• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sorry to complain but I Heard from a buddy a truck went through on 10 Mile. I guess the guy was driving right next to open water. Buddy drove by again the next day and just couldn't believe it because there was another (Contact US Regarding This Word) driving right next to that same area the truck went through the day before. Their just begging for trouble. These people need to use there heads. Nobody wants to see anyone dieing out there. Your also putting the other people on the lake at risk to. Especially the ones that go out and save yourxxxxx. Lets try and be a bit safer. I realize accidents happen but when there is open water right there your really increasing your odds of having one.

Good luck

J.B. ...I don't worry about these individuals anymore. It's the higher powers above weeding out the the (Contact US Regarding This Word) from the sensible folks.

JB....Don't worry it's the higher powers above weeding out the (Contact US Regarding This Word) from the sensible/common folks....I don't sweat the issue anymore. I just shake my head and chuckle to myself.

I agree everyone needs to use common sense and be safe. However, I caught a lot of guff this year from people telling me I was on the ice way too early and driving the 4 wheeler before it was safe. It seems that outdoorsman, whether part or full time, always seem to think that the way someone else does something makes them an (Contact US Regarding This Word). I have a spud, I have a tape, I know how thick the ice is, because I am actually there, not sitting inside or in a big city questioning how someone else is doing something. I appluad the attitude that it doesnt bother you. It shouldnt, it's really nobodys business except the people in the vehicle.

jcbh

I agree it's nobody's business in the vehicle until I or someone gets the call to go rescue that person or persons. I have been there many times years ago on water rescue, not only do these knuckleheads put there lives in peril, they do so for the rescue team also. You might know what's going on, but some of the majority don't. Thats why I said it does'nt bother me anymore, each to his own. To me there is no such thing as safe ice. There can be good ice one day and a weather system move in a dump a foot of snow or rain and that changes everything the next day. Goot Luck!

jcbh -

I agree with you for the most part. If a person goes out and checks the ice thickness and has a good awareness of his personal situation, there should be no problems. On early ice, my spudbar, picks, and tape measure tell me weather it is safe to go out or not. This is true for most of us.

When trouble happens through negligence, however, it can cause trouble for people other than the ones in the vehicle. The rescue squad folks get put in harms way when someone breaks through early or late ice. (I fear late ice more than early ice, btw)

Nobody's business, until someone does go through. Then there are the search and rescue teams, the people attempting to remove your vehicle, the families reacting to the loss of their loved ones, and so on and so forth. If you are careful and are checking depth, more power to you! I wish more people took the time and effort to make sure the ice is safe, without using their own vehicle as the test with friends and family in tow. Thanks for being careful and allowing others to see that the ice is safe in your tracks (no sarcasm whatsoever). McGurk

I did not put much thought in the search and rescue squads. Point well taken. My only beef was hearing how some dummy was out on the ice, and it was me, and I knew it was safe. Gissert, I agree about the late ice, much more dangerous in my mind that early ice.

Yep, I hear you. I was called a dummy a couple of weeks ago. I was fishing on 5 inches of nice clear ice. Someone told me I was nuts. After all, the lake had been open five days prior, so the ice HAD to be too thin.

The only good ice is in a drink. JCBH-Have you been out on OT lately?? i finally picked up my first walleye on Wall this Sunday. No bites for days up until that point but they seem to be moving in now. Perhaps we will have to get out soon. Let me know.

Sad news - A truck went through on the narrows on Pelican. The body of a 25 year old man has been recovered.

That's sad I was hoping we won't get that kind of news this year!25 years is way to young!!

Good one lipper. Chunks picked up 2 nice ones on OT last night, I got skunked. Been pretty slow. I think I am headed to LOW with Smithy for the weekend. Let me know when you want to go to OT, or when you have them biting on Wall.

Man, I just read the rest of the posts, was it Pelican by Ashby or the big Pelican?? Thats horrible news.

Pelican by Ashby. My understanding is it was in the narrows. There is an article on the Alexandria Echo website. Godspeed to the family.

I am not familiar at all with the ice on this lake, but it reinforces this thread from the last few days on being aware. Things can change so quickly.

We had a big warm up in February a few years back. I had never seen ice conditions change so rapidly. I fished on Ottertail on a Friday. I drilled a hole in about 5 inches of standing water. It swirled down the hole like a toilet, nearly unfishable. I gave up and went home and came back on Sunday when the temps had cooled and the water was gone. Scary stuff, There were 2 to 4 foot diameter holes all over the place where water had enlarged them. I decided I was not that hungry for fish and went home.

About a dozen years ago we were fishing out of Arnesons on LOW in March. It had been warm, and almost all the snow was gone. When we got there, a cold snap hit and the ice was really booming and shifting at night. The next day, we heard on the radio that someone had driven a truck into a large open crack off Long Point somewhere. There had been trucks running around everywhere the prior day.

It is scary how fast things can change sometimes.

Here is a good video on ice saftey and saving yourself if you happen togo thru....http://www.exn.ca/video/?Video=exn20020325-icewater.asx

That is a really good video, WallEYES! Thanks for sharing. I think more people need to see this.

Excellent video, I'm going to bookmark it, and watch it every ice season.

Probably not a bad idea, but I wondr how many people carry a long rope in the vehicle, or even life preservers. I know I dont, but I was thinking today about how I would like to keep my little boy as safe as possible when he starts going, and its not a bad idea for myslef either. sometimes I fish these smaller ponds, and there really isn't anyway living around there, I'd hate to be in a situation where I couldn't help somebody. I was thinking earlier today about the guy that drowned on pelican, I heard one of the windows was down, so he either had it down (which he should have) or he opend while under, but just think of the shock and the panic, and that must obviously be what got him. sad deal.