Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

MT Net

Wow! I just noticed this morning it was 34 below in Cook. Gotta' be making ice now. I'll bet the popple trees are popping and the ice sheet on the lake is groaning and banging.

Can't wait to scoop the slush out of the ice holes, dip the coffee pot in and start a fresh pot of Vermilion coffee! tongue.gif

slick814

And -43 in Embarrass... are we nuts or what? Hope next weekend there's a tropical depression or something up there. Maybe we'll get temps in the teens? grin.gif

upnorth

Welcome to the Northland guys cool.gif I have -35 here in Chisholm this morning.

mrwalleye_13

Sad part about that... Me and my buddies were in our portables at mckinely park during this. It was a bad morning, we almost burnt down the portable... and i put my head through the cheap plastic window in fear of the small propane explosion we had. Those windows on those portables are horrible anywhere below zero.. try -35 or whatever it was... touch them and they break.

slick814

Ouch. Propane explosion, breaking the windows... sorry to hear that. frown.gif

Might have to keep the flaps up on mine next time I go up. cool.gif

I only hope that the weather holds out for next weekend!!! grin.gif

MT Net

Bummer, hope the damage isn't too bad to repair. How'd that happen?

Yeah, it's supposed to get cold. Heater will be running on high!

Friday's High: -16 Low -33

Saturday's High -12 Low -26

Sunday's High 0 Low -10

shocked.gif

upnorth

Welcome the site smile.gif Wow, a propane explosion and putting your head through the window, man that can ruin a whole day of fishin, dude you gotta be more careful. crazy.gif

Hexum

How is the slush on Vermillion? I am thinking of hitting it this weekend but dont have a sled or 4 wheeler, just 4WD

Got stuck last year, was not fun

Cliff Wagenbach

There was no slush and good going on Sunday morn., but we got 4 or 5 more inches of snow Sun. afternoon.

Cliff

mrwalleye_13

well we were hooking up one of those dual one pound cylinder propane mr heaters up. My buddy was having a tough time getting the cylinder on, and he'd push it in and it would make a little propane noise... well it was still kinda dark out so we had candles lit in our holes see we could see the bobbers. The little bit of light that was starting to shine illuminated the propane fumes becuase it was so cold i am guessing.. well needless to say my buddy didn't like the propane fumes going to the candle. So his reaction was to blow the candle out, but the fumes went with his wind. And the fumes caught on the candle. I am sure u can see the rest of the story. Nice little explosion and mass conusion in the morning... Plus the plastic started on fire so we had to throw it outside and throw snow at it. It was scary though. Especially at 6 am

upnorth

What a way to start the day. Things had to start looking up from that point tho wink.gif

MT Net

Holy crap Mrwalleye13! But you're OK, and now a story to tell.

Was it the Big Buddy Heater from Mr. Heater? I read on the Ice forum that there may be a recall on the Big Buddy heater, the fuel line freezes and propane is vented out. Just a heads up in case it is.

Fisherman For a Lifetime

Glad you're Ok !!

My Mr. Heater sunflower "Burped" when starting it on Red Lake and the flame engulfed my face & mad bomber hat.

Took off most of the eyebrows & the rabbit fur on the hat. Saw the flames at my face and tried quickly to move my head back and swat at the flames.

TomWehler

Cool your OK, but it could have went the other way FAST!

Please be more careful.

I had two frineds in 1990 who worked for a gas company in Red Lake Ontario.

We were going from Dryden where I was working to visit them.

Get to lake cabin, see news on TV two young guys got blown up that morning hooking up a large gas tank to a lake side home.

Two hours latter we found out it was our pals.

Blew them into chunks.

Not good.

Please Be a bit more careful.

Only get one shot at this thing we call life.

No one I know who has left has ever come back to tell me any different!

Be careful!

confused.gif

Tom

Hexum

looks like -34 will be nothing compared to this weekend. I dont know about coming up now... this extra snow and the extreme cold will probably bust open a few pressure ridges and slush the lake up. I hope not!

mrwalleye_13

is the bite still really slow? I am back at college now and devils lake is the closest thing to vermillion... Me and a buddy stayed up all night and drove there at 4am. What a waste of needed sleep. 2 jumbo perch and they werent even that jumbo. I wasn't going home skunked but that was close enough. THere ain't crap for lakes around grand forks i tell ya that.

Cliff Wagenbach

A friend and I fish in my house this morning until around noon and caught 2 small walleyes, 2 tulibees, and 1 jumbo perch. STILL SLOW!

Still fairly good going and no pressure ridges or slush yet.

Cliff

upnorth

Saturday wasn't too bad I caught 3 keeper walleye and let go 8 or 9 littles ones. They were fussy though, you needed to jig to get them to come look and then let it sit for a couple of minutes and then they would maybe take it.

guideman

I did pretty good over the weekend at times, we ended up keeping 11 fish and releasing 5 between 2 guys. Nothing over 17" and nothing under 12", I had a couple big fish with teeth bite me off, but couldn't tell if they were Pike or Muskie.

The ice is in great shape although the surface is a little rough from the rain and slush we had a couple weeks ago. We had about 18 inches of good solid ice and travel was pretty easy even in my 2 wheel drive pickup truck. We are expecting about 6 inches of new snow tonight and tomorrow so I'm

not sure what to expect by Saturday. smile.gif

"Ace" cool.gif

MT Net

Great! looks like things are picking up! Hopefully the weatherman is wrong about that snow...and cold.

What's the lure of choice out there? Anyone using wax worms, or is it strictly minnows or minnow heads?

Me and Pops will stop in at The Ledge for some bait and coffee before heading up to the landing at 7AM. Maybe I'll get an ice cream cone and save it for later after the BBQ. Won't melt at -30! tongue.gif

Sorry, Slick, can't run out tonight to Med. Next week!

slick814

Sounds good, MT. Let me know which day you can make it, and I'll beat ya there... grin.gif

Hopefully it won't be -30 during the day.. -10 or sowouldn't be so bad... but either way, it's going to be a great time cool.gif