• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

PREFERENCE FOR FISH FLASHER??????

steeplechaser2

Hey Everybody! I've been thinking about getting either a Vexilar FL18se or the Marcum LX3....I've noticed the wattage, etc are "better" on the Marcum.....looking for advice on a new locator? Any thoughts????? Thanks....especially to the IBOT boys! Looking forward to meeting up with Kelly P and those 16" crappies again SOOOOOON! cool.gifcool.gifcool.gifcool.gif

All depends. You can't go wrong with the FL-18. I've owned two of them. Most people here will tout the Marcum.

If you're gonna lay down over $400.00 for a unit, it should work for you all year.

Not knocking the Marcum but I'm able to plug my FL-18 into my Minnkota U.S. effortlesly for soft water use.

my 2 cents

VEXILAR, They are the only way to go. I have an 8slt and 18 and love them both. There is a reason why vexilar sells so many more than marcum, and thats because they are better. I never have problems with either one of them and i have had the 8slt for 10 years and it work just as good as day one.

Willie ><((((>

I was set on getting the FL18 but after reading alot of the post on this subject I went to the Marcum based on you can move the zoom on it and with the FL it just zooms on the bottom. I don't think you will regret getting either one. I know a buddy at work bought a FL18 before us and after he read my manual he is kind of having buyers remorse.

Yeah, either a Marcum or a Vexilar 8^). I personally own a Marcum LX-3 and think it has more to offer but honestly either one will do you right. Do your research, search this website (there's a million Vex vs. Marcum discussions), go with your gut. You'll be happy with your choice unless you somehow get a lemon.

gspman

My choice was a Marcum LX-3. I had a Zercom Colorpoint before so the yellow/orange/red color scheme on the flasher is comfortable for me.

There are many reasons why I feel the Marcum has the edge.

-Better target separation

-The flasher screen doesn't jump around as much as a Vexilar

-The zoom is adjustable. This is an awesome feature and very easy to use.

-The DCS charging system/battery meter. It gives you a digital readout of the battery capacity. Vex doesn't have this feature.

-The soft pack is ingenious. The front cover just velcros up and out of the way. No zippers to mess with. The soft pack was well thought out.

-The interference rejection is better. If you have a Marcum, you can cancel out interference from neighboring Vexs & Marcums a little easier than with the Vex.

My dad & I have been fishing side by side with an LX-3 & FL-18 in my Otter Lodge. We set both flashers out front and we can watch both at the same time. After doing this a number of times, I still give the Marcum the edge for a number of reasons listed above.

Good luck in your decision. You'll catch fish with both. They are both great units but when you sit done and get real picky about the fine differences, the Marcum has a slight edge in my opinion.

Go to the store of your choice and have them turn both units on. See how they both look and decide which one you would rather look at for 10 to 12 hrs a day. I chose the multi colorred one. Easyier on my eyes.

I own both and continually use both... I give the nod to the 18. They will both get you fish and they both work well, but as a long time vex user, I can't get comfortable with my Mar-cum. The adjustable zoom feature is nice but gets used very little on most ice fishing days. Most times you are zoomed into the bottom. The colors of the vex are a lot easier to read, and it fits in a bucket. I also like the transducer float vs. the bracket to hang the transducer.

Bottom line... either of them is a fine unit and it comes down to personal preference.

Good Luck!

Ken

Labs, I thought you didn't need a fish finder. Don't they just jump into your bucket?

Yep... just put my ugly mug up to the hole and the fish jump out of the lake and into the bucket! grin.gif save s on minnows!

Good Luck!

Ken

There is a guy with an LX-3 for sale in the for sale section. I had him email me pictures, it is like new. I was looking for something more used. Check that one out.

Yup, but it's a different hole and someone else's bucket. grin.gif When Labs looks down the hole them fish just want to get out of there. shocked.gif

The Vex also has different options for the ducer. I have the 9-19 for my FL18, and love it.

Everything mentioned above is good, but nobody has mentioned the fact that the Marcum has waaaay more power. You'll notice the difference when you go to check depths thru crappy ice. I have become the depth checker when i go with friends that use the Vex's, just for the fact that the Marcum shoots thru where the Vex won't. Plus, I use the zoom feature on a very regular basis, and love it. As far as being more difficult to read, I'm a Marcum guy and can't read the Vex. Just my 2 pennies.

I own the Vex with the dual cone transducer. I have noticed problems with it. It seems one degree cone shoots down one side and the other shoots down the other. So sometimes you have to rotate the puck depending on which side you are on. Otherwise I have always owned Vexilars. Has anyone else noticed this problem with the dual cone transducer? Or do I just have a bad puck?

never had a problem with mine.... though I only use the 9 degree in deeper water. My last 3 vexilars have been flawless!

Good luck!

Ken

SANDMAN, YOU SAYING THE MARCUM SHOOYS THRU ICE WITH NO H20 ON IT? I RUN A VEX AND THRU THE ICE IT WORKS FINE, JUST HAVE TO HAVE H20 ON TOP.

WALT.

It DOES shoot thru good ice with no water, but I carry a jug with me anyway, just don't have to use it that much. If the ice is really milky or has a lot of bubbles, a little water or a sidewalk oyster, and your good to go. grin.gif