c an hour. A good spot to start is the point just north of the big beach(you can't miss this beach because thats where the big parking lot, ice rink, and playground is. The beach is actually kind of on the point, so you fish to the left of it. As far as bait goes, there are no shops too close now because they closed up, but there is a thread at the top of the metro forum that has all the bait shops in the twin cities area and is a big help. Good luck. If you want to inquire further just ask more or email me at [email protected].

I was out on Nokomis last night. Man was it nice out. Well the fishing was not. I was able to catch a couple of Crappies. Multiple bites on the minnow and on the jig, however they seemed small, as I could not get them to bite. Is anyone having sucess out here lately?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Lunker,

Was that you and your buddy fishing out on Nokomis on Wed. evening? If it was I am really sorry about my friends dog pissin' on your sled, man. Anyways if it was you nice to meet ya, hope to see ya again out there, and I'll tell my buddy to leave the dog at home next time.

I was out last night for a couple hrs and got a big ol' goose egg! One line with a small shiner and one with a fathead. I picked up a couple dinky eyes on Saturday, nothing to write home about though.