• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Better lake -- Rice or Little Rock?

Iron Cowboy

Hey guys i want to get out and try a new lake this weekend for some crappies and eyes. Both Rice and Little rock look like the kind of lake I like to fish---low vis water good for day fishing too not just the night bite. Anyone fish both of these that can compare them for me? They are both about the same distance from home so that isnt a factor. crowds, fish populations, access and parking etc. any places to start would also be helpfull. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Pete

Well I can't tell you anything about Little Rock but our cabin is on Rice and until about 4 yrs ago I fished Rice all winter for crappies. My reasons for not going out were as follows: the crowds can be ridiuclous and after having my permanent house blocked in twice so that I could barely get in the door I figured that it was not worth my time. Also it seemed like the # of crappies had decreased. We used to be able to go out and C&R 50-60 crappies in an evening but we never kept more than 20 for an entire weekend.

I have been on both this year already. I caught one perch and one very small walleye on Rice. On Little Rock I caught about a dozen small perch and had a nice fish on but it got off. The water on Little Rock was very clear when I was there. I could see my crappie minnow at least 10' down.

Both lakes will have a lot of traffic on the best spots.

Nels

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Take your pick. Both can be excellent and both can be slow. As far as water clarity. Both tend to be quite clear this time of year. A different story the second half of the summer as they get quite thick at times.

I usually try for Northerns and I can't seem to find them on Little Rock. I've tried several spots where I thought they would be, but to no avail. Can anyone help? I was thinking since the perch population is so big on that lake, that Northerns are always well fed and won't bite. I tried to find a weedline but I can't. I ended up moving my house again last time I was out and only caught 3 small perch in about 15 FOW right on the edge of the drop by most of the houses. Should I be fishing shallower? I usually fish early morning until about noon or so. Any help is appreciated. Thanks! smile.gif

I have fished little Rock five times this year and today was the worst. I have fished the same area every time. The area is 10-11' and there is some manmade structure that we found using a camera a few years back. All it is is some rocks and some pipes, but it works. The first three time out I caught 150+ perch, 10 walleyes, and 2 northerns. 40 of those perch were 9"-11". The walleyes averaged just under 15", but a kept 5 that were bigger than that. I have never fished any other structure or area on the lake, but I would have to imagine that there is some natural structure similar to this. Northerns always seem to come later in the season and they love shiners. Like I said earlier, today was the worst day I have had. I contribute that to it being later in the season and all the traffic that moved in around us. Last year the crappies came and went from out spot and this year they just have not come. The lake is also very clear this year. Does someone want to scout/fish the lake hard on Thurs or Fri. with me?

Tony thanks for the offer, but I can't make it up there now. I was up there on Sunday and you can eliminate the west side near shore. Not a single bite all day.

I was out on Little Rock Monday morning and i fished from 8-12 on the east side of lake in 16 FOW. I had good luck with the perch caught 15 nice ones threw back at leat 20 others. They were thick on the camera but the school would come through about every half-hour catch a few then they would be gone. As for walleyes,northerns, and crappies i didn't even see any on the camera. Going to give it another try tomarrow moring good luck everyone!

That's about the same luck that I've been having. I think I'm going to move my house to about 8-9' and try that for northerns. If that doesn't work, I don't know what to do....maybe I'll put my house on Beaver or Pleasant. At least I know that Northerns bite on those two. Does anyone know when the Rod & Gun club tourney is on Kraemer this year? Thanks for your help.

It's normaly on the first weekend in Febuary. But speaking of Kramer has anyone had any luck out ther a few of my friends have been out there and they haven't caught a thing.

My brother and I are heading to Little Rock in the morning. Anyone been having better luck this week? I'm still gonna try for Northerns, but a couple walleyes or big Perch would be great also. We'll be getting there about 7 am and fishing til about noon, depending on the bite. Any help is greatly appreciated and we'll let you all know how we did. Thanks!!

i tried little rock twice this week from about 3:30 to 6 both nights. set up in 7' of water nothing more than a few perch 7-8" smaller that the ones i caught earlier this winter. i could see tons of perch by looking down the hole, some REAL NICE ones to. they would take the head of the minnow in and then just sit there and not do anything. if i hadn't looked down the hole i would have never knew they were bitting my minnow. i talked to one other guy one night he gave me the same report, a slow bite. i'll give it a run in the next few days and give u the report.

I was out ALL DAY.... I didn't even see a fish, let alone catch one. I tried several spots and ended up in the line of houses on the east side along the drop. I think I'll take the portable out and try Mayhew or Beaver lake next Friday. Little Rock just isn't working out for me frown.gif Better luck to all of you....

I will be out on Little Rock all day Sunday. I'll post my success or lack there of when I get back.

We fished Little Rock from noon - 6 pm. Started in the middle of the 15 foot basin right in the middle of the lake. Nothing. Moved to the Eas breakline: 1 perch. I did mark lots of fish, but they just stared at he bait. Tried everything . . jigging, bobber, tip ups, shiners, waxies, crappie minnows, silver, glow red, glow green, plain hook, right on the bottom to 5 feet up - nothing seemed to work. Lots of anglers out there!

I was out on little rock again yesterday fished all day caught a lot of perch durring the day then after dark i caught 5 crappies and 2 walleyes no monsters but they were decent for the rock. My advise to others get away from the houses i have been fishing all over the lake and my best sucess has been when i get away from the crowd.