• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ear infections / Mites

Cootz

Maverick is a 95# 6 year old male yellow. My first. I was wondering how a person can tell the difference between ear mites and an ear infection. And what is an ear infection? Are there more types of ear infections besides yeast? He's had a continuing problem with his left ear mostly. I've had numberous prescriptions for I think it's called Otomax. Goes away and then comes back. Thought it was water related because I usually work him in water and not much on land. (My thinking is it might help save his joints.) After reading the "straw / cedar chip" forum I'm wondering if his straw in his house is actually holding mites? How would I find out? He's never had fleas or anything like that. I hadn't been changing the straw in his house ever, just kept adding to it. Last weekend I cleaned it out. Now I know where all the bones I'd been giving him have went. Must have pulled over three dozen out of his house he was stashing.

I would say to just get rid of the cedar chips and staw and put fresh stuff in there. We had a chocolate lab that always had ear problems. She was an inside dog - but we had a dog bed for her and we would even wash that after mites or any kind of an infection. We could tell by looking at the ears how red they were and they also had a pungent smell to them. I can't explain the smell but you would just know that something was wrong. Good luck to you! But after you get the dog on some antibiotics I would change that bedding from the dog house. It just might be part of the problem.

I forgot to mention how to recognize ear mites. You can take a Q-tip and get some wax on it from the dog's ear and look at it under a magnifying glass against a black background. The mites are white specks - very small, the size of a pin head and they will move.

Ear infections can depend on a few things. If the infections keep happening it is more than likely that the infection has gone deeper than just the outer ear. Some bacteria starts to cause it - and then if the bacteria is not treated properly it can get worse and move further into the ear. I would consult with the vet to make sure it's not an infection in the middle ear (otitis media). The vet can flush it and put some medicine in there right at the office and then send you home with drops to put in there a couple times a day (hopefully your dog is cooperative for you with this).

Hope this helps. I'm not an expert - but we did have some ear problems with our chocolate at one time and learned quite a bit from that.

I use a cleaner once a week on my springer. It's a Hexadene flush w/spherulities. She has had cronic ear problems and this seems to realy help.

Odds are it is an ear infection that you have not gotten to the bottom of yet.. I had a long term one in a couple of dogs over the years. The hardest thing is to get it totally gone. Make double sure you clean the ear EVERY day before you medicate. It will take a week or two of this to get the things killed out. If you get the smell you will know it is an infection and not just the mites. Mites can happen but odds are it is the infection. I had to go back to the vets a couple of times and then demand a rigorous treatment to get this problem gone before we cured it out. Flush it will with Oto-calm and then medicate it with the Otomax and you will be alright for the infection.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.