• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

babblers road

havent heard much about babblers road is he plowing a road this year or what????? what about long point?????

whats up ive tried twice and recieved no replies on the subject. well i guess we'll have the whole area to ourselves. or is richard not plowing a road this year? i talked to him during deer hunting and he didnt say anything then.

I dont think he is plowing. I havent been over that way myself but last I heard was that he was not going to plow at all this year due to the bad ice conditions. I know that people are driving out at long point though.

Babler is not plowing a road this year. Some people were driving along shore over to twin islands, but that was before we got a foot of snow. The ice is too chopped up for a road so at this point it is snowmobiles only.

I was up at Richard friday morning about 9am to pick up our house that we left there last year. Richard was getting his plow fired up and was not in a good mood. He has a sign out front that says no vehicles on the ice. He was getting the plow started up to go pull the guy out of the crack that had formed the day before. A 2003 Ford four door that dropped both passenger side tires in the crack. The doors of the pickup were touching the ice. I talked to the driver of the pickup and asked how he was doing, he said he was ok but that his wife, who had never been on the ice before, was not real pleasant to be around. Richard said that the ice froze up rougher then he has ever seen. He said that there is 4' high sheer slabs of ice sticking up all over and that he didnt think that there would be a road out of there at all this year. I talked to some guys that went out on sleds. The fishing was great, but pretty rough going even with a sled. Should be great fishing over there again this year. Just have to go out on sleds, portables and be careful.

what do you mean he is takeing the year off!!!!!!!!!! people depend on this road to go fish and all you ever hear is how richard is grumpy or mad because he isnt getting his 5 dollars. Sorry to rip on him but obviously his 5 dollars isnt needed very much if he just says he is not plowing a road. people depend on him i guess not anymore my 5 dollars stays in my pocket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Every time I have talked to Richard about the subject he is far more concerned about the safety of the people who use his road than he is about $5. I'm sure the reason he was grumpy is somebody didn't heed his warning and proceeded to fall into trouble. Then it is up to him to bail them out -- even if he charges them for it. If he says sleds only, then sleds only it should be. Otherwise don't come running to him for help when something stupid happens!

I looked at the ice first hand and it would be virtually impossible to plow a road out there. Richard was upset with the guy for driving around his no vehicles on the ice sign and then the guy coming back begging for help. Trust me that Richard would love to plow a road and take your measly 5 bucks for doing it. These guys bend over backwards for us guys that come up there.

I was out there over New Years and a plowed road would be nearly impossible. I do not blame richard for not plowing one this year. It is a lot of hard work to maintain a good plowed road and then he has to deal with all of the (Contact US Regarding This Word) and whiners.

Even if Richard opened a road somehow, he could never keep it open all year so people could get their houses off. There are plenty of places to get on the ice.

Hey Gordy easy on Richard!! He probally has throw rugs made out of $5 dollar bills around the house. I also have heard the ice is kinda tough over on Rocky Point. Thats a tough area to keep a road but a good area to fish.

Tats what I tinK!!

grin.gif

If you haven't walked in a guys moccasin's, its best not to judge him. Richard Babler is one fine guy! If you had gone through the surgeries and hardships he has gone through, I think you would have a better opinion of him. There is no give to those large ice chunks embedded in the ice, the only thing that gives is the equipment breaking up, and a bunch of welding. Hauling broken plows and equipment off the ice and laying on the snow to weld it up happens all to often with normal ice conditions say nothing about the adverse ice situation which exists now. So lets take a deep breath and think things out a little before bad mouthing a guy that will give you the shirt off his back if you treat him with respect. We had a trailer there many years before Richard took over the business from uncle Frank, and we know him well.

I hear ya king,

Richard is one heck of a great fella,

and any moron that thinks he's doing it just for the 5 measly bucks is just that, a moron. if any one thinks maintaining that road is easy, welllllll, why not lease it for the year and get a plow and make your own throw rug. oh, and by the way 5 bucks is too cheap with the price of gas these days,i think it should be higher, just like every thing else is these days. we were up there over new years and i can't see how that area could maintain a road this year, and i have never seen richard grumpy with the plowing or road conditions, the only time i have seen him upset is when some tightwad skips out on paying for the road when he is not manning the pay booth,now there is a real sportsman,use the road and skip out on a "honor" system like that. confused.gif

nuff said.

hey tnt i have had a cabin at babblers and Franks for i would guess 30 = years I used to sit and play cards with Frank and my grandpa in his one bedroom home so dont tell me what i know or dont know all i know is that Frank had a road come heck or high water He provided a service and did all he could to provide it. As for richard everytime you stop there you feel like you are bugging him Maybe he needs to get someone to help him TNT you sound like you know it all why dont you go help him!!!! This forum is a place to state your opinions That is mine, and further more most people that work up there seem like us (the consumer) are bugging them if we ask a question or want sum input from someone that works the lake for a living. After all we are paying there salary. If you can disagree with that well lets hearit

Here are some of the answers you get from resorts Hows fishing? oh not bad some better than others its good all over should have been here yesterday, and so on Give us and honest answer for once well eniough ranting and raving I am not trying to disrespect anyone but if you cant provide the service shut the doors.

gordy

Simple response to all the ones ranting if you don't like the guy why do you keep going back? If I use a service and I am not satisfied I don't go back. Like previously mentioned 5 dollars isn't jack for what those guys have to do. Maintain stuff is not cheap. Like mentioned if you think it is worth it get the equipment and do it yourself. First time out when you break something up maybe you will realize how though it is.

see you people just love to jump on anyone that likes to put the truth out there you just dont want to know the truth it is some how better for you. I dont want to work at the lake that is why i dont If i dont do my job i will get fired People come up to the lake and exspect good services not sorry i am not going to work this year.

So when you have a vacation planned and someone wants you to work, you work? I don't know Richard from Moses but, it is my experience that when people supply a services generally they mostly hear the negative (the road is to rough or to narrow or drifted in in this spot). A thank you goes a long way people. confused.gif

Gordy, I don't know either you or Richard but if your job analogy is correct It sounds like you already solved the problem. Since Richard is an independent businessman he essentially works for each and every fisherman on an independent basis. You certainly have the option of "firing" him(discontinuing to use his services) and hiring someone else. Furthermore, Thanks to good old capitolism. If the demand for a service is so high and the supply is so low it should be a no brainer for a savvy entrepeneur to step in and fill the gap. Of course this person would have to invest thousands in equipment, either own or lease an extremely valuable piece of property and unless they are extremely knowledgable regarding that area of the lake, hire a reliable guide. Something tells me it's gonna cost you a heck of a lot more than $5.00 for the new guys service. Point is...According to the Ice reports and fact that Richard is not offering a road at $15/car it's probably darn near impossible this year. Just my take.

Basically I think the frustration is that is the only road access to that part of the lake. If he does not do a road no one will have access to put their houses out or drive trucks. Do you think Adrians would ever NOT have a road, or long point, or Zipple, I know the ice is better in those areas generally but I was just at Zipple and they had the road plowed after 10 inches of snow (wide road) before 7 am. I seen two of their trucks have problems, all the work they did, and it all was with a smile. I know richard works hard, but to pay $5 and he is NOT doing a road makes no sense to me. Arnesons will make lots of money this year, people will have to pay to be taken out. Since they wont do a road and maybe lose house rental money. Will Babler contract out for someone to do the road? my guess is he would not let someone else make the $5 if they wanted to do it, just curious.

I just want to fish in that area and probably my anger toward no road is unsubstantiated (it may not be possible) but to express frustration makes me feel better.

I was out to the reefs over Christmas before the snow. The middle is extremely busted up. From 12mile south it looked like all the way to bablers was busted up ice shards. I don't see how it would be possible at all to plow a road in that mess. I'm sure if it were possible he would be plowing.

Hey gordy,

i don't want to turn this into a pissing match or bashing segment, so i will try to keep this civil.

we also have had a trailer at bab's for 10+ years and we used to stop and visit frank when he still lived at the point. the thing about frank was that he never tried to maintain the miles of roads that richard has been, and when it got real tough, you paid to park and use his access onto the lake,via snocat or what ever means of travel ya wanted. as far as your claiming that bab is grumpy all the time ya must not have taken the time to know him very well,like i said earlier, i have never seen him in a bad mood from plowing or telling ya about where the fish are biting,the only time he is upset is when people skip out on the access fee,or drop in a match book or an old lotto ticket,and countless other items instead of the road fee, or head out when he says travel at your own risk today and then get stuck and beg him to help, and as far as helping him,wellllll, we have many times,picked him up and brought him back to shore when his drive shaft broke while plowing, hauled him back when the big dodge ran out of gas after many trips out the 16 and back,took him to shore after the plow broke when he hit a crack and had to pull the truck in with the tractor,then on the way in we stopped at his garage and watched as he spent hours welding on his plow to get ready for the next trip out,and when things were going better spend many a day visiting in a fish house with him,followed him out to the reefs to fish along side of him and enjoy a day of fishing,even in the summer when we stop through the camp ground and he is out mowing grass, always a smile and friendly hand shake and time to shoot the bull.

now as far as paying his salary, i think not,we are paying to use his access to get on the lake at this prime area to fish, and he makes a road for us to drive on when the conditions allow it,and as far as providing the service he would love to but with the ice as it is this year it doesn't look good, he could do it but the cost to maintain it would be much higher,so how many would be willing to pay the price and not whine or bash him on the cost. and the forum is for stating your opinions but rember the no bashing clause eh,

once agian nuff said,

time to fish.

oh by the way,

hats off to Richard and Mary for the many years of good service. smile.gifsmile.gif

tnt

Well said....The ice is REALLY bad in that area!! I would not expect anyone to even attempt plowing a road through that mess this year!! It is a darn good area and if you are very CAREFUL you can still access it with snowmobiles and portables...drive slow and keep your eyes open for cracks...they are sure to keep shifting all winter in that area with all the jagged ice. For those who are geared for the conditions it could be the best bite on the lake all winter just because of the "little" traffic it is going to get!!