• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Forum

WalleyeWeasel

Why is it that this forum isn't very informative from u locals.? Someone asks a ? And you tell them to look at a previous post or you change the subject and treat the forum as if u's were sittin in the bar. Don't you's have phones up there ?? Make a phone call instaed of seeing who can have the most posts on the forum.....

Weasel,

Take it easy. Part of the etiquette of message boards is to search the archives before you post a question so as not to look like a fool by asking the same questions that have been posted in the past. If there is a long thread archived with good info about what you are wondering about then it's far better to read that first. Then you might be able to refine your questions so they will be better questions and will be more interesting to the "experts" so they will be inclined the answer and you'll get the info you are really looking for. Also if your post is being taken in a direction your not interested in then bring it back on point by posting a reply. These folks are actually being helpful by pointing to past posts.

gspman

# 1, 95% of "u locals" that used to post here have quit posting here because somebody that lives 100, 200, or 300 miles away will post that "u locals" don't know what we are talking about. People are asked to look at a previous post for one big reason. How many times can the same question be answered? In the same day? Rather then look to see what has already been posted people ask the same question again, and again, and again. For example, "Do I need an extension?". Also some people expect an exact answer. It's fishing, on a very big lake. There are not exact answers. As far the most posts I don't think anyone goes for the most posts. Most of the posts I have made the past 4 years I would rather have not made but took the time to post them so people like you had a little more info on URL. In fact I sat down here this morning to post about the big cracks caused by the extreeme cold causing the ice sheet to contract and what I think will happen when the temps swing back up to the high 20's and low 30's as forecasted next week. But,,,I think I'll just call a few friends and tell them instead. grin.gif

I have to agree with walleyeweasel! I've been reading this forum for the last couple of years. I have found a lot of usefull information. But I've seen alot more useless chat as well. I really don't care who's doing what at what time. I come here to get information on the fishing and lake. Maybe some of you should start a chat room of your own to talk to each other instead of tying up this forum... It also seems some of you are having a competion on ripping on stupid ?. If someone asks a stupid ?, don't respond. Lets keep the usefull fishing information coming and get ride of the useless garb.

Then don't visit this forum, or start your own post and see how many replies you get... I find a lot of the stories pretty entertaining!

Thanks to everybody from the URL area who posts info here!! Have a good Holiday season!

I have taken very solid info from the "locals", "regulars" of this forum. I think looking in the old posts, even all the way back to last season is a great way to find the info. Sure it takes a little time on my part, but when its 294 miles from home I'd better spend some time(researching) of my own. All my trips I take the puzzle approach. Get all the pieces on paper before I leave and see if I can put them together on the ice.

Your example of "do I need an extension": Why would you drive 300 miles and not just throw it in and a wrench? I doesn't take up much space grin.gif

Well, Kelly, I for one would like to hear from you about the ice conditioning you were mentioning. If you read my post in the Blackduck Forum this morning you'll see that I put my plow-truck through a crack on Gull Lake yesterday. Luckily it was right off shore.

This is our second winter up here and we're still learning the ropes. Last year I winterized some of my cabins to accomodate winter sportmen. I religiously check certain forums each day to keep in the loop and learn from "you's" locals. I especially study the Red Lake forum because most of our guests during the winter and spring months are crappie fishermen.

Please disregard any immature remarks and made here by newbies, Kelly, and continue to help the rest of us stay on pace. They'll learn with time how these forums work. I know for a fact that last year, I for one, was asking those same repetative questions like, ice house regs, catch & release, how to fish, etc. and all of you were polite and helpful in guiding me to the right area.

Again, know that all of us respect and value your input here.

I think it's hilarious to read the posts on this forum. I do get a lot of helpful information from these guys and I appreciate the time they take. We all go up ther to have fun and these guys help us out with that.

It's a big lake and to me it sure seems like a crap shoot as far as where you set up. I am sure these guys have answered every question that could possible be asked at least a hundred times and had they only done it once no one would have any idea whats going on.

Go on up and enjoy the fishing, until a couple of years ago I didn't know that you could catch crappies that big. I realized that the fishing up there was that good by reading this forum.

Wow, what nerve, and it's Christmas. This forum is great and loaded with info. I enjoy reading odd posts from you locals and only wish I could put a face to the name and meet you all when I'm up on Red. Please disregaurd what weasel said and keep up the great work. I am very thankful for the info I get here and only hope it keeps coming. I spend hours reading through this to get great info. If you don't have the time to read these threads then stay out! Keep up the great work you "locals"!! See ya on New Years.

I also enjoy all of the posts here. I do try to use the archives if I have any obvious questions. I have met Labs and Jigglestick last winter and I hope to meet more of you this year. Maybe I'll even get around to clamping this year so I can have some real luck on Red!

On thing that you must realize rkelly is that posting usefull info here can become "work". I like most anyone else have more then enough work in life. I do not need to come on this or any forum to find out what is happening on the lake. I spend every day all winter out there. The "useless garb" that you do not like is the only way I can come on this forum and have any enjoyment or relaxation. To me checking the forum is first to see if I can slip a good jab in on Baitco. grin.gif If I can ONLY post "usefull information" I most likely will not be here cuz then it would just be an extension of the days work.

As far as stupid things,, well somethings just need to be laughed at. If I went down to the metro area and told them how to keep the traffic flowing on 494 you can bet I'ld be laughed at. confused.gif

As far as the cracks I can only speak of what I know on Hillman's road but there are some big cracks caused by the ice contracting during this cold snap. Big cracks and more then one so you don't want to go driving around out there without watching what's ahead. When it warms up the ice will try to expand but more ice will have frozen in the cracks so there will be some booming and banging going on. A tempature change of 20 below to 20 above means that somewhere on the lake the ice is going to move about 12 feet.

Keep up the GREAT WORK staff and members! I am always telling new people about this website. Its chock full of information. Since its a public forum full of free information you have a choice of being a member.If you don't like it thats your choice. If it ever left I would have to go back to week old newspaper/outdoor news information. This is a whole heck of alot easier then making many a phone call. I'm here everyday.

Ron

I can understand that. I'm not saying you can't have any fun. It just gets a little old reading the jabs you guys through out at each other in fun when I'm looking for current conditions. Maybe you should start a running post you and your friends can continue to have fun with and I would know that I'm not interested in reading. I knew I would get jumped on over this, but it's been on my mind for a while. Had to get it off my chest. By the way, you do post alot of "usefull information". I do appreciate that. Merry Christmas

rkelly and walleye, you guys have a grand total of 33 posts combinded and your going to come on here and tell people what they should and should not post. I spend some time at red and the folks you labeled as the locals are more than helpful in fact they are some of the nicest people i have met. I have not met kellyp or some of the others that post here but enjoy reading there posts. If you dont like it get your info elsewhere. Adam

Hey weasel, I think I get just as much useful info reading the posts by the locals just shooting the %*#@ as I do from the other posts. Cause alot of times their talking about certain areas or what the fish are hitting on. Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed this month? I think this forum and all the posts are great. "YESSS, ONE MORE POST FOR ME".

Happy Holidays

hey kely p I am a fisherman who lives down in the cities, and come up only a couple times a year. I just want to say thankyou for the time you give to us all with your updates and wisdom about the lake that you see every day.. Your the one who sees all the changing conditions that we cant see 5 hours away. This info is very valued to a guy like me. Keep up the good work, and again thankyou and happy holidays. Ron

hey rkelly didnt i see somthing about you and some little kids on cnn one time wink.gif. just kiddin had to throw that in....but if you dont like this place then dont read it. its as simple as that. if you want a straight up report read outdoor news. they have a red lake report and theres not humor there.

I'm poor at giving any real info on this forum, and I'm sorry for that. My quick whit & Polish temper seems to get me in trouble once in a while, believe me I'd like to say more. Upper Red has been my play ground all my life, I have a tough time with change. The Crappie craze has been a tough transition for me and quite a few of "us locals", but I'll adapt. My only wish is that Buddy Hillman can some how make 1 Million dollars when all of this is over.

I think it is great there are new friends and IBOTS being introduced to each other, I've enjoyed meeting many in westwind and on the frozen tundra. But I'm personally not to hip on all the crowding and the masses that are on the lake on any givin day, I'm on my snowmobile exploring somewhere else on the lake far, far from anyone enjoying Gods best creation, Red Lake. So dont be offended if I dont post often, I'm not being rude, arragant, or stuck-up. I'm minding my own business, still enjoying everyones post on FM. Also, I respect walleyeweasels opinion and everyone else's, we are fortunate we can voice it without getting our tounge cut off. Just my 2 cents....Merry Christmas M.B. wink.gif

Hmmm...Very interesting little discussion going on here.

Couple thoughts-

1. Useless Information- What do you call this thread??? This thread has nothing to do with fishing, ice thickness, how much the crappies weigh, what color kelly-p's plow truck is, etc

2. Being a participant- This is an open forum. Everybody has the right to post what they want to (within forum guidelines). I encourage everybody to post and ask questions. If you're not finding the info you need, ask and either good discussion will occur or you'll find out that the topic was recently beat to death last week. I believe what I'm saying is if you are not involved with the forum, you have no right to criticize the type of info that is found here. If you become more involved, you can help shape the discussion.

Just some food for thought.

I find a ton of useful information here. Sometimes you have to look through a little humor but there's usually a line or two on location, what to use or maybe how the ice is holding up. I've met Kelly P, Jigglestick and a few others and couldn't find anyone more helpful if I tried. Keep up the great info and humor, guys!

On behalf of the "newbies" new to the forum.

I am one of those new to this forum. I enjoy reading both current and archived threads. Lots of info on the lake doesn't change much, last year's threads covered jigs, water depth, and a lot more that would work now. But there are some topics, like current ice conditions, that change by the hour. That is where you "locals" deserve sincere appreciation from those of us who drive several hours to get there. I certainly hope there is always someone willing to post "current ice conditions" for that alone I would happily buy you a beer when I get there.

Take it easy on the "newbies", and give the "locals" the appreciation they deserve... my 2 cents.

I've been reading this forum for the past couple of years and finally joined this year. The locals like Kellyp post the most accurate info possible, year after year,. Do they give exact gps locales, no. There is no need if you have ever been on this lake. I've been on it a couple of times and it is not a lake where u have a regular spot on spot. The crappies move and there is little structure. But they tell you jigs, bait and how they are hitting. The recommendation to move away from the crowd is good also. The locals spend their winters making it easy for us to move on that lake and providing places to stay. The time they spend on this forum is tremendous and at the end of a hard days work too. As far as the "useless chatter", keep it up. It is the easiest way for the locals and the regulars to stay in touch and it has made me feel there is a community up there benefiting from each other. No "dadburned 612er" attitude. Thanks to all the locals for your info and time. I for one appreciate it.

12 feet!!! Hopefully it is to the west that is just about how far I need to move my ice road to get away from the crack in the ice over here…

You know outsider if this was a perfect world we would both get 6 feet of expansion and close the cracks back up without getting any pressure ridges. cool.gif

With the warmer temps the cracks were pushing back together fairly good late yesterday afternoon. Buddy put his bridge out yesterday and after we crossed the worst cracks we looked around further west and didn't find any more cracks. On Hillman's road the cracks are at 2.3 miles from shore and run north/south.

The 2nd day that it was cracking up Buddy was looking for a place to at least get his mini-van across and decided his best bet was to head back to shore before he got wet. A pickup comes driving across the lake and stops by Buddy. The guy is driving a ONE TON DESIEL!!!!!! He wants to try jump the cracks with it. confused.gif

walleye weesle

for being a former ranger your awful ingorant. this isnt a place to have everyone tell you exact locations to fish what to use and everything else. did you forget that fishin is a "sport". the people up on red lake like kelly p and everyone work hard all winter long so people can get on and off the ice safely and have fun and relax. i personally enjoy the "un informative " info that is on the forum this is a way for people to get to no one another and share stories or whatever they want. so my advise to you is to find somewhere else to complain if you dont like this place .

my 2 cents

big b

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Wow, what other lake in the state could bring such passion? Red truly is unique and her draw is intense. I've been reading the reports here and If I had to base them on past years, Red is ahead of schedule. Meaning there seems to be a decent bite right now which historical doesn't turn on till later in winter. Keep in mind just up till very recently, travel by automobile wasn't possible, couple that with the Holiday weekend so expect a limited amount of reports. I know guys are chomping at he bit to hit Red but things just got started. I can understand guys planning a long distance trip and looking for a bit of reassurance. I'll tell ya Red has the best average size crappies I've seen, if your planning a trip get there when ever you can and as often as you can. The old advice of move if things aren't happening after sunset is good and always will be good advice. Lures have been covered already but I'll add 1/8 th oz Go Demons to whats been suggested.

Asking more from someone that is already extended is hard to do, especially when we ask them to do so freely and willfully. We have to remember the forums are a place were new friendships have taken place and old friendships have flowed upon. Personally I have a vested interest how many times Ninetoes gets pulled out of the snowbank and more importantly how Halads dog is doing. Still I can get the scoop on the crappie bite if I pay attention.

One more thing on the reports, the locals may live there but that accounts for 1/1000 of the visitors that fish the lake and could be leaving a report.

Lets just get along here and let people live, things will work out better if we do.

I think its time you guys stopped being mean and making fun of the Newbies. For instance; if someone starts out with- "There were two Newbies named Ole and Sven who went out fishing"--- or asked" Whats the difference between a Newbie and a bucket of hog liver?"--- or said something like "a priest, a rabbi, and a newbie walked into a bar carrying an octapus and an auger extention"---, posts like that should be ignored. Or even deleted. grin.giftongue.gifgrin.gif

All seriousness aside, I look at Fishing Minnesota the way I look at a newspaper. There is news, sports, want ads and advertising, and the comic section. I always turn to the comics first. The Red Lake forum is like the comics for me. I consider a lot of the guys from there to be friends, even though we've never met. And the locals are so nice that they didn't throw me out of the West Wind last year when I was told that I had embarrassed my species. Please don't tell my wife. I hope to see a few of you when I get up there again this winter.