• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Walleye/Perch ratio

Ronsay

Kelly, how often does the DNR publish the URLAA newsletter, and when is the next issue come out?

Do they post this on there main site?

Thanks,

Ron

Hanson and others,

Crappies are a voracious species, meaning they eat anything and often times everything in their sight. large schools of crappies will comsume large amounts of minnows in one night. the problem that occurs when they feed on larvae and such is that they are not getting enough protein and you get thin or stunted crappies. I do agree with the rest of you that they day bit is forage related. lookin forward to the next time on red to tear some lips.

This is very interesting. Last year I caught many perch. I have yet to get one this year. Last year I rarely got a Crappie during the day, this year EVERYONE is hitting them in the daylite? Something is going on.

Now Im off to find those 25' holes! grin.gif

The URLAA (Upper Red Lake Area Association) sends out a quarterly newsletter to the members. The DNR has an article/report about URL fisheries in each issue. The DNR Fisheries does very good at keeping the URLAA informed and up to date on what is happening with the lake.

If anyone is interested in joining the URLAA the dues are $25 a year.

Upper Red Lake Area Association, Inc.

Box 407, Waskish, MN 56685

I fished from 12-4 today and caught four perch between 7.5-10". They absolutely annihilated the jig, unlike the crappies which bit between 1-2 great, but got very finicky after that.

Upper Red lake has been off limits for about 40 years to non band members, and thats just a rough guess, (Kelly could give a more accurate time line). Years ago natives would take non-natives fishing for fun. Many years ago there use to be cabins on the north shore of upper(By the Narrows) & lower red lake owned by non-band members. Waskish just lost one of its last commercial fisherman(Jim Halama) of the area this summer, he was 93 years old. Whites commercialy netted red lake during WWI and into the early 1930's. Kellys grandfather (Fred) used to own and operate a 50' commercial boat on the upper & lower red lakes called the "Chief". There is a great book written by A.J. Petrowski called "On The Trail" and it gives the history of Upper Red Lake, Its a Great Book

I purchased mine from Kellys dad, Maybe he can help us out on this.

We fished yesterday and today and only caught 1 perch. the crappie bite was primarily midday and early evening.

I fished west of rocky point Thursday & Friday and C&R about 30 small perch.