• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Superlines With Baitcasters

gunflint

Question

I'm looking at buying a baitcaster reel. I've been reading that superlines and baitcasters don't work well together.

I would be useing it mainly for bottom bouncers, threeways and open water trolling for walleyes. I don't plan on casting that much. Any thoughts? Thanks

7 answers to this question

the main reason i dont use superlines is that when u get backlash it tends to be harder to get out and it seems to do it more offten there are other reasons im sure.

I use superlines on baitcasters all the time in the summer.. It works fine.. as stated you can have some backlash problems becuase the line can dig into its self.. but for ice fishing that will not be a problem at all since you will not be casting! only thing you will need to do is put some mono backing on the reel first. The super braid will slip on the spool, which will make it seem like your drag is failing! If you put mono down first you should be just fine.

Lastly, if your reel does fail for some reson while reeling in a fish.. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT hand over hand superlines in without haveing leather gloves on.. that line can make a mess out of your hands!

gun. there is no problem using braids on a baitcaster, but a backlash does seem to be worse when you get them.( and you will get them) if you have never used a bait caster before, i would suggest putting mono on it at first, til you get some what used to using it.( braids are more exspensive if you have to cut it out)otherwise you shouldn't have to much trouble. i use both mono and braids on my reels. there can be advantages to both.

In my experience the superlines work better than mono on the baitcasters. It's also easier to undo professional overruns (backlashes) when they occur too. If you are just going to use it for trolling/dragging then you probably won't have to worry about backlashes though. So choose the line you like the best and go with it.

gunflint,

I have used a baitcaster with both fireline and powerpro for about 5 years. I've used it exclusivly for either longline trolling or bottom bouncing in deeper water (up to 40' on Rainy's reefs). I really like it for these applications but the most important thing IMHO is getting the drag set correctly. Braids dont stretch and to avoid losing fish you really gotta fine tune the drag. I think that you'll really like it for what your planning on using it for. Great sensitivity. I also like it for deep water rigging the reefs.

And you can always tie on a flourocarbon leader if you want to make sure those eyes in Gunflint's clear water cant see it wink.gif

Professional overruns, I like that. Kind of like being temporarely geographicaly dislocated (lost). Well it looks like I'll have to start shopping for a new reel. cool.gif

I've been useing a penn levelwind for trolling but I'd like to spool it up with leadcore this year. As far as superlines go I've been using Fireline for the last 3 years and I'm very happy with it, but I'm going to try PowerPro this year.

Thanks for all your help. I wonder if I need a new rod to go with my new reel? wink.gif

I use superlines on every single one of my baitcaster reels. I love using the stuff b/c it has NO memory.

The "professional overruns" are pretty easy to get out too. Maybe its just me, but I think they are easier to get out than mono. Although I have had some monstors in the past but I haven't got one that I didn't get out. I would almost say once you can master to untangle a superline nest, you can tackle anything else down the road. wink.gif

One little tip to get started on a superline backlash is to just get in there and pull on a loop. Eventually you will get one that will free the mess and then its all over, you won the fight. grin.gif Thats the nice thing about the line having no memory.

About 6 years ago I started out using Fireline then I found out about powerpro. I use PP on almost all of my rods except some of my jigging rods. Its some nice stuff.