• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Yote hunting with hounds

Cooter

Just wondering how many of you guys hunt yotes with hounds? I won't get out til after New Years, but I'll guarantee the old boys have already had the hounds out this year!

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Cooter: I hunt with a group of guys with hounds for yotes. All I can say is the bawl of a hound on a fresh yote makes me tremble. We run running walkers and blueticks around 6 -7 of them. All I wish for is some fresh snow hopefully soon!!!

My Cousin was talking about some of his friends using greyhounds but he tends to blow smoke sometimes. I guess I can see how the speed would be an advantage but I didn't know if greyhounds had much hunting instinct. Do you guys think it's legit or do you think I've been taking some heavy smoke blowing?

I have heard they used to use greyhounds out West, they'd just let the dogs run down and kill the yotes. You got to remember though that these dogs were running them on site from start to finish. My experience around here is a slower dog with a good nose that can stick to a yote is far better than a fast one that can't cold trail or stick with one. If you had a good greyhound, I could see where you'd get lots of bayed up yotes. On the other hand, I know guys that use beagles and kill plenty of yotes. Blue ticks make great yote hounds as they are typically cold nosed yet plenty fast on a hot track, running walkers also get the job done, a combo of the two is great.

Cooter,

He's right. When I lived in Nebraska there were quite of few folks that ran Grey Hounds after coyotes and had great success.

Some guys ran up to four or five dogs with one or two being kill dogs.

A guy we hunt with had 4 Russion Greyhounds. It was neat to see them close the gap on a coyote, but it also took the fun out for the guys with guns. (Kinda hard to shoot at a coyote with a $500 dog 2 feet behind it!) And to be honest, it wasn't fair to the guys that were doing all of the work, just to watch a pac of dogs kill it.

The greyhounds hunt strictly with their eyes. If they don't see the coyote, they all just jump out of the truck and stand there.

• 3 weeks later...

We hunt all the time for yotes in the north country. Use all hounds. In our neck of the woods a greyhound wouldn't be able to ever see a coyote to catch one. This year has been bad with the terrible snow we have had. Seems like if it does snow then it rains and turns it all to crap. Hopefully we get some good powder here soon. I sure have noticed more wolf tracks in the last few years. Makes me nervous.

Yeah right nolte....you dont know anything about hound hunting.....just kiddin. How's it goin? Is there any good running snow up there around the cabin yet cause there isnt anything down here. Well just looking for a weekend to come home for hunting. How you guys been doin on yotes this year? Well I'll talk to you later.

Hey, I never said I knew anything about it. I just go a lot. Snow is still pretty bad. We've only had two days where we had a visual of one we were running, and I never saw it of course. What we need is real snow, not this ice pellet crap. Real wet flakes. This weekend might be ok but I'd wait for a better one for your long drive. Take it easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Was out last weekend and either the dogs weren't worth a durn or the conditions just weren't right. The highlight was we got one out of a culvert alive, pretty interesting ordeal. Let her go and put some young hounds on her, she's still running. Should have some cool pics.