Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
sdghsdgj

tips for Bald Eagle?

sdghsdgj    0
sdghsdgj

im going out on sunday and am wondering if anyone could give me a few tips, it's my first time doing some serioius ice fishing in a portable, also my first time on the lake, we're (Contact US Regarding This Word) fishing so i'll gladly take anything i can get, my emails tylerflom13@yahoo.com i got a new GPS so any coords would be helpful, and i have a aqua view, (i know, im spoiled hehe) so any structure to look for would be greatfully appretiated, finally, is it safe to drive on?

sdghsdgj    0
sdghsdgj

bump... i know its still on the first page but im going sunday so i have only 1 day left frown.gif

wild_instigator    0
wild_instigator

I'm heading out there tomorrow. I'll try and post something tomorrow night after I get back. If you don't hear from me, the fishing was good and I went straight to bed. cool.gif

sdghsdgj    0
sdghsdgj

ok thanks!

DRH1175    0
DRH1175

Walleye fishing baldy really isn't all that hard. Look on the map you will find many breaks, humps and bars. Find yourself a break and set up on the drop off. One spot I did quite well on last year was on the north east side of the main island. I was about fifty yards north on the break. There is a bar there. Once it drops it drops quite quickly set up there. Last year I had it to myself for several weeks. I caught walleyes pretty much every time with several fish nights. Another spot to look at is on the east shore north of the grass Island south of the rocky point if you look on a map you will see several curves to the break. set up in one of the corners on the break in 15 to 20 feet of walleye and I will pretty much guarantee some action. The key to always remember on this as every lake. Try to fish by yourself. Crowds in my experience are your worst enemy. Too much noise etc... for my liking. Hope this helps.

sdghsdgj    0
sdghsdgj

what do u mean by "a break"? i probably know it, but call it something else

wild_instigator    0
wild_instigator

Well, had fun on Saturday at Bald Eagle until the sleet storm came rolling in and blew us off the lake. We were setup in about 18-25 feet with our tipups and jiggin. Once the wind and sleet hit, we packed her up and headed out (about 2pm).

I tell you what though, that parking lot at the public access was packed. Not one parking space left open. We arrived in the morning and walked out because the Sheriff still had the access closed down for vehicles.

Hope your fishing was better. Sorry for not posting results sooner.

Ole #1    1
Ole #1

I was out in the ice storm, it was horrible. I caught a 6 inch walleye on this lake the last 4 trips out. I fished south of the island in 20 ft and by the redds in 17-25 ft.

I'm going to try the north end tonight for walleye and crappie.

Any tips or help would be great.

Ole #1    1
Ole #1

Does Anyone knw if the baracade is still there as of this morning? It was there last night.

Hugo    0
Hugo

Ole,

I just talked to the Sheriff and it is closed today but they were going to re-evaluate the ice tomorrow. He said they are thinking about opening the access and then placing a snow fence around the pressure ridge where the 2 trucks went in (just the front tires). He said it was close to 8 feet wide in some places over 20ft of water.

Dave

Ole #1    1
Ole #1

I went last night and the baracade was still up. Where is the spot that the trucks went through? I haven't seen that spot and it would be nice to know where it is. I fished the northern side of the lake yesterday from 4:00-6:00 in 22ft. I marked a ton of fish on the vex, I mean a ton. All I could catch were perch. Then I melted my line on my lantern and chipped a tooth biting the eye of a jig (I was just trying to cut the line). I got frustrated and left.

Hugo    0
Hugo

Ole,

Rough nite out there!!! My dentist always gives me grief about using my teeth to cut line and such.

The sheriff told me the pressure ridge was on the south side of the island. I haven't been out since I pulled my shack out a week ago but I am planning on going tonite if the access is open.

Dave

Ole #1    1
Ole #1

Let me know if you go out tonight and if the access is open. There were a lot of vehicles on the ice last night, I wonder if they were just driving around the baracade?

Good luck Hugo.

Hugo    0
Hugo

Ole,

Will do and yes that was what they were doing - driving around the barracade.

Dave

blk94fiveoh    0
blk94fiveoh

They removed the barricades from the launch sometime this afternoon...

wall-i-king    0
wall-i-king

That is good to hear. I am planning on going fishing tomorrow and I didn't want to have to walk out. So the question now is where exactly are the fish or are there any hints that could get me pointed in the right direction. Also are who might be out there tomorrow night? I am always looking for people to hit the water with. If any of you guys are interested in meeting up post on here or shoot me an e-mail at navr0012 at d dot umn dot edu. Good luck to all are going to give it a shot.

keep fishin'

wall-i-king

Eds    0
Eds

We will be heading out there tomorrow (01/05). Is there any access beyond the county park that there is no fee because we are looking to save a buck or two because we are unemployed, fish often, and often catch zero fish. So we are looking for a free ride, at least access wise and we’ll attempt to find the fish ourselves, sooner or later we will know were the fish are, and knowing is half the battle. By the way is there a bait shop nearby with reasonable prices and no dog litters (if you know what I mean).

hitthebricks    0
hitthebricks

Bald Eagle bait is a little more reasonable and I mever found prehooked minnows in the bait I was sold ( kind of ticks me off at $8/doz for shinners)

Ole #1    1
Ole #1

The access is free.

whitetips    0
whitetips

That is a regional Ramsey county park and a County park permit I think is required to in the park , but not on the ice , anyone know for sure?

whitetips    0
whitetips

Are those pups ther again?

Hugo    0
Hugo

No fee's for using the access.

Was out last night for an hour. Opened up the shack since I haven't been there in almost a week. Had one good fish on and lost it half way up to the hole. Other than that nothin happening for me.

Dave

Ole #1    1
Ole #1

Thanks for the info everyone. Is there any bite after 6:00pm on this lake? I'm going to head out after work tonight and go after some eye's and crappie.

I'll post my results later today or tomorrow.

wall-i-king    0
wall-i-king

Just got back. I ended up with one walleye about 15" and lost two others. I also got a couple of crappies mixed in. The walleyes were really lethargic tonight. I tried to get them on the spoon but they would just come up and look so I got the ones I did on a bobber and fathead about 6 inches off the bottom. From what I could tell I was the only one around me seeing any action. How was the rest of the lake this evening? Hope some of you did better than I did.

keep fishin'

wall-i-king

Pig_sticka    0
Pig_sticka

wall-i-king,

i have never had good luck using spoons on this lake near midwinter, stick to smaller everything. The best luck i have had on this lake is using crappie size jigs and crappie size minnows.

Actually i have done better with waxies some days for the walleyes. Most people dont bring waxies with them for walleye fishing i can bet that.

Late at night it gets a tad slower but i have had action all hours of the night out there for walleyes and crappies. crappies in some spots seem to thin out after a hour or 2 after dark but should still be around. walleyes i havn't found a true pattern for at night. some days they are out deep late at night and some times they are shallow. i am guessing because almost all these fish are stockers that they dont really have a set pattern. i dont have all the facts on how stockers survive in different lakes though.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Rick
      Hunter success was just slightly below average the five-year average on three popular waterfowl lakes for the 2017 waterfowl hunting opener in the Grand Rapids area. Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) wildlife staff conducted waterfowl bag checks on opening day September 23rd on Big White Oak Lake, Mud Lake (both near Deer River) and Big Rice Lake near Remer. Hunter success in terms of ducks bagged per hunter was 2. The average take the previous five years was 2.2 ducks per hunter. Blue-winged teal, wood ducks and mallard ducks were the most common birds in the bag with blue-winged teal the most commonly bagged bird at all three lakes. Based on vehicle counts at these lakes, hunter numbers were down about 25% from the five-year average. “Hunters had to contend with an early morning thunderstorm which may have kept hunter numbers lower than in previous years. Some hunters delayed going out or decided to try another day because of the rain and lightning from the storm,” said Mark Spoden, acting area wildlife manager. This year’s duck hunting season is 60 days in length. The duck bag limit is six ducks daily and may not include more than any combination of the following: four mallards (two may be hen mallard), three scaup, three wood ducks, one pintail, two redheads, two black ducks, and two canvasbacks. If not listed, up to six ducks of a species may be taken. The daily bag limit for coot and moorhen is 15. The daily bag limit for merganser is five, no more than two of which may be a hooded merganser. More information about waterfowl hunting in Minnesota including weekly waterfowl migration reports can be found at online at www.mndnr.gov/hunting/waterfowl. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Muskieman1977
      Thanks Rick, we will be launching out of Long Lake, so Becker may be our best bet.  I assume Schneider is a long haul from Long Lake?  Do you think we should just fish outside weed edges or do you think the fish will still be on the docks?  I'm a bit concerned with the lower temps this week. 
    • Rick G
      Cedar Island for smallies, Becker or Schneider for largies
    • Muskieman1977
      My partner and I will be fishing a 10 boat bass tournament this Sunday (Oct 1st) on the Horseshoe chain.  We have never fished this water, so we are at a loss right now.  Do any of you have any recommendations on what areas to fish, types of lures, etc..  No sure where the fish would be around this time of year, but any advice would be much appreciated!!!  Thanks so much
    • Rick
      Anyone with a 2017 Minnesota fishing or hunting license can receive a free camouflage and blaze orange Twins logo cap thanks to a special ticket offer online at mndnr.gov/twins, with the final game in this offer coming up Saturday, Sept. 30, vs. the Detroit Tigers.  As part of the Minnesota DNR Days partnership with the Twins, license holders can purchase a reserved game ticket and receive a special Twins cap. Ticket prices vary by game and seat locations are either in the Field Box or Home Run Porch sections. All ticket holders under this partnership will pick up their cap at the game. Instructions for purchasing tickets are at mndnr.gov/twins. Buy fishing and hunting licenses at any Minnesota Department of Natural Resources license agent, online with a mobile or desktop device at mndnr.gov/buyalicense, or by phone at 888-665-4236. Mobile buyers receive a text or email that serves as proof of a valid fish or game license to state conservation officers. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      New fall hours take effect Oct. 1 Hours for the bison range road at Minneopa State Park will change for the month of October due to decreasing daylight hours. Starting Oct. 1, the range road will be open Thursday through Tuesday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. The road will be closed on Wednesdays for regular maintenance.  Hiking trails around the bison range provide more bison viewing opportunities. Trails are open daily year round during regular park hours. A vehicle permit ($7 daily or $35 year-round) is required to enter the park. Bison range road hours will be adjusted again to follow daylight hours for the winter. Beginning Nov. 1, winter hours will be 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Minneopa State Park’s bison herd arrived in September 2015 and has been a popular attraction for the park since then. The bison are part of the Minnesota Bison Conservation Herd, managed through a formal agreement between the DNR and Minnesota Zoo. The partners are working together to preserve American plains bison. The plan is to grow the herd to 500 animals at several locations, including Blue Mounds State Park, Minneopa State Park and the Minnesota Zoo. Genetic testing of the herd from 2011 to 2014 found them largely free of any genetic material that would have come from cross-breeding with cattle. Less than 1 percent of all American plains bison tested so far have been found free of cattle genes. Bison viewing tips: Bison may be difficult to spot at times. Visitors should drive slowly and keep a watchful eye as they go through the range. Remain inside vehicle while driving through the bison range. Bison should be given clearance of at least 75 feet from people and vehicles at all times. Dogs can make bison nervous, so pets must be kept on a leash while in the park and hiking around the bison range. Bison get nervous around loud noises or lots of activity, so keeping voices down and movements to a minimum may help keep the bison within easy viewing. Hiking is not allowed inside the range, but there are hiking trails all the way around the outside of the range that can provide some fantastic views of the bison. For information on the Minneopa State Park bison herd, see:  mndnr.gov/minneopa-bison. Resources on bison can be found here:  mndnr.gov/bison. For more information on Minneopa State Park, call 507-389-5464 or visit: mndnr.gov/minneopa. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Youth, ages 10-15, can participate in a special deer season that runs from Thursday, Oct. 19, to Sunday, Oct. 22, in 28 permit areas of southeastern and northwestern Minnesota, including in the Twin Cities metro permit area 601, according to the Department of Natural Resources.  “Youth deer season is about putting the youth’s hunting experience first,” said Mike Kurre, DNR mentoring program coordinator. “Many students get a couple days off school for teacher workshops during the youth season so the long break is a great time to plan a hunt that can teach valuable skills and help grow a youth’s interest in the outdoors.” Deer permit areas open to the hunt are: 101, 105, 111, 114, 201, 203, 208, 209, 256, 257, 260, 263, 264, 267, 268, 338, 339, 341, 342, 343, 344 (including Whitewater Game Refuge), 345, 346, 347, 348, 349, 601 and 603. Blaze orange or blaze pink requirements apply to all hunters, trappers and adult mentors in areas open for the youth deer season. Public land is open, and private land is open if the hunters have landowner permission. Youth ages 10 through 15 must obtain a deer license. Youth ages 12 to 15 need to have completed firearms safety or, if not, can obtain an apprentice hunter validation. During the youth season, a parent, guardian or mentor age 18 or older must accompany the youth and only need a license if the youth is taking advantage of the apprentice validation option. Party hunting on a youth license is not allowed – so youth must take and tag their own deer. The bag limit for the youth season is one deer only. Youth may use their regular license or a bonus permit if they take an antlerless deer, regardless of the management designation. Bucks must be tagged with the youth’s regular license. Participation does not affect eligibility for the regular deer season; however, the harvested deer counts against the youth’s annual statewide bag limit and the bag limit for the deer permit area. If hunting in permit areas 346, 348, 349 and 603, the early antlerless only season is in effect from Oct. 19 to Oct. 22, so adults and youth can hunt at the same time in these areas; however, if a youth harvests a deer and wishes to continue hunting during the early antlerless only season they must purchase an early antlerless permit. Youth hunters in permit area 603 must have their deer tested for chronic wasting disease and cannot move the carcass out of the permit area until a negative test result is received. Properly cut-up deer and boned-out meat can be taken out of the area provided no brain matter or spinal column material is attached. Information on proper steps to follow after harvesting a deer in permit area 603 is available on the DNR website at mndnr.gov/cwd/603. CWD testing during the youth season is not required in the other permit areas where mandatory testing will occur on Nov. 4 and 5 during the first two days of the firearms deer season. More information about the youth season can be found on page 34 of the 2017 Minnesota Hunting and Trapping Regulations Handbook and online at mndnr.gov/regulations/hunting. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      With 59 state forests that cover 4.2 million acres, Minnesota state forests are a great place to view fall color, according to the Department of Natural Resources. “Forests with a mix of deciduous and coniferous trees offer a wonderful fall color experience,” said Jennifer Teegarden, DNR forestry outreach specialist. “The dark green needles of conifers accent the yellow, orange and red leaves of deciduous trees.” Here are a few routes to consider: Late September Bear Island State Forest loop. From Ely head south on state Highway 1 toward Isabella for about 20 miles. Take a right on New Tomahawk Road toward Babbitt for about 17 miles. Turn right on County Road 21 for 15 miles back to Ely. Kabetogama State Forest loop. From Orr head north on state Highway 53 for 4 miles. Turn right on County Road 180 to head east for 16 miles. Turn right on Forest Road 203 to head east for about 4.5 miles. Turn right on Vermillion Falls road to head east for 8 miles. Turn right on County Road 24/23 and follow to Orr for 26 miles. White Earth State Forest starting at Roy Lake head east on state Highway 200 for 1.5 miles. Turn right on Strawberry Mountain Road to head south for 5 miles. At Norris Trail turn left to head east for 3 miles. Turn left on Height of Land Road to head north back to Highway 200. For a longer loop follow Strawberry Mountain road to state Highway 113. Turn right on state Highway 113 to head east. Turn left on Height of Land Road to head north back to Highway 200. Early to mid-October St. Croix and Nemadji state forests loop. From I35, take Hinckley exit #183 and head east on State Highway 48 for 19 miles. Turn left to head north on County Road 24 and follow as it curves east and north for 7 miles. Turn right on County Road 25 to head east for 9.5 miles. At Markville, head north on County Road 31 for about 12 miles. Turn left on Park Forest Road/Park Truck Trail to head west for 13 miles. Turn right on County Road 171 to head north for 2 miles. Turn left onto County Road 154/Kerrick Road to head west for 5 miles. At Kerrick, head south on state Highway 23 for 18 miles to I35 exit #195. Richard J. Dorer Memorial Hardwood State Forest loop. From downtown Red Wing head south on Highway 61 for 10.5 miles. At Frontenac take a right onto Country 2 to head east for 9 miles. Take a right onto County Road 3 to head east for 4 miles. Take a right onto state Highway 58 to head north for 1.5 miles. Take a left onto Hay Creek Trail to head north for about 4.5 miles. Hey Creek Trail turns into Twin Bluff Road at Pioneer Trail. Continue on Twin Bluff Road for 1.5 miles and turn left on East Ave to return to downtown Red Wing. Visit www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_forests/fall-colors.html for additional scenic routes and state forest information. Entrance into a state forest is free. State forest campsites are available on a first-come, first-served basis for $14 a night. Visit the Minnesota state parks and trails Fall Color Finder at www.mndnr.gov/fall_colors to find areas in Minnesota with peak fall color. The Fall Color Finder is updated every Thursday through the end of October. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Event to take place at Marshall’s Southwest State University Gov. Mark Dayton invites the public to join him at a community banquet, Friday, Oct. 13, from 6-8:30 p.m. at Southwest Minnesota State University, to celebrate the Minnesota Governor’s Pheasant Hunting Opener in Marshall.  “I am proud of Minnesota’s great hunting traditions, and I have enjoyed pheasant hunting here for over sixty years,” said Dayton. “For the past seven years, we have held Governor’s Pheasant Hunting Openers, which have been very popular. I thank our wonderful hosts in the Marshall area for all of their hard work to make this year’s Opener such an outstanding event. I invite all Minnesotans to join us for this special Minnesota tradition.” Tickets to the banquet are $30 each and available until sold out, at the Marshall Area Chamber of Commerce, or by calling 507-532-4484. The banquet features a social hour, dinner and program which will include Dayton, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources Commissioner Tom Landwehr, Explore Minnesota Director John Edman and local presenters. The banquet is part of the weekend festivities, hosted by Marshall, that showcase the many hunting, recreational and travel opportunities the Marshall area has to offer visitors. This is the seventh annual Governor’s Pheasant Hunting Opener. Marshall previously hosted the second Governor’s Pheasant Hunting Opener in 2012, after Montevideo hosted the inaugural event in 2011. Marshall has a population of 13,680 and is located 150 miles southwest of the Twin Cities at the junctions of U.S. Highway 59 and state highways 19, 23 and 68. Marshall and southwest Minnesota actively promote hunting and outdoor recreation. Within 25 miles of Marshall, there are 37 Walk-In Access areas totaling just under 3,000 acres, 20 waterfowl production areas totaling approximately 3,779 acres and 132 WMAs totaling 24,407 acres. In Lyon County alone, there are 47 WMAs totaling 11,184 acres. All are open to public hunting. Explore Minnesota and the DNR are assisting the Marshall Area Chamber of Commerce in planning the event. More information and updates on the Governor’s Pheasant Hunting Opener can be found at exploreminnesota.com/mngpho. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Results from the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources’ 2016-1017 wolf population survey suggest Minnesota’s wolf population has increased 25 percent since the 2015-2016 survey.  After remaining stable during the past four years, the survey estimates that within Minnesota’s wolf range there were approximately 500 wolf packs and 2,856 wolves. The survey’s margin of error is about plus or minus 500 wolves. The 2015-2016 survey estimated the number of packs at 439 and the wolf population at 2,278.   Minnesota’s wolf population remains well above the state’s minimum goal of at least 1,600 wolves and also above the federal recovery goal of 1,251 to 1,400. The DNR has consistently managed wolf populations at levels that exceed both state and federal minimums. Survey results suggest packs were slightly larger (4.8 vs. 4.4) and used smaller territories (54 square miles vs. 62 square miles) than the previous winter. Although neither individually represented a significant change from recent years, collectively they explain the increase in the population estimate and are consistent with a continuing increase in deer numbers observed in many parts of wolf range. From spring 2015 to spring 2016, deer density within the wolf range is estimated to have increased 22 percent. “From approximately 2005 to 2014, a decline in prey appears to have translated into larger wolf pack territories, fewer or smaller packs and a reduced wolf population, said John Erb, the DNR’s wolf research scientist. “Now, the reverse appears to be happening.” Although other factors such as pack competition, disease and human-caused mortality can influence wolf population dynamics, prey density typically determines the carrying capacity for wolves. “Changes in estimated wolf abundance generally have tracked those of deer over the past 5 years,” Erb said. The wolf population survey is conducted in mid-winter near the low point of the annual population cycle. A winter survey makes counting pack size from a plane more accurate because the forest canopy is reduced and snow makes it easier to spot darker shapes on the ground. Pack counts during winter are assumed to represent minimum estimates given the challenges with detecting all members of a pack together at the same time. A winter count also excludes the population spike that occurs each spring when the number of wolves typically doubles immediately following the birth of pups, many of which do not survive to the following winter. The DNR’s goal for wolf management, as outlined in the state’s wolf management plan, is to ensure the long-term survival of wolves in Minnesota while addressing wolf-human conflicts. Minnesota currently has no direct management responsibility for wolves now because a federal district court ruling in December 2014 returned Minnesota’s wolves to the federal list of threatened species. The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service manages all animals on that list. Visit the DNR website at mndnr.gov/wolves to find the full population survey report, reported wolf mortalities and an overview of wolves in Minnesota. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.