Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IceFever

GPS Batteries?

10 posts in this topic

I just got a handheld gps this year and I really love it but man it goes through the batteries.What do you guys use for batteries in your gps?Are rechargables any good?Or do you just keep buying new batteries?

If rechargables are ok,is there a preferred brand that work best?

ive been using the rechargables by Rayovac, NIMH.

My experiance is that they may save you some money??? but, the full charge in them just doesnt compare to a new duracell/energizer as far as the life of the charge. mine may be getting old..?

I have a bunch, so I always bring extras.

I just ordered a GPS,, I will be using the same batteries that I have used in all my electronics that take AA's Energizer Lithium batteries,, they last longer,, and stay at full strength the whole time unlike alkaline's

I've got a rino 110 and get about 1 day out of a set of alkalines. One of the others in my hunting party tried the Lithium and they lasted 2 days no prob and still full charge. More cost but cheaper per use.

I buy whatever alkaline that happens to be on sale. I'm sure some are a bit better than others, but they are all close to the same capacity. The rechargeables are too inconvenient and the lithium are way too spendy for the extra life you get out of each set. Your batteries will last for days if you conserve them by shutting off the unit when It is not needed, and keep the unit warm. Try using it inside a ziploc with a hand warmer nest to to the battery pack or duct tape one to the back. It really helps. Not too often do you need to have it on all day, but definately record that track heading out ice fishing. It may save your life.

I've been extremely pleased with the performance of my 2200 mAh NiMH Powerx rechargeables & MH-C204F charger. I ordered them from Thomas Distributing after reading some reviews on the GPS sites.

I have 2 four packs of batteries as they do double duty with our digitial camera as well. It's really a pretty slick set-up.

Thanks for the info and tips everyone.I'm gonna need alot of batteries as this thing is very addicting grin.gif

I recently started using the rechargable energizer NiMH batteries in my gps. I find that they last significantly longer than other batteries and that they are very convenient when paired with a car charger. I believe that I paid between $25 and $30 for 4 batteries and a home/car charger.

I normally use Costco batteries in my GPS Map76s. Under 10 dollars for 48 double A. They last about a day and a half of pretty much continuous use. The cold weather really eats them up quicker though. I normally use a 12 volt adapter on the ATV. Depending on the GPS you have it should have a 12 volt adapter plug in. If you are on an ATV or snowmobile you could add an accessory outlet to it.

Right on bigtruck! I use the same batteries in my GPS, digital camera, and headlamp. They might cost double, but you won't have to buy new ones for quite a while. They hold a good charge and you don't have to worry about wasting money because you're using a lot of battery power. You can just plug 'em into the wall!