• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big Buddy Heater Junk!!

jltimm

Question

I recently used my Big Buddy heater on 2 seperate outings,and today the pilot light would go out ,then the unit would shut off!It did this about 10 times and it was REALLY ANNOYING!I have a 5ft hose from a 20lb tank and had it on high the whole time.Maybe I'll have to go back to the heater cooker,something I can trust!!Also I noticed the heat from this unit didn't have as much as the sunflower type heater?I used it in my Eskimo QF 3,and it wasn't as warm as when I've used the suflower heater!I had the house banked good to with no drafts coming in.

• Answers 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• Surface Tension

• iffwalleyes

• jltimm

• Moose-Hunter

Two things. I had the same issues. 1. you have to let the pilot run for at least 30 sec with the button pushed in or it won't stay lit very long. 2. If you don't run the fan it doesn't radiate heat as well as the sunflowers. Only advanage I see is you can hook the small tanks to it and it puts out heat lower so it's better for keeping your feet warm.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I've used my Big Buddy twice now and froze my hinny each time because it wouldn't stay lit or refused to light. Tomorrow its going back to the store. mad.gif

Yep, I have the regular Buddy Heater and hate it. I bought it last year, used it twice with bad results. Now it sits in the shed where it belongs. I now have a Mr.Heater cooker and really like it.

Are you just gonna get your money back?If not let me know if there is an actual reason this heater is such a pain in the a*%!! mad.gif

Check to see if you can adjust the nut on the heat sensor so it gets closer to the heat, this should keep it from kicking out.

They usually have a nut on both sides of the sensor and you can set the gap closer or farther away. I have not dug into the guts of the Buddy to see for sure but it may be adjustable.

Worth a look guys.

Thanks Ed but in my case the pilot light sputters then goes out. Darn thing works great at home but not in the cold. Its let me down both times I depended on heat and this evening it was -10 shocked.gif I hope its just a lemon because I do like the heater.

Surface Tension, you don't have the only lemon mine does exactly what yours does. It's going back in the morning. Kinda sucks cause it really kicks out heat when it's about 20 degrees out. I froze for 5 hours today then walked to the bait shop and got the heater/cooker.

mudrocket... Welcome to the forum!!

Wow... I must have the only Buddy heaters that actually work right... I've been using my little buddy to heat both flip over portables and suitcase style houses. As well as my 8x8 hard house. I have yet to experience any problems with lack of heat or "funky" pilot lights.

I picked up the Big Buddy a few days ago and have been impressed with it so far. I tried it out in my hard house (in the drive way frown.gif ) and it got it up to tropical temps in no time. Otter testing should begin this weekend if family obligations don't get in the way.. LOL!!

My big buddy heated my 8x16 in the yard with no problem,but out in the real world(on the ice),in a portable it was a pain to turn on over and over again!!Besides the fact that it never really got warm in the house,heavy coat weather in the house!! mad.gif

I have used mine a couple times now and have had no problems whatsoever with it. It lights up fine, stays lit, and the heat output is almost the same as my sunflower, minus the carbon monoxide output. I don't know how the pilot light would go out if it's inside a portable??? How windy is it in there???

I bought a mr. buddy heater a couple years ago. I hate it! I had the same thing happen as many of you. It would burn for a few minutes and then the pilot would go out and shut off. I tryed everything I knew and even took it to a friend who is a gas man, and he couldn't get it to work either. I bought it used, and I can just see the guy I got it from laughing his butt off when he got rid of that thing. So know it sits in the shed on a shelf. Big waste of money as far as I'm concerned.

Norsky, my pilot wasn't going out from wind blowing on it. The flame would decrease in size and sputter when I turned up the heat like it was starving for fuel. If it was old and had given me years of good service I would have taken it apart and fixed it. Since it was brand new and gave me problems I wanted no part of it. The clerk was not surprised to see my Big Buddy being returned. I've always liked the Mr Heater line of products, hopefully the Big Buddy doesn't bankrupt the company.

I have one sitting in the garage in the box, haven't had a chance to use it yet. I was pretty happy with the Buddy - they are a a bit finicky as far as wind, but they seem to be a nice unit.

I like the fact they are quiet, unlike many other heaters on the market. What other options are there for a quiet portable heater? The sunflowers are too noisy for my liking. I may be taking my Big Buddy back too - if this is an issue for all of them.

I'm glad I've read these posts. I was going to buy one. Not any more. Thanks for the heads up fellas.

I wonder if that's why they recommend using the filter with the unit??? Maybe something is clogging the flow of gas to the burner??? My pilot light comes right on after holding the valve open for about 20-30 seconds and then sparking it. Never went out in 4 hours of fishing. I was not a fan of the other buddy heater, but the big buddy I have seems to work great. I am a little suspect now though, I'm defineately hanging onto the receipt just in case it needs to go back to Cabelas.

Used mine a couple times last week, it had no problem heating up the mag lodge with outside temps about 15 degrees, I had the heater on hi and the fan on. I think I'll keep the heater cooker along for those really cold days. I really like the zero clearance and the fresh air but the case is very cheap and it will break apart if you don't take care of it. Believe me mines in 3 pieces.

I guess I am just old school with the heater thing I only have to heat inside a fish trap pro. I love my stove top heater, I know it's an open flame but it does the job for $10 and if I want to eat a can of Campbells Chunky Soup for lunch I peel off the label and bring a spoon and I have a hot lunch heated right in the can. Other than that I have a Coleman Focus III that I like as well. Portability is an issue for me too. When I want to pull my trap around and fish the many holes I have cut I drop my stove top in a 6 gallon bucket and can move from hole to hole without relighting it. The circular plastic base keeps the propane and heater semi centered as not to melt the sides of my bucket. I like the stove top more so on really cold days and the Focus III when it's not to cold.

As far as the Big Buddy heater goes my friend just got one and he's not happy with it he uses it indoors to do work in the attic and it just wont stay lit.

Norsky, I originally used 1 lbers and had the problem. After thinking it may have been because the tanks were cold that using a bulk tank and hose would cure the problem. So I headed out in the -10 degree temps for the evening bite with Big Buddy in tow. Brrrrrr. Same thing thing happened and I had to leave the ice at prime time.

Got home and brought the heater in the house and put a warm 1 lber on and it worked like a charm.

Dan I like the Buddy heaters too because they're quiet and give off less carbon monoxide. I've had good luck with Buddies and I think I'm going to run 2 Little Buddies.

don't have a big buddy, but just a buddy. I bought it the first season they came out. I love it! I used to use a sunflower heater in the house and my eyes would water and it was noisy, and it smelled in the house. AS a safty factor I would not use a sunflower in my house again. The first time I used my buddy, I was sold on this thing. If you guys are having a problem I would check out there wed site, or call them about this. There has to be a reason why. good luck

Surface, are you using a brand new bigger tank? If its new it may not have been purged correctly, this can cause the problems you are having.

I Really like my big buddy. had it in the lodge this morning with an air temp of -5 or 7 took the edge of within minutes and had the jacket of within 5. The fan does an excellent job of circulating.

I'm about to hook up my new big buddy to a 20# tank, Ive never heard of purgeing a tank, what do you do?

I nam sitting in Iraq really wishing I knew the name of the heater that we use in our portable, have loved it the last 4 years. I will describe it maybe that will help if you go back to the store and are looking around. It is a metal heater, about a foot and a half high, it is a hexigon shape about a foot at the longest part,the base flares out and there is a red button to light it on the base,,.. cant remember the darn name. Anyways we put it between our holesin our otter 3man and have to turn the valve on the 20 pound tank so it is allmost shut or else it is too hot in the house,, very nice heater,,, I will try to get the name from my friend,

I have the otter resort, and I had just bought the mr big buddy. I found out a couple of things. 1ST you have to use a twenty Ib tank the one Ib tanks go way to fast. 2ND If you put it in your sled you won't have the problems that you do if it's on the ice. I put that in my sled then a heater cooker on the ice. Do it this way and you get more than enough heat.

Otterman.

LundDuckBoat, I want you to know you and the troops are in our thoughts and prayers of here. I know the heater your talking about but can't think of the name off hand.

About the bulk tank, no it isn't new and I tried two of my bulk tank with different hoses. Believe me I tried every thing I could to trouble shoot this problem.

ok guys I'm sitting here hooking up the recommended hose for the bb heater and I see this notice on a small piece of paper and it reads ;(" this hose assembly is equiped with a excess flow safty device, which may actuate reduceing gas flow through the hose rendering heater inoperable.If this occurs shut down heater and allow 1-5 minutes for psi to equalize then heater will work properly.") frown.gif What the heck is that all about? Do you think thats whats happening to you guys out there, if so maybe we just have to find a differnt hose somewhere, I hate to give up on this unit before I even get to use it.

Did you guys see that little notice that comes with the mr heater hose? the hose is equipped with a flow reduceing device that will render heater inoperable frown.gif It says to shut down heater and let psi to equalize 1-5 minutes then heater will work properly"" Is this whats happening to you guys ? maybe we just need to get a differnt brand hose assy. I hate to give up on this unit before I've even used it. frown.gif

sorry about the double post I got distracted, my 4y.o. daughter is trying to help with the heater. blush.gif

Well I am giving up on trying to call this companies tech support.

They do not return phone calls.

I will Email a link to this forum and see if they care to reply.

Try turning the gas on the tank slowly this equilises the presure I was told when I had this problem with a new regulater.Hope this works.