Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
gjk1970

Snowmobile problems..

Question

gjk1970

Ok here I go again. Today I took out my sled a 1998 SRX700 warmed it up before riding it. Drove it nice for about a half hour around 30 m.p.h. then figured it was plenty warm and ready for some real riding since I am getting her ready for the Buffalo Radar run Saturday. Well cracked her open a couple times and then BLEW the belt I mean it BLEW to pieces. Well after pulling off all the strings left behind and stuck under the clutch I put the new belt on. She started fine no problems took off for the trailer she went fine cracked her open for a few seconds that was fine but right after that she bogged. after a minute of idleling she was fine again. But open her up and idle down she tends to hestitate trying to get going again til she idles for a minute or so. Now this is a proffessional built motor and was freshly done just before I bought it a couple months ago. I have not done a compression test yet since I do not believe she is blown. She starts to easy and idles nice and gets up and goes but after she runs out she hesitates for a minute. I just replaced the plugs and have not tried it again yet. I just thought the way that belt blew if a piece may have wacked one of the plugs perhaps it may have cracked one. Has anybody ever had this problem or know of what may be the problem?

7 answers to this question

upnorth

I am certainly no expert on snowmachines, but it sounds to me like you may have some kinda fuel delivery problems. Maybe something like gas tank venting or a weak fuel pump? Just sounds kinda suspicious that the thing would come back to life after idling for a bit, like maybe the gas tank vaccum reliving.

hanson

I'm fairly certain its fuel delivery.

It sure sounds like your running all the gas out of the carb float bowls and then it causes the stall.

Might need to take your carbs apart and check the fuel inlet valve (needle & seat). The floats may also be getting hung up some how. When the floats are up, the fuel inlet valve is shut and won't allow fuel to enter the float bowl. Definitley check the fuel pump also. Check the pulse line from the crankcase, maybe its loose or cracked. Guess it could be a plugged fuel filter also.

I guess I'd just double check every component in the fuel system.

Knotwood

Try letting the fuel flow after disconnecting fuel line before the fuel pump. Water/ice in fuel? filter? vent? Isolate each component, easy ones first. Does the flow slow after a minute or so? Open the fuel cap. Then check out pump, then carbs, squirt WD 40 while idling engine around the intake manifolds, impulse hose and connections, to see if engine drops rpm's- air leaks... Also, if/when you find out, report back, someone else might benefit from your dilemna.

Surface Tension

When you blew the belt the engine revved and the clutch may have opened with a bang. You may still have debris from the belt in the clutch or possible damaged the nylon pucks resulting in the clutch sticking and not closing all the way at low RPMs. This is most likely the bog you feel when starting out.

gjk1970

Tension~

Yes there was a BANG that scared the heck out of me. There was like parts of the belt stuck in the clutch but there was no way I could pull that clutch apart by hand to get them out. I am trying so hard to have this ready by Saturday but the shops are all kinda backed up and not taking any rush jobs as I am hoping this one can be. Saturday is the Radar run on Buffalo and I was hoping to participate. Do you know of a way to clear all that out of the clutch? I have not a clue. But I hope oit is simple..Thanks for any advice one may have on this problem..

gjk1970

Tension it looks like that was the problem.. So I would like to THANK YOU for your help and knowledge.

Surface Tension

gjk1970, Sorry I lost this post. Glad you got it fixed. Good Luck on the Radar Run. Let us know how it goes.