Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
18 inch Crappie

Full size truck on Buffalo 8" ice

18 inch Crappie

Was out tonight fishing and some yahoo pulled his house out with a Full size Chevy SUV and there was a F-150 out there also, there was only 8" of ice. Anybody else think maybe they drank to much lake water when there were little?

hanson

Have they forgot about last winter already!! blush.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gif

Unreal!

BackHerUp

...and then there are those who are so stupid, they actually believe it couldn't happen to them. I bet they didn't even have a life-vest, or rope with them, but I'm sure they had "beverages". God-forbid they had children with them...some role-model that would be...

Mark Christianson

Sadly, sometimes it seems it's natures way of weeding out the stupid....

I guess someone has to be first on the ice every year. grin.gif

gjk1970

Buffalo is a ungoing problem with stupidity. Last year out there guys were doing the same thing and then of coarse they knew it was stupid so instead of leaving the vehicle on shore like us smart ones did they would go racing across the lake at speeds well over 60 m.p.h. WHY is my question? Do they not know the wave effect at high speeds with that kinda weight on a lake of thin ice? That is exactly why those vehicles went threw last year. One person raced towards that shoreline to get off and the wave effect bounced back rippling the ice and down they went. That was not the only dumb thing out there last year, other so called outdoorsman driving 6 feet away from fish houses that were not theres and then to top it off they were not even fishing that area they went clear across past the court house area to the other end.Now again WHY? I guess that is one reason I am starting to save my "D" cell dead battery's for people like that and them ATV/sledders racing by the houses just as close as the truck was going running over tip ups and buckets. I am starting to think if the County/DNR does not start monitoring these lakes and enforcing the laws we are going to see some serious injuries out there..

beer batter

Poor Buffalo. I will probably never go out on Buffalo again for the reasons mentioned above. Buffalo Lake seemed to be a host spot for kids to go out and party last year. I took my family out there to spend some quality time and ended up having to listen to kids kicking beer bottles around on the ice all night. They got louder as the night wore on and more "toys" to kick around. I guess I don't blame the kids because there is a lack of things for them to do. It's just not a place that I will ever bring my kids to again.

As for the wave effect on the ice, I'm sure most people don't realize it occurs. If it really bothers you, best thing to do is inform people of it if you see someone racing off the lake. Just hope they don't take it the wrong way and start a confrontation.

The Yeti

You just stated the exact reasons why I do not like going out there anymore. It has become a circus full of (Contact US Regarding This Word)

The Yeti

I guess I used a bad word.. Let me rephrase this.. You just stated the exact reasons why I do not like going out there anymore. It has become a circus full "people whom fail to see the affects of their ill thought actions"

Ole the Guide

There are so many other lakes to fish, why put yourself open to this kind of torture? I'll stay on the other 9,999 lakes and maybe avoid a few others while I'm at it.

Here's an idea for a new thread:

"What lakes should a person stay away from cause there are too many (Contact US Regarding This Word) on it?"

Happy Holidays!

Ole the Guide cool.gif

Duffer

my bigest fear with the wave affect is that some yahoo will barrle down the lake right next to a fish house full of people and the ice breaks open right next to the fish house they not only took themselfs threw they took that house down with them and who knows maby that house has some kids or a family in it.

PikeTipper

I was out on Sunday and someones truck was already parked on the ice just off of the access. I realize that the water is only a couple of feet deep there but why would you do this? I've seen more crazy things happen out on Buffalo then probably all other lakes combined.

anyfishwilldo

Liquid courage

pikerliker

I live in LeSueur now but grew up and went to school in Buffalo. Most of my family still lives just a couple miles west of Buffalo. In my 39 years of life there have always been stupid people on Buffalo lake in the winter. I think there is some type of magnetic affect that attracts them to this spot! I know the "parking lot" just off the landing has collapsed more than once. Maybe it's monkey see monkey do? The guys driving the mongo full sized SUV's and trucks on 8 inches of ice only reinforce this theory. It's the whole "it only happens to the other guy" syndrom. Anyway I am going to give Buffalo a try or two this winter in spite of it all. Good luck to those of you with common sense!

~piker

Chipn' Star

"Buffalo Lake seemed to be a host spot for kids to go out and party last year."

And that is exactly why I went out there all through my high school years. Could be to our fishhouse 15 minutes after we got out of school. Had many good times out on that lake with friends. I feel for ya though as I will admit that once the early ice bite was over we never bothered to drill holes again. Just kinda seems that it is what the lake is coming to, either gotta accept it or call the local police out to have a looksy. Cant believe that there is actually still any fish in there anyways. Nevertheless, will prolly try to hit up some of our old hotspots over break.

swampman

PIKERLIKER I should know you I grew up just west of buffalo off cty rd 109 by lightfoot lake , ponds in front of my dads house.do we know each other?

LakeTahoe

Alright, I am all for "kids" enjoying the great outdoor etc. But I think some parents need to teach there kids a little more respect in some areas. I went out to Buffalo last night and it was a "zoo". Full size trucks, four-wheelers and sleds zipping right through the middle of the ice towns like no one was even there. Unbelievable. I was a "kid" too, and actually only 27 now and I went fishing all the time growing up, but would never try to interfere with others who were actually trying to fish. Come on! Just to clarify, it's not that there was a lot of people on the ice, there was just alot of disrespect... The real sad part is I don't think it was just kids. Oh ya, there has to be a couple of screws loose if you're driving full sized (and S-10's, for that matter) on 8 inches of ice.

As not to be completely negative it was good breaking in the new fish house and depth finder last night, for the first time this year! wink.gif

Duffer

when i was growing up that was one of the bigest things my dad made sure to teach me he would always point out the yahoos and tell me why that is wrong and what to do. these parents these days i tell u.

fishbouy

I AGREE WITH ALL OF YOU.. THE LAKE IS A ZOO, HOWEVER IT IS CONVIENENTLY PLACED CLOSE TO THE CITIES AND HAS A LOT OF ACCESSES. I AM A YOUNG MAN THOUGH AND I DON'T THINK IT'S FAIR FOR PEOPLE TO GROUP EVERY ONE "KIDS" TOGETHER SOMEONE HAS TO BUY THEM BEER AND THERE TOYS, ECT.. JUST MY 2 CENTS. BUT I ALSO WAS OUT LAST YEAR ON BUFFALO AND OTHER LAKES AND HAD TONS OF PEOPLE OUT IN FULL SIZE TRUCKS DRIVING RIGHT BY ME 10 YARDS AWAY. CAN'T POLICE OR SOMEONE DO SOMETHING. I SIT THERE AND HOPE THAT PEOPLE GO THROUGH LIKE THAT. I REMEMBER LAST YEAR WHEN THE CARS WENT THROUGH, AND PEOPLE STILL DROVE OUT THE NEXT DAY.

jigginjim

piketipper, the little white truck in buffalo access was out there three days after the lake froze. I walk out the first nite I saw it parked there. 75 ft behind the truck was only 5" of ice. DUH! He's getting braver, last year the truck was parked on shoreline all season. As for the kid's drinking party, maybe a visit from an adult may send them to a smaller lake. If the guys are out fishing, thats one thing but for the whole school to use the lake as party zone. They may be in for as surprize. Visit form a local cop who is fishing the lake? Oh, did I forget to say he has one super fast sled. Raced sno-cross in spare time.

pikerliker

Hey Swampman I also grew up along 109 (the Southern section of it) near Lake Abbie. I graduated in 84. My bus route was right by your house.

~piker

anyfishwilldo

You know the young people need to have an outlet to party and whatnot. I would think it is safe to say that the most of us have been there. I know that an ice house party was always a good time. The one difference between then and now, is the respect. I think the kids out there drinking now are not fisherpeople, and when I was out there doing the same thing, I was porbably fishing eariler that day. If the kids get to be a problem, someone needs to get the kohanas to go and ask them to move to a part of the lake where people are not fishing. Just my $.02.

swampman

Hey pikerliker let me think about the old bus days we had a rather rowdy bunch. I graduated in 79. Abbie lake that would proably make you Allen B iff not you must be a marquette. but I would guess Allen if so I do run into your brother every once and awhile.

pikerliker

Swampman I'm a Marquette. I'm guessing you are a Thomas? And yeah that was a rowdy bunch on that bus route!

~piker

swampman

nope Kath same bus stop though.my favorite bus memory was the nite they through the bus seat out the window. I cant picture you been along time daves? younger brother maybe?

BackHerUp

Quote:

..."kohanas"...

?!

It's "cojones", for you english speaking...just my .02 cents worth! grin.gif