• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Medicine Lake ICE Event - Sat. Jan 22nd

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matt Johnson

• hanson

• metrojoe

• Kylersk

Hello everybody!

I'll be there! The Winni event was a blast and I'm sure Medicine will be also.

Are there any 'pout in Medicine?? I'm changing my tactics because largest 'pout seams to be winning these things. grin.gif

Matt- You might have to show me where to find a toothy critter like that on Medicine. That one looks about 34-35". Nice!

Chris,

We'll try and get you on some pike. The average size out there is incredible and they sure put up a fight on a rod and reel! No pout in Medicine, but there are some pike that would put most pout to shame smile.gif

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Hanson and Matt, Looks like I'll be fallowing you! I figure if I pull in right behind Hanson I'll be doing ok based on the results of the Winnie event! grin.gif

The better half just gave the nod.

Yiiiippiieeeeee...........................!

HoleHopper,

Sounds good. Looking forward to seeing you again! The perch in Medicine Lake are quite a bit lower in numbers then in Winni, but there are still some nice size fish if you can find them. Maybe Hanson will have a repeat? smile.gif

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

I'm not so sure about a repeat. I'll give it a shot but I think if I was a gambling man, Medicine Man might have the best shot. I believe there has been a lot of prefishing going on for this one. If I ever had a free weekend, I'd be out there.

Holehopper-

Glad to have you on deck. Now if we can just assign a security guard to watch your truck keys! grin.gifgrin.gif I'd be more than happy to let you follow me but I'm pretty much going at this one blind.

The fishkid and I will be making an appearence also. NO EELPOUT! confused.gif I guess we'll be spreading out the flags for some pike. We did fish a tournament there about 5 years ago and a BIG dogfish came through the ice and won it for someone. Looking forward to seeing everyone again. There also were many small crappies caught that day.

Ron

Ron,

Yep, no pout, but some darn big pike! Looking forward to seeing you again.

Wow!! Looks like we have the 1st and 2nd place finishers of the first ICE Series event of 2005 attending the Medicine Lake event, should be a great time!!!

Here's a picture of RonZych and hanson just incase anyone wants to pick their brains and talk to the top-place finishers of the first ICE event when you see them at the Medicine event smile.gif ...

WinniPout.jpg

Ron Zych with his tournament winning eelpout

WinniWeighin.jpg

Chris Hanson on his way to the Winni weigh-in

See you guys next Saturday!!

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

I'm looking forward to the event. It will be my first ICE SERIES event! The fishing hopefully will be good, but it will be nice to put some names with faces. See you guys next weekend.

Hanson, you don't have to worry about competition from me. I'll be throwing back everything I catch.

Hey Guys, can a South Dakota Boy fish in this event??? grin.gif I will be there with a buddy of mine from Monticello, it will be our first Ice event also, we are really looking forward to it!! Can't wait to meet some FMer's, sounds like a great time to be had!!! grin.gif

GOOD LUCK AND GOOD FISHING!!!

PERCHJR,

You know it!! We always welcome the Dakota boys! grin.gif Glad to hear you're making the trip, it's going to be a lot of fun!

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

I have a thiery about them pike. How is the shallow bite for them? less than 10 ft.? Can you blame me? Just trying to get some inside info! LOL

Matt, maybe this time I will have a chance to pick the brain of a fishing guru. It will be nice to see every one again! Hanson: "Ouch"! grin.gifgrin.gif

Oh yah, Ron and Hanson, I forgot to ask how you targeted those pout? How did you get em? Or is it a secret? I tryed to put a dead sucker on the bottom to no evail confused.gif My son did catch a small pike that way though. In 30 ft. Allready working on next year! grin.gif

I caught my pout on top of a hump in 26ft of water using a live sucker minnow and tip-up. 33+ feet of water around the hump. We had 4 other flags go off on top of the hump but didnt catch anything else on the tip-ups. Lots of spinning though. We marked many fish but they were reluctant to bite. We tried jigging spoons,waxies,minnows,minnow heads,minnow tails and small jigs as small as trout size jigs. Good Luck!

Very nice pike Matt! How deep of water were you fishing in and did you mark any weeds?

I'm hopefully going to fish it on Monday the 17th if it warms up a little by then.

Ron

I caught those pike in less than 10 feet of water (HoleHopper is on to something smirk.gif) and there were not a lot of weeds, basically just a bland, featureless flat. I rip jigged a Flasher Spoon tipped with a minnow head. If a fish showed up on the flasher it would hit, not too many sniffers. The pike are actually all over the lake, deep and shallow, but I think the bigger ones are still relating to shallower areas though. I plan on targeting pike the day of the event for a little while and pannies for the other portion of the day.

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Hey Matt, I was wondering if you could give me some pointers on where to kind of fish on Medicine?? We have fished it in the summer for Bass but that is it no clue where to go on the Ice!! Not to give out your "SECRET" spots though!! grin.gif Just some starting points!! grin.gif THANKS!!!

The best advice I can honestly give you would to be to stop in and talk with Joe Harty at Harty's Bait on the Southeast end. Joe knows the lake extremely well and he is a top-notch guy. Joe can give you a pretty good idea of where the fish are and what the latest scoop is on hot tips and techniques for out on Medicine.

Medicine Lake has a lot of good spots to fish in the winter. The holes are nice for panfish and the flats and humps produce a lot of pike. Some of the humps are also panfish hot spots too.

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Thanks Matt, I appreciate it!! We will stop in and chat with Joe about the hotspots!! Looking forward to seeing yah there on Saturday!!! grin.gif

Hey Joe its sean the person who stoped in to get a license for the packer fan.The Next Friday after christmas.

Im hopein to get out there for the event so ill see you then.

P.s Matt Johnson have you gone either muskie fishing or ice fishing with a guy named Nic i think hes still in college, but i know that he has a small truck with a crestliner boat. Hes my cousins boyfirend and said he has been fishing with you before. His FM name is EYEBALLS if that rings a bell at all ill find out his last name.

Me and the better half will be going there today and possibly on sunday to give this gem of a lake a good lookin.

And to find Hartys so that we know where it is fer the big day. I suppose it wont hurt to wet a line while were there wink.gif Anyone willin to meet up and takle the cold with us and learn a little bit more about this lake? I will not be headed out untill about noonish or so.

[email protected]

Yep, I know Nic, I've ice fished with him before at a Metro Get Together. Nice guy. I believe he fishes the city lakes quite a bit if I'm not mistaken. I also believe he was out on White Bear today too...

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

I just cleared my schedule and will be at the medicine lake event. I live less that 10 minutes away so if you guys need help with set-up or anything just shoot me an e-mail. I will also be fishing out there on thursday if anyone would like to hook up. I have been fishing the lake since I was about 5 years old so hopefully there in some of the same spots . Looking forward to meeting some more people. Adam

adam_miller11 at hotmail dot com

Adam,

Shoot me an e-mail. We might be able to put you to work. It will be pretty early though grin.gif

Yeah matt he fishes lake calahoun for crappies and walleye and most of the time muskie. we went out few months ago and had had 6 muskie follow and 3 pike that got off but it was fun.

Eyeballs is a talented angler. I wish he spent more time here on FM. I fished with Nic several times and have learned a thing or two from him.

Hey guys...Less than a week away for this event.

I talked with Joe Harty and he said he would be open around 6 or 6:30 to make sure every one gets some bait.

We are expecting a good crowd for this event. Weather should be nice and the fishing good!

Here is a Yahoo map if anyone needs directions.

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed=yCagwOp_0TpO2vyUmSqyTl3z47AvKUULoEIetc8wPaQV5D8-&csz=Plymouth%2C+MN&country=us&new=1&name=&qty=

Off shore parking will be availble at East Beach parking lot.

See everyone saturday!

I'm in. Have never been on Medicine before. Have been pretty happy with the action close to home and haven't explored many lakes during the hardwater season. Still gotta find a friend with a portable to join me. Otherwise, I may just cut a hole or two in the floorboards of my Honda.

See y'all on Saturday.