• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Muzzel loader with scope??

swampbuck

Just got the new issue of MN outdoor News. The weekly winner of their best buck contest shot his deer during the muzzel loader season, but in the photo it apears he has a scope on his smoke pole? Not legal!

Harmony is in SE MN kind of by Rochester. I don't subscribe to the that anymore so I haven't seen the picture, but I'd send them an email and ask what the story is if I did.

Either they are wrong, or the guy should be prosecuted...

Well, it clearly has a scope on the gun.

I think we have a problem.....

The next argument will probably be that he just used that particular gun for the picture, and in fact used a scopeless ML for the kill. ooo.gif

I can't believe that anyone would be dumb enough to take a picture of a deer they harvested illegally and then send it in for publishing. There HAS to be more to the story. However, it would not surprise if this is really the case! We live in a funny world folks!

Did you see the pic jlm?

Its pretty clear.

The only thing is that it might be a town called Harmony in another state. This one could end up with a rather humerous ending from the looks of it.

No, I have not seen the pic. You can be sure of this though, if we are talking about it others are as well. He better hope he took the deer in Harmony IA, WI, IL, or some other state or he is in some serious doo doo! I wonder if the CO's have spoken with him yet?

I too have seen the picture and there is definitely a scope on the gun. I have heard and seen too many people use scopes during the regular muzzleloader season. I ask the people why and they just say "Who is going to catch me?". This is why I hope and pray that the DNR never allows scopes during the reg. muzzleloader season. This totally defeats the purpose of what the DNR wants. Personally, I would prefer no inlines and goe back to only iron sights and the old style muzzleloaders. Just my thoughts.

I no longer subscribe to Outdoor News so I haven't seen the photo, but does it clearly say that he shot it in muzzleloader season???

Yes it does PJ.

The caption is:

Joe Jordan, of Bloomington, shot this 8-pt buck while hunting near Harmony during the recent muzzleloader season.

And in the picture, he has an ML with a scope on it.

lastscan7yv.jpg

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I don't ge the publication either. Maybe he does what I do and uses a scoped muzzleloader during the firearms season(which is legal). It wouldn't be the first time that a publication made an error in the caption. Then again whith all the new folks picking up a muzzleloader he may have messed up. You'd think someone there would know the law as well. You'd think that they don't want to have illegally harvested game in their publication.

I really hope this guy shot this deer in the regular season, because you can bet the DNR is gonna have a chat with him, if they have not already.

I think these muzzleloader hunters should not be able to use a scope during any season of hunting. What is the real meaning of black powder hunting? Did they have scopes back in their day? I think not.

I know the opinions on this are all over the board loosegoose, but I think muzzleloader hunters should be allowed to use scopes in any season, even the muzzleloader season. As far as I'm concerned it doesn't make the guns more accurate and it doesn't screw up the "real meaning" of blackpowder hunting, as you put it. What's next, no pyrodex pellets but loose is OK, no discs with primers in them, no break-action guns like the Omega, no sabots or powerbelts, no fiber-optic sights? My opinion is that if you don't want a scope that's fine, I just don't think the regulations should be that you CAN'T have one in muzzleloader season.

If the guy in the photo broke the law and used a scope in ML season, I hope they bust him. The law is the law.

I wonder if Santa's helpers (CO's) brought Joe Jordan a nice pair of Shiny Bracelets on Christmas Eve? grin.gif So Busted!!!!

What's that old saying, a picture is worth a thousand words. He'll need a thousand words to explain his way out of this one. Unless this guy has a muzzleloader without a scope he'll be giving up that nice deer. Another one for the Wall of Shame. mad.gif

If it says "recently shot in the most recent muzzleloading season", I don't believe that means the regular season the deer was shot.

I too took a look at the picture and I know he wasnt kneeling close to a bumper of a car! I guess a call to Outdoor News and DNR will clarify everything won't it???

Unless the caption is wrong and he DID shot it during the regular season?

as far as using a scope on a ML I would save my money and not put one on my gun cuz I can get 2 inch or smaller groups at 100 yards with open sights. I am happy with a group like that. i seen that picture too and thought the same thing about a scoped ML in the ML season unless he had a doctors note so he could put one on. I know one guy who hunts with a ML and he doesnt wear glasses but he says he can see his open sights but not clearly see his target or vice versa but he got a doctors note so he could hunt with a scoped ML in ML season. Shoot safe Brian

If you wear bifocals sp? You can get a note from your doctor that allows you to use a zero power scope, a guy in our hunting party uses one.

We had this discussion in our office last week so one guy called the local CO and he said if you have a visual impairment and a presription from the doctor then yes you can use a red dot scope but not a magnified scope. So hopefully they catch that clown who is in the paper.

I was watching hunting shows on ESPN yesterday mourning and came across a program featuring a muzzloader hunt in Nebraska. I think it was Babe Winkleman but I am not sure. The fella hunting was using a 3x9 scope on his muzzleloader which is not legal in the state of Nebraska. So, I guess it isn't to hard to believe that there may be someone on the cover of Outdoor News in Minnesota with a scope on his muzzloader.

I just got off the telephone with our sales rep at Outdoor News blush.gif and here is the scoop (scope) on the weekly winner in last week paper. The deer was shot in Iowa, but the person stays in Harmoney,MN. They are going to rerun the picture this week and put the correct details in the paper. He said the paper has gotten over 100 calls about it, so we have many law abiding hunters in MN.

I guess the saying is true, "the story is in the details".

Though it has been an intersting to watch!

Interesting story- maybe they will want to get the details right next time!

I had called and talked to the editor as well. Said they were looking into- this was at 9:00am this morning.

Guess they got their story straight this time grin.gif

Just shows you how atuned we are to "legal" hunting and our laws!

Well paceman your correct on the permit but wrong on the O power red dot only.I know cause i shoot a muzzy with 6 power lighted yellow cross hairs.I have a disease in my eyes where i cannot see certain things let alone things are 5-6 times farther away then a normal persons vision.I have a dead spot in the center of my retna all i see is black.So i have a permit that allows me to use any scope i need to see with.

I cant remember the gals name in charge of the permits but this is what she told me.

2005 special permits will be revised and offer more public information.(So i was told from the head cheese)

Now you guy's went and got me in trouble with the wife. I have been staying away from the ML loader because of my eyes but now that I know I can put a 0 power scope on at the least I can see a need for another barrel for the Encore.

On page 54 of the 2004 Minnesota hunting regs, a scope is legal on a muzzleloader only during the regular rifle season.

Yes we all know that they aren't legal in the muzzleloader season in MN, that's why this thread is here.

These guys are talking about special permits you can get with a disability. These change what you can and can't do (for instance shooting from a vehicle or with a cross bow). You won't find all that spelled out in the reg book...