• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I hate to write this type of post, but this is a warning to all people who have "hunting shacks" or other getaways in the Ashby/Battle Lake area. Our hunting shack near Ashby got broken into between Dec 10 and Dec 23. There were no car tracks, so the crooks were in there before any snow fall. They hacksawed the chain on our gate, opened the gate, and we assume drove right up to the shack. They jimmied open (and wrecked) the garage door on the shack.

These crooks knew where to go. Our shack is on a dead end road, and not easily accessible. The shack cannot be seen until you get into the woods for a ways. They knew the shack was there.

They stole a chainsaw (old Olympyk 264, chainsaw chains, 2 cans of gas, 1 can of diesel fuel (I hope they put the diesel in their car), my dad's hunting clothes (why?), two new pairs of boots, a shovel, and our duck decoys.

What they didn't get include 2 ATVs, a car, and lots of memorabilia from over the years, and they didn't take any booze that was there. So it could have been worse.

The sheriff was contacted, and we all doubt whether we'll see any of the stuff that was stolen, but if you see anybody trying to hawk an Old Olympyk 264 chainsaw, boots, ratty hunting clothes, or duck decoys with either a pink spray paint dot on the bottom or a name other than the person selling the decoys, (my real name...don't want it posted here) they are stolen.

The main reason for this post is get out to your shacks and inspect them, and remove anything of value. Also, if you have any information, contact the cops. We don't want this to happen to anybody else and crime is getting worse in this area. This used to be a place where everyone could be trusted. Not no more, I guess.

That's terrible news MercMan. I will keep an eye out for sure. But, your dad's hunting clothes and boots? Some people... confused.gif

This is the time of year we hear more of break-ins in the area, especially fishhouses. Get to know your neighbors and keep a watchful eye out for each other.

That sucks Merc.

The people that did this are stupid to start with, so lets hope that stupid trend leads them to getting caught.

At least they didn't resort to trashing the place after they took what they wanted.

Yup, that sucks for sure. The times they are a changin..

I know up north and east of Detroit lakes they break into the hunting shacks, steal what they want, cook up a bunch of meth then burn the hunting shacks down to hide any evidence leaving the owners with the bill of cleaning up that mess. I think that happened twice last year that I remember.. Probably best to keep an eye on the local for sale type paper and bulletin boards...Best of luck!! Paul

Yeah, one thing I told my Dad is maybe they were casing the joint for a meth lab. We have a stove, fridge, and everything...but then we found out stuff was missing.

They were pretty stupid crooks. I don't know why the left some of the stuff they did. Like Dad says, and I agree with him (and I'm sure you guys feel this way too). If I ever find out who did it, there will be some serious hell to pay. I really feel bad for the guy who got his brand new boat stolen this past fall from this area.

Like I said, it had to be somebody local. An out-of-towner would never know that this place was there. Thanks for keeping an eye out, you guys. Lock your places and things up GOOD!

• 2 weeks later...

MercMan - Sorry to hear of the shack break-in. I was the guy with the boat, motor(new in '04) and trailor that was stolen in Sept. The searing anger subsides, until you think about it again. I am just glad they did not take more stuff, or break up stuff more than they did, at your shack. Now that we have completed the insurance paperwork, and the overall system takes on another black eye, which we all pay for through increased premiums/prices ect., I am humbled by the feeling of being helpless. I can tell you that the authorities consider stolen stuff pretty much "gone forever" from the start. I can't blame them, as they are short staffed and have too big an area to cover, often times. It is concerning as heck that there seems to be more of this crap going on than in the past. I am aware of 5 separate thefts around the area, just this past fall. I just hope they are becoming more concerned about this, and are addressing this potential increase. Anyways, I have a new boat on order, but no celebration as you never come out on these things without feeling the hit twice - when it happens and when you pay for the replacement. We have taken some additional precautions, but it just stinks that people can't respect other people's property. Further more, when you take precautions,it is still no guarantee - if they want it, they will get it. Your story not only hits close to home because of recent events, but we are planning on putting up a simple shack on some hunting land in another area of the state. I hate to even think of the possibilities this opens up. I guess we just have to have faith that the purpose outweighs the risk. Hang in there...........

after reading this info, it almost seems that whoever broke in, was looking for particulars. They could have easily ran off with a car or the ATV's, but they didn't.

I'm going out on a limb here, but maybe it was someone that was in financial desparation and needed the things taken to help heat their home/stay warm i.e. chainsaws, diesel, clothes, and boots. It doesn't excuse what they did. But is it possible they intended to create as little inconvenience as possible? I would maybe look into soem locals that would fit this description. Maybe someone who recently lost a job, short on funds, very possibly an older home/trailer home that uses either wood or fuel oil for heat, possibly both.

I don't mean to sound stereotypical here, but these are the first things that come to mind.

Just an idea for remote cabins: install a cheap motion detection game camera in an inacceable or unnoticable location and it will take a picture of any vehicles or people approaching that shouldn't be. Get the plates and a picture of the people and hunt them down and deal with them yourselves if the police won't do anything!

That is a horrible deal. One thing about the Minnesota/North Dakota area is the great neighbors. We all need to look out for each others shacks. Most of us are good honest people. Sometimes crooks take advantage of us. Just the way it is. I hope these people are caught. I always get so darn nervous leaving my shack on the lake because of this. Shouldn't even have to lock it but we always have these dinks that steal. I take out everything of value when I leave. Sad part is they usually trash your stuff for no reason. Really pisses me off because most of us build our own shacks. That makes it almost personal when someone wrecks something I have put many hours of hard work into. I personally would have no problem putting a tire iron across anybody trying to rob a neighbors house. Your shack is safe if its next to mine. Just let the house next to know. I am not going to be here for a while can you watch my house or let them know the types of vehicles that will be by your house. I also let alot of people borrow/fish in my house. That way I know that it is OK when I am not around. Good luck.