Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

1st Please Post Your Fishing Report - Then Join the NEW - Private Fishing Report Clubs   01/24/2018

Private Fishing Report Clubs - Click Here - Post Your Fishing Report Before Joining
      1st, be sure you post a fishing report in the forums, then ask to join after you post a fishing report in your area forum. The Private Fishing Report Clubs are where folks can share private fishing information with club members who have proven they know what's going on. Fishing Report Clubs Link also in Menu above. Apply to become a member today, while it's still easy. 
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Robert G

Cats On Chain???

Robert G

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me the best place on the chain other than the meth hole to catch catfish. I haven't had any luck in the past few years and would like to try this weekend. Also what kind of bait should I use?

IceHawk

The chain offers many areas to catch cats other than the meth hole. I shy away from it alot this time of year because of the pressure it receives after first ice.

The Horseshoe chain consists of a variety of lakes that are accessible and reasonably safe during the winter except for a few spots.Becker,Horseshoe,Schneider,Long,Bolfing are just a few of the lakes with many others contributeing into this river system.

Cats primarily stage in the deepest holes and breaks in these lakes but can be caught on many of the flats leading out of them. Getting a lake map and looking at structure in these lakes is a good place to start. Then checking different areas cutting holes looking and fishing for cats is the key to finding these babys in secluded areas. I really favor isolated rock piles that lead to deep water Alot of the bigger cats I have caught have came from areas like this.

They can be caught in other areas besides the meth hole trust me I have proven it over the years.

For presentation this time of the year they can become finiky and downsizeing to lighter line and smaller spoons is usally the key to iceing cats. I prefer Go-devils as I have found they really like these out there. Also don't rule out cut bait or small minnows and even waxworms on small jigs. Let the fish tell you what they want and don't be afraid to try different things (Lures,bait,line-size etc). A key is definately a good rod reel set-up these winter cats can at times bite as light as a gill or crappie.

Good luck in your search!!!