• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Registering a Portable Shelter

Where does a guy register his portable shelter? (MN)

What is the yearly fee for using a shelter?

Papa W:

You can buy a license for your portable at any of the places you might buy your Minnesota fishing license (bait shops, sporting goods stores, etc.) I believe they cost around $12. Don't forget to check the regs for the specifications on how to post the license on your portable along with your identifying info. (Name, D.L.#, address, if you prefer.)

Jared

so if i wanted to register the one man weiner to fish tommorrow, i would need to print and laminate it and then post it on my shack next to the license. sorry, i'm from wi, this is a new concept to me.

I don't have the regs in front of me, but it's more expensive if you're from out of state. Residents pay $12 annually. It's more like $30 for non-residents.

The rules say you have to display the tag you get within a certain distance of the top of the shelter. I put mine (it's self adhesive) on a strip of cardboard and tie the cardboard to the mesh vent window of my Fish Trap pullover. This adhesive permit is about the size of a credit card.

Then you have to put your name and address on the shelter in letters at least 3 inches tall, or you can use your driver's license number instead. I used permanent black magic marker to write mine on the shelter. But you can write them on a piece of, say, white fabric and stitch the corners to your shelter if it's a cloth shelter, or you can put it on another piece of cardboard and nail it on if it's a permanent and you don't want to write that info on the wall of the permanent.

At any rate, as I said I don't have the regs in front of me, and they're pretty specific on where you should put those things, but it's all covered in the regs themselves.

Minnesota makes it so that out-of-staters gotta want to fish here pretty bad to pay the elevated fees. I've only lived in MN for a couple years, having lived in the border states of N.D. and Wis most of my life and fished in MN waters a lot of that time. I've always considered it money well spent (hundreds or thousands of hours of great times comes down to very little $ per hour for licenses and permits), but it sure was nice to pay resident Minnesota fees for the first time ever.

The easiest way to do it is to make a placard that you have everything on, either your drivers license and name and shelter license, or name and address and shelter license. All letters need to be at least 3 inches tall. Like I said, just make a placard with all that on it, and post it on the outside of your fishhouse, a lot of newer manufactured fishhouse's have a clear plastic compartment on the outside just for that reason.

i have actually been a minnesota resident for about 3 years but have never had my shack up here before so never had to register it, thanks for the help.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I have a clam 5600 which came with a long narrow compartment for a license, but wasn't sure what all was required on the portable (name, DL # etc).

I'll grab a regs book from the store when i grab the license.

Thanks again!

Actually, all you need is your MN DNR # in 2 inch letters, and the tag that is supplied with the license. If you look at your MN fishing license or shelter license you will see a 9 digit MDNR number near the top of the license. That number is exclusive to each license holder and does not change, it is permanently assigned to you by the DNR.

It takes much less surface area than trying to fit in your name and address or your drivers license #, less frustrating to attach to your portable shelter. This info comes directly from the MNDNR web site.