• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Springsteel

grip-em+rip-em

Fished out of Springsteel saturday and sunday. Had fantastic fishing early both days, but very slow going in the afternoon. The one that got away....I had something very big on sunday morning, when I set the hook she wanted to stay on the bottom, so Im thinking Walleye. About half way up my rod snaps off at the base, where the rod meets the handle. When the rod snapped my line broke. Just another story of the big one that got away.

Wow! Now that's something I've never seen. Broken rod, snapped the line on a big fish.

How much snow is up there?

Welcome to FM grip!

I'll bet it was a large northern! I was out there last week and caught some big ones...alot of fun!

Boener what kind of handle on that there rod that broke? Was it plain cork or something different?

Fisky

cork handle on the rod. one of my old rods, pulled up so many walleyes it must have gotten a little week through the years. Lots of snow up there. they got 8 inches on thursday night and must have gotten another 8 or so on saturday night. the two guys that plow out there were sitting by shore on sat. morning wondering if they should even plow with the wind the way it was. They asked if I was going out and I said yes, so they said well just follow us then. I would say the 5 bucks is money well spent.

How far has Jim been plowing? South tip maybe? Sandbar?

Thanks....fiskyknut

I'll 2nd Boener, probably a very large northern.

Or it could have been the next state record eelpout!! blush.gif

Grip-em, my nextdoor neighbor caught a 41 inch northern about a week ago it was tagged. He released it. It also was by Springsteel. my guess it was a northern. Then again it may have been a world class walleye!!!

I hope fishing is as good when I go up there next weekend, me, the old man, my sister, and my 7 year old nephew are going to fish out of springsteels houses. I might have to bring the portable with in case it's slow, I want to show that kid how to catch fish.

How does the saying go, fish with a kid for one day, and he will catch you one meal... teach a kid how to fish, and he'll feed you at least once a winter for a lifetime?

Well, maybe it's a bit early for that, but it should be a good time. It'll be the second time he's been ice fishing in his life, and it'll be the first time he has his own rod.

they are plowing out to the sandbar. there were some guys that ventured out further on saturday, but by sunday the only thing going past the sand bar was sleds. Lots of snow up there. As I tell the story of my rod snapping in two for the next 35 years, It will always finish with "I bet that was the next state record walleye"

I wonder if they have been plowing this week? I would like to head out that way this weekend one day. Anyone layed into any perch on this side of the lake? Havent really heard any reports of any 12-13" perch yet!

Maybe I can hook into that "record walleye" wink.gif

We got into some nice perch last weekend. 7 or 8 big ones per day and some smaller ones. If you catch that monster walleye with a gold jig in his mouth let me know. He was all of 19lbs!!!!

Hows the road and fishing been out on the sandbar out of springsteel. Looking to come up and fish this Sat. Kids got a game in Warroad in the morning , would be easier to fish out of Springsteel. Any updates would be appreciated.

Tight LInes grin.gifgrin.gif

Anybody have any reports on Ice and Fishing out of Springsteel. One of the employees at Cabelas said they did really good out on the sandbar M-W of this week. Can anyone confirm or deny this. Thanks.

Tight Lines

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.