• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Opinions on Motorized Duck Decoys...

I have $100 to spend at Cabela's and I think I am going to spend it on a 1)Robo Duck 2) Lucky Duck or 3)Mojo. Any pro's or cons anyone has experienced. They all three are direct drive now and all three look good.

Any Opions??

What is SD looking at doing with these? I don't think they are a good investment right now because I think that they will be banned soon (not that there is any real study to show a need for it or anything...). Just my guess, as to their future here anyway.

I have one but didn't even use it this year. I think its a mojo if I remember right. It runs fine but I haven't had it draw ducks like the magnet some people claim they are. In fact last time I did use it a couple years ago all the ducks went to the other end of the slough away from the stupid thing so I left it there and moved to that end to get some shooting (fortunately I was in there by myself...).

Personally I'd spend the $100 on something else. the effective ness of the SWD is not there as much as be for. also I have a feeling that you wont be able to use them in too many states for too long. I believe Arkansas eliminated the use of them next year.

But if you are bent on geting one, I'd go with the luckyduck. The wings are metal and seems to be more durable.

I wouldn't get one either I have one and have had it for the past 3 years. They work great field hunting but as far as huntng over the water I think it flares more than it brings in.

Sure it makes them look but they have learned to stay well out of distance unless your some of these morons that blast at ducks 50-60+ yards away. But that's another topic I won't get into here cause I know how just about every one feels about those kinds of people, notice I didn't say hunters.

Also I agree I think having Arkansas outlaw them this year MN I'm sure will follow suit very shortly. Then if MN outlwas them I don't think SD will be far behind so I wouldn't even bother buying one right now. But the decision is up to you.

If you already decided you're going to buy one and aren't changing your mind then I would suggest the Super Lucky Duck.

Invest in the Lucky duck. I have hunted over mojos and robos, and the Lucky runs quieter and holds the wings on stronger. The other decoys over time get a rackety sound that can scare ducks when they're close but the lucky will run real smooth. My brother and I hunted a field this year where all we brought was 2 Luckies. We layed under em with no blind and no other decoys and shot a limit of greenheads. They do work wonders on water too. Keep em lower to the water and put em where you want to shoot. A lot of times, most of the birds will land right with the Lucky. The only setback is that MN probably will ban them soon.

I have a floater Mojo. Also made a stand so I could use in fields. Mechanically it works well although the thumb screw holding the wings in sometimes gets loose. For attracting ducks, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If you hunt divers it doesn't seem to help and I usually do better without it. Don't know that I would buy one again, it seems to be less effective ever year in MN. I would get some of the shaker decoys or quiver magnets, they make a big difference on calm days.

Lucky duck!!!

Walmart had them for $50. I bought 5 of them from Gander for $46.

I think they are a miracle worker in the field and can be over water. We hunted a field that had 10,000+ mallards working it. We hunted it 6 days in a period of 2 weeks.. 4 out of the 6 times we hunted under only 2 spinners. We had flocks of 500 come within 10 yards.

Over water we had similar results.

Unless someone gives you a cabelas gift card, I would never shop there. Too pricey.

Go Lucky Duck

I would probably try one if I had some ducks in this part of the state to use them on.

Thanks for the replies. You all do a nice job at confusing a guy! For all of you that don't like your spinning decoys, are you willing to sell?

I might agree with some of you with the point about using them in the water. I plan on using it mostly in the field when the Northern ducks come down.

I do understand that these are somewhat controvercial, but I have not heard a word on the matter here in SD. I will do some research before buying.

Thanks again!

[email protected]

I'm probably going to sell my skyscraper. It's been used 6 times and I have a brand new wing set to go with it. They're not as nice as the lucky ducks but they still work dang good.

Mine was retired this season. It was a Skyscraper I think. I bought it 3 or 4 years ago for $100, worked good for the first season or two, but then the setscrew that holds on the wing wouldnt hold tight and one wing would always fall off. Well it happened this year right as the sun was starting to come up and we had to go out an pull it, I forgot to pick it up so the wing is sitting on the bottom of the pond, still. Not to mention I lost my charger so I'd charge the battery with my spotlight. I dont think I'll buy another. It makes a difference some days and doesnt on others. I think we can get along without them.

Now the Mallard Machine, that's a different story.

I have a question related to this thread I would like to ask you guys. Many spinning wing decoys come with remote controls for starting and stopping your spinner. In my understanding of the regs, it is illegal to use these remotes. Does anyone know the answer for sure on this one?

My personal opinion on spinners is that you should buy at least one. If it does not work, you could always stick it back in the bag for another time. However, if it is effective, it is usually VERY effective. Any advantage is a good advantage as long as it is legal! I suspect they will be outlawed in the near future as they have been determined to be more effective than conventional decoys. Buy at your own risk! Good luck all!

Correct, remotes are illegal in MN. What has worked well for me is running a cord to it so that I can shut it off if need be.

The remote thing is complicated but the DNR's interpretation is that yes they are illegal. They get this from the law prohibiting use of radio equipment to take game and they classify the remote as radio equipment. It doesn't specifically say anywhere that remotes are illegal, it comes from this interpretation of the statute. This hasn't been tested in any court I'm aware of, but I think they would likely prevail due to the definitions and what the remotes are. It seems to fit the language...

Rost, I think you should save yourself $80 and just get a spinning decoy that is moved by wind. I can't remember what mine is called, but it sure seems to work good.

Ryan

I've had one for 3 years. Used it a lot the first two and noticed a gradual innefectiveness occuring. Last year, brought it with one time but did not put it out.

The first few years, if you did not have one, the hunters that did have them would pull the birds away every time. Last year, it seemed if you had one out, the birds avoided you like the plauge.

If I were you, I'd spend your $80 on something else, maybe a case of shells grin.gif

You have to know how to put those suckers out. You can't just throw it out in the spread and expect it to work miracles every time.

I hunt with a spinner most of the time and it does 1 important thing: It attracts mallards/wigeon from a long ways off that wouldn't otherwise see you.

Tom, I don't know you. I've never hunted with you. Most guys don't know how to run the right spread at the right time. I don't know if that's you or not??? I hunt ducks a lot. I don't deer hunt, ice fish, pheasant hunt, etc... I was just saying that there are certain ways to run those spinners that make them more effective even when some guys claim they are not. That's all.

I hunt ducks a lot to, more than your average Joe, probably more than I should! I have noticed exactly what Tom has stated. The only exception is late season northern birds, spinners can be really effective with these guys. Probably because I am the first hunter they have encountered. I put in a lot of effort to make sure my spreads are realistic and conducive to good shots. It seems many are becoming "spinner shy". I guess its no different than other critters who become call shy like yotes and deer. I guess we have to come up with some new ideas!

Around St. Cloud you probably have a lot more hunters. Where I hunt I maybe see a couple guys a year and never anyone hunting right in our area. Spinners work great all year long if set up right where I hunt.

Matt,

You hit it right on the head and just said what I and others have been saying all along.

The ducks are getting wise to spinners.

You are very lucky if you hunt an area where there are no other hunters and there are no other hunters to the North of you that are using spinners so your spinners are effective.

Most of us others do not have that luxury.

Basicly, I'm for outlawing the motorized units; they are not good for the "sport". I'd be OK with the wind powered ones, though.

Rogue

So why would you be for wind powered decoys and not motorized? Under certain conditions, the effects are the same. ??????????

They are not "motorized", that's the difference. Under that thinking, then ALL decoys should be banned. It's when one decoy has an affect as they do (under certain conditions) that it becomes an unfair advantage to the hunter.

Wouldnt it be fun to use live decoys again? grin.gif