• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

WBL Metro Get Together Jan. 15th

SmellyJelly

Anytime. I'm not exactly what you'd call experienced either when it comes to icefishing. The best advice I can give you on areas to target is to check out maps of the lakes, or carry a depthfinder of some kind when you go out. Sometimes following the shacks can work too, but then it also means putting up with the crowds, and the possibility that too much pressure scares everything away. A good place for free maps is on the MN DNR website. You can pretty much locate all the deeper holes anyway.

As for setting a tipup, there's not really much to it. There are two schools of thought with what type of hook to use. If you use a treble, you have to put a spoon or some type of lure along with it as it is illegal otherwise. The down side is, that you may have to keep the fish if it swallows the treble too deeply. Which is a shame if it happens to be a fish you would normally throw back. Then again, the problem with a plain hook is that you may run out to a flag, only to find that the fish has come and gone, and your bait may be gone with it. I've heard some people have gotten better hooksets with circle hooks though, never used a circle hook for anything before, might be worth a shot.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SmellyJelly

• John Mickish

• spasticcp

• goin fishin

Smelly- I may be able to join you Sunday as well (and this time I'll drag my shelter with just in case, heh)

I still have your cell phone number so I can give that a call when I get to the acess.. yadda yadda

Let me know what time you and anyone else may be heading out....

I'd definitely be down for Sunday, probably around 9 or 10ish. Thursday is tough. I'll probably be out fishing, but staying local that day. (Coon, Forest, or Big Marine) WBL is only 15 miles away, but heading through traffic and whatnot can be a deterrent.

I bought quick strike rigs when I bought the tipups but now it sounds like I've set them up illegally. I think I've read before that adding anything to the leader or just above as they are only 6-8" would make them a lure. I'm thinking like beads or a spinner blade or such. Lots to learn.

Yeah, a lot of the rigs already come with the "attractor beads", which count for using a treble. Like I said, the only downfall is that if a real hog swallows it, it's more likely to kill it when taking it off the hook. It's really a tough call to make. I still haven't even decided how I'm going to rig mine...right now I'm old-fashioned with a plain hook/leader.

Smelly, I'll try and catch up with you on Thursday. I'll give you a call when I get close to see what part of the lake you are on. I got a pretty good idea now where the walleyes are but I'm sure it's a night bite.

goin fishin- Please give me a call on my cell phone and let me know if you are going to be fishing WBL on Thurs.

mnfishinguy- Are you still planning on going out on WBL after work on Thurs?

Peace,

SmellyJelly

I think that work thing might interfere with my fishing this week. Probably going to work late all week and the weekend too. The money will be nice cuz I think I smell a layoff coming down the pipe. (then I can fish all day, every day!)

Alright, who is up for some prefishing? Spasticcp, I am extremely glad you got the message, but I hope you could make it out for tomorrow's event. I will hit the lake around noon and drill an extreme amount of holes to find the hot spots. My cell #612-267-1939 will be this for the time I am out, so let me know if you are coming out.

Chow for now,

GF

Hey Guys,

I am a college guy at Bethel and this is only my second year ice fishing. I have some of the more basic stuff but not much experience on lakes. I was wondering if it would be alright if a couple of buddies of mine and I came on the 15th with you guys. Like I said we have the gear, and can have the bait (if you let us know what we need) but would really appreciate just learning more from some guys who really know what they were doing. The only other problem is we don't have a shelter at all, so I am wondering if that would pose a problem? Thanks!

I wish I could make it out today, but I've got too much to take care of after work today....stupid responsibilities always seem to interfere with the important things. I am open though for Friday and Sunday. It'll give me a chance to try out some of my new Go-Devils and other various glo-jigs that I haven't been able to test out yet. And I've gotta use up my colored larvae before they all croak on me.

Still haven't caught my first walleye. Hoping to get one through the ice this winter.

Went out this morning and found some crappie action on the north end suspended in 30ft of water. Will be back out around 3pm or so. I have to stop in at work, otherwise I would have just stayed out on the lake.

Chow for now,

GF

Boy,3:00 couldn't come soon enough...I am off to WBL to meet going fishin to do some pre-fishin...I will post some info. on our results later on tonight.

Peace,

SmellyJelly

Well I won't be able to make it out Sunday after all. Family thing came up I forgot about... And I'm scheduled every day next week till Sat. So I'll see all you guys the 15th!

Smelly Jelly,

I just got a chance to add into a trip to LOW for next weekend so I won't be able to make the WBL get together (bonus stop at URL which put this over the top for me). I'll keep watching the posts and see if we can get together for a little fishing yet this season. I plan to fish the Medicine and Rush ICE Series and possibly Tonka and I'm totally after an education not a trophy so if you are there I'd like to get together and fish a bit.

WallyGator12000- By all means you and your buddies show up...I just hope the weather is on our side so we don't have to be all huddled up in our portables.

Hope to see you there!

Peace,

SmellyJelly

Goin fishin and myself did some pre-fishing yesterday on the notrth end of WBL. We popped a ton of holes looking for structure that was holding fish. We found some nice spots with great potential and are saved on our gps. I am going to fish WBL on Sunday morning on the north end again and possibly moving to the south end of the lake. Next week goin fishin and myself were talking about focusing on the south end and see what that has to offer.

Max12- There are quit a few permanent houses camped right where you caught your eight pounder.

Trippleplay-

What! A chance to go to LOW and URL over WBL...how can anybody pass that up. I am jealous and happy for you at the same time. I hope to see you at other get together's as well.

Peace,

SmellyJelly

Well boys,

I am going to hit this lake hard next week for some eyes and crappie bite. Like Smellysphincter said, We may try to fish the south end as most of the recommendations from people who fish this lake say it is the easier part of the lake to fish(except for Max12, who seems to be able to catch fish that seem uncatchable). I watched his 8 pound eye swim past my camera 3 times before seeing the 27" caught by him. Although, I really enjoyed just seeing it on the ice for a short time.

It will be a fun time regardless come the 15th, and I will be making more venison brats next week. So everyone should be well fed. Hope to see everyone out there.

Chow for now,

GF

Hey Thanks SmellyJelly-

We will plan on seeing you guys out there on the 15th. Is there any bait that we should plan on bringing? We can for sure bring whatever might be needed, just have to know...We will for sure have waxies, but in terms of minnows what should we bring if anything?

Hey SmellyJelly, if you want another line in the water when you're running around next week prefishing, drop me a line, or I'll shoot you an e-mail on Monday.

goinfishing, you cost me a lot of money...after playing with your FL18 out on WBL I've been forced to go out & buy one myself. grin.gif Can't wait to get out & use it today for the first time!

Count me in for the 15th. I'll bring the grill and buns for the brats.

Smelly,

Good luck this weekend. I have been out with the flu for the past week so I haven't been out since the last time we met. Boy was that fun. Thanks for double dipping the already frozen walleye. There was a nice layer of ice to cut through when I got home. tongue.gif

Good luck this weekend and see you on the 15th!

YHD

Max12-

That is pretty funny, but I can't blame you for doing so. Once you use one, it's hard to go back w/out it. Did you get the FL-18? Glad you got to try it out. I will be doing some prefishing next week as well. I will post when I know when.

Ya hey der- Glad your feeling better, and thanks for picking up the buns and bringing the grill. We can just hook up my tank to it, so don't worry about bringing some extra 1lb tanks. I will give you a call next week. (Oh,

shocked.gifI almost forgot to mention about the Pack whoopin it up on the Bears w/their backup QB!! grin.gif

Chow for now,

GF

MNfishingy,

I can't say for sure, but I will fish WBL at least Monday morning for some eyes. I have a prepicked spot and will try it at least once. So I hope Monday will serve to catch some eyes. I will try and fish it Monday morning and let you know the results.

Chow for now,

GF

WallyGator12000- About the bait situation... I will have that narrowed down for you by the end of next week. At the moment I am thinking large suckers for northerns. Thaks for the asking!

Maximum12- Congratulations on your latest purchase of the Vexilar. They do come in handy though. I won't fish without one. Give me an email about pre-fishing WBL next week...let me know when you are free.

Ya Hey Der- goin fishin mentioned that you were on your death bed there for a while with the un-godly flu. I have picked up a few more walleye's since we last spoke. See you on the 15th!

goin fishin- my auger will be fixed on Monday...I ordered a new handle for it last Friday. Needless to say I will not be ice fishing today. How late will you be on WBL on Monday?

Peace,

SmellyJelly

i'm out on wbl almost every night after 5pm. i have a 8x12 main house off the public access by the island. stop by if you're in the neighborhood. i definatley plan to be there on the 15th , just got back from the winnie tourney yesterday. BDR, where you there? i heard your name once or twice, but never made contact. Billy

Well, the plan was to hit WBL tomorrow, but since I will be drinking my sorrows away tonight after the Pack lost. Who knows when I will wake up. So here is my plan, tomorrow I am going to just fish the pm hours at Calhoun to give me plenty of recovery time, and then fish WBL on Tuesday and Wed. pretty hard. Those two days are wide open and I can fish whenever, so if someone wants to come out, just send me a message here or call me at (612)267-1939 to find out my whereabouts.

Smellysphincter- I will be there until late for both days so you could just come out after work as long as you mention nothing of the Packers-Vikings game (just kidding).

MNfishinguy-just let me know if you can link up w/me on either day.

Hawksguy- would like to stop in and say hi, email me at [email protected] if you could give me a cell# to reach you on while out there. Or just give me some info on where exactly your main house is located and how I can identify it.

Chow for now and Peace out to the Smelly man (just kidding Smelly)

GF

goin fishin- I'll start with you....seeing the tepms. are going to be in the single digits (so the weather man say) on the 15th, I have an ear warming VIKINGS purple hat and a nice warm pair of VIKINGS gloves you can parade around in on the day of the event... remember our bet? I can't wait to see you in purple! With that said, put down your cheese curds and your crying towel and gas up your auger.

Hawksguy- I would like to hook up with you as well. Does Tues. work for you?

peace,

SmellyJelly

goin fishing: i am straight out of the access by the island, maybe 1/4 mile out. white house, steel, kinda all by myself. will email my cell to you, and will be out there tuesday for sure after 4 pm. stop by. smelly jelly: ditto on tuesday, will be out there after 4pm.give me an email and i'll send cell #. look forward to meeting you both. by the way, i'm a bears fan. don't be rippin my bears!!haha