• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

tips for Bald Eagle?

im going out on sunday and am wondering if anyone could give me a few tips, it's my first time doing some serioius ice fishing in a portable, also my first time on the lake, we're (Contact US Regarding This Word) fishing so i'll gladly take anything i can get, my emails [email protected] i got a new GPS so any coords would be helpful, and i have a aqua view, (i know, im spoiled hehe) so any structure to look for would be greatfully appretiated, finally, is it safe to drive on?

bump... i know its still on the first page but im going sunday so i have only 1 day left frown.gif

I'm heading out there tomorrow. I'll try and post something tomorrow night after I get back. If you don't hear from me, the fishing was good and I went straight to bed. cool.gif

Walleye fishing baldy really isn't all that hard. Look on the map you will find many breaks, humps and bars. Find yourself a break and set up on the drop off. One spot I did quite well on last year was on the north east side of the main island. I was about fifty yards north on the break. There is a bar there. Once it drops it drops quite quickly set up there. Last year I had it to myself for several weeks. I caught walleyes pretty much every time with several fish nights. Another spot to look at is on the east shore north of the grass Island south of the rocky point if you look on a map you will see several curves to the break. set up in one of the corners on the break in 15 to 20 feet of walleye and I will pretty much guarantee some action. The key to always remember on this as every lake. Try to fish by yourself. Crowds in my experience are your worst enemy. Too much noise etc... for my liking. Hope this helps.

what do u mean by "a break"? i probably know it, but call it something else

Well, had fun on Saturday at Bald Eagle until the sleet storm came rolling in and blew us off the lake. We were setup in about 18-25 feet with our tipups and jiggin. Once the wind and sleet hit, we packed her up and headed out (about 2pm).

I tell you what though, that parking lot at the public access was packed. Not one parking space left open. We arrived in the morning and walked out because the Sheriff still had the access closed down for vehicles.

Hope your fishing was better. Sorry for not posting results sooner.

I was out in the ice storm, it was horrible. I caught a 6 inch walleye on this lake the last 4 trips out. I fished south of the island in 20 ft and by the redds in 17-25 ft.

I'm going to try the north end tonight for walleye and crappie.

Any tips or help would be great.

Does Anyone knw if the baracade is still there as of this morning? It was there last night.

Ole,

I just talked to the Sheriff and it is closed today but they were going to re-evaluate the ice tomorrow. He said they are thinking about opening the access and then placing a snow fence around the pressure ridge where the 2 trucks went in (just the front tires). He said it was close to 8 feet wide in some places over 20ft of water.

Dave

I went last night and the baracade was still up. Where is the spot that the trucks went through? I haven't seen that spot and it would be nice to know where it is. I fished the northern side of the lake yesterday from 4:00-6:00 in 22ft. I marked a ton of fish on the vex, I mean a ton. All I could catch were perch. Then I melted my line on my lantern and chipped a tooth biting the eye of a jig (I was just trying to cut the line). I got frustrated and left.

Ole,

Rough nite out there!!! My dentist always gives me grief about using my teeth to cut line and such.

The sheriff told me the pressure ridge was on the south side of the island. I haven't been out since I pulled my shack out a week ago but I am planning on going tonite if the access is open.

Dave

Let me know if you go out tonight and if the access is open. There were a lot of vehicles on the ice last night, I wonder if they were just driving around the baracade?

Good luck Hugo.

That is good to hear. I am planning on going fishing tomorrow and I didn't want to have to walk out. So the question now is where exactly are the fish or are there any hints that could get me pointed in the right direction. Also are who might be out there tomorrow night? I am always looking for people to hit the water with. If any of you guys are interested in meeting up post on here or shoot me an e-mail at navr0012 at d dot umn dot edu. Good luck to all are going to give it a shot.

keep fishin'

wall-i-king

We will be heading out there tomorrow (01/05). Is there any access beyond the county park that there is no fee because we are looking to save a buck or two because we are unemployed, fish often, and often catch zero fish. So we are looking for a free ride, at least access wise and we’ll attempt to find the fish ourselves, sooner or later we will know were the fish are, and knowing is half the battle. By the way is there a bait shop nearby with reasonable prices and no dog litters (if you know what I mean).

Bald Eagle bait is a little more reasonable and I mever found prehooked minnows in the bait I was sold ( kind of ticks me off at $8/doz for shinners)

That is a regional Ramsey county park and a County park permit I think is required to in the park , but not on the ice , anyone know for sure?

No fee's for using the access.

Was out last night for an hour. Opened up the shack since I haven't been there in almost a week. Had one good fish on and lost it half way up to the hole. Other than that nothin happening for me.

Dave

Thanks for the info everyone. Is there any bite after 6:00pm on this lake? I'm going to head out after work tonight and go after some eye's and crappie.

I'll post my results later today or tomorrow.

Just got back. I ended up with one walleye about 15" and lost two others. I also got a couple of crappies mixed in. The walleyes were really lethargic tonight. I tried to get them on the spoon but they would just come up and look so I got the ones I did on a bobber and fathead about 6 inches off the bottom. From what I could tell I was the only one around me seeing any action. How was the rest of the lake this evening? Hope some of you did better than I did.

keep fishin'

wall-i-king

wall-i-king,

i have never had good luck using spoons on this lake near midwinter, stick to smaller everything. The best luck i have had on this lake is using crappie size jigs and crappie size minnows.

Actually i have done better with waxies some days for the walleyes. Most people dont bring waxies with them for walleye fishing i can bet that.

Late at night it gets a tad slower but i have had action all hours of the night out there for walleyes and crappies. crappies in some spots seem to thin out after a hour or 2 after dark but should still be around. walleyes i havn't found a true pattern for at night. some days they are out deep late at night and some times they are shallow. i am guessing because almost all these fish are stockers that they dont really have a set pattern. i dont have all the facts on how stockers survive in different lakes though.

trying to find the fish north of island in front of the house were are they hanging out,going out on friday and saturday if any one knows drop me a note thanks

I was only out 2 times so far and i havent left without catchin a wally yet I got 2 on crappie minnows and a crappie jig in 18 ft and the others on shinners!!! I'd like to get out there again...good luck out there

was out there from 11 to 7 alot of small crappies no keepers was in 26ft of water hanging in 3 to 7 feet from the bottom going to be out about 12;30 sat try again setting up perm north of island smile.gif

trying to get the crappies to bite what is a good lb line to usedo you use weights with jigs let me know not using a locator to find them tryin to find eyes to need help

Just wondering how much ice is out there and if people are driving out. I'm thinking of taking the little guy out for his first ice fishing trip, but want to have the truck close (with the dvd player ready to roll if he gets bored to fast) also wondering if there are any heaves or open areas to be concerned about.