• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing Report 12-25-2004 (Adrian's)

I was fortunate enough to spend Christmas Day ice fishing on Lake of the Woods! How great is that?

Started the morning crossing Pine Island on Adrian's Rd and set up the portable amongst the hundreds of hardside houses on the lake. We fished for an hour & a half or so in 24'-25' of water and caught absolutely nothing! I marked 2 fish on the Marcum and that was it.

We proceeded to move out to deeper water. We found approximately 30' of water and caught a little sauger within minutes of being set up. We fished this spot for the remainder of the day and caught another 25-30 fish. Most were little tikes but one sauger was pushing 18" and another one wasn't far behind that one. 2 very nice fish in my opinion. My dad also happened to hook into a nice jumbo perch, 12 plus inches.

It seamed that the fish came in schools. You would catch 5-6 at a time and then it would get slow for a half hour and then it would pick up again.

The fish definitely preferred jigging spoons to any other type of lure. We had 2 rods actively jigging throughout the day and they accounted for 90% of the fish. Scenic Tackle's 1/16oz Go-Devil in Perch color, Hammered Gold Angel Eye Jr., JR's Slammer in Perch color, and a gold Swedish Pimple in size 3 were the ticket. I gave my Orange/Gold Chubby Darter a workout yesterday and it accounted for 2 fish.

The fish were more than willing to chase the spoon 3-6 off of the bottom before hitting it. Whenever I saw a fish near my lure on the LX-3 and it would just sit there, I'd jig it a little bit and start raising it up. The fish would start to follow and I'd keep raising it. Once you were about 4' off of the bottom that was it. Smack!

Check out the thread on Adrian's Rd for ice conditions. They were pretty good.

Hanson: Thanks for your update. We're leaving at 5am tomorrow for three days. Looking forward to some relaxation and of course a few fish as well. Good luck, and hang on. Bill

How much ice is over Pine in 30' of water? Did you drive a truck out or sled? Im thinking about maybe Thurs up there.

Northlander-

We had 12-14" of ice where we were set up. It is a lot thicker in shallower water, I would say 20-24" or so.

If you head straight out of Adrian's Rd, you'll probably go a mile or so and the line of permanent houses stops. This was where we hit around 30' of water. The resorts were using full size trucks with plows to move the houses around and bank them in at this depth. We were out there in my dad's Ford Ranger but there were full size vehicles as well.

bturk- Good Luck, I think you guys will run into some good fishing.

Hanson, I was up earlier in the week and did exactually as you did (25 ft then to 30 ft) and had the same results, except we had a few larger (only a couple dinks) fish. Amazing how they were more willing to take it if they had to chase it up.

Matt

Just got back from a great Sunday on the Lake. I had heard

it was better in the deep so we went straight out to the

last row of houses, took a right and went nearly to the

end of the houses. I took a reading with the Marcum LXi

(the hand held flashlight style depth finder) and was

in about 27 feet, we went out a couple hundred yards

farther and the LXi read 29 feet. I didnt want to take

the Surburban out any further so we set up. There was

16 inches of ice.

Set up one line with an Ice Buster bobber and a small

yellow jig. The other line had the glow red Go Devil.

Started catching fish right away (8:45 ish) and, like

the other posters, caught most of the fish on the jigging

spoon targeting individual fish and getting them to

chase the spoon. We had only a few fish all day that

would appear on the flasher and not at least bite.

From the start we decided to be fussy because we heard

the bite was pretty good. We were careful and brought

up all the fish as slow as possible so we could release

the little guys. At 11:45 we had 7 nice Saugers each

and they were all good ones so we got fussier and fished

until 2 for the last couple of fish. We packed up and

got home just before it got dark.

5 Pout and Jumbo Perch rounded out what we caught for the

day. I was fishing with Big Jay from Warren and he had

a couple Walleyes in his bucket along with the Saugers, I caught only one Walleye all day and it was a little fella. Didn't get any big fish but, I was very happy with the size of the Saugers as I cleaned em a few minutes ago.

Adrians Road is in great shape, there is very little snow

so getting around was no trouble at all.

Fun day out there. BTurck, I think you are going to hit

it just right again. Have fun everyone

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  
    • jim curlee
      I had a guy hit me with a lightly used 1969 BAR, he wanted $1650 with an older Leupold scope. More than I think they are worth, I made an offer, he declined end of story.   You know if you look at the old brochures, a grade II BAR sold for $250 in the late 60s, $1650 would be a good return on your investment.    Why would anybody want a 50 year old gun, they are heavy, have wood stocks, and blued metal.  I guess mainly to keep their gun safes glued to the floor. lol   You can probably buy a stainless rifle that you never have to clean, with a synthetic stock you never have to refinish, is as light as a feather, and for half as much money, perfect.   I'm too old for a youth gun, although I've shrunk enough that it would probably fit. lol   No Ruger 10/44s.   Jim      

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.