• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New Waconia Ice Report.... Its Growing Fast

InTowneGuy

Kodiak,

I know where you are, there was a green house by me that had a dish also, but the dish was sitting on the ice, I suppose so he could take it home at night. He is not there any more.

I went out last night to bank some snow around my house, took me about 2 hours with the little snow we have.

gfishing05

You can download a map off the DNR Website or pick up a map at Cabin Fever in Victoria, You can also try at Mases Marina on Waconia they may have maps also, I don't know for sure, I have never looked for one there. I have 3 different maps of the lake.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• danny berg

• scalescratcher

• Chaska Fisherman

• Moose-Hunter

ChaskaFisherman,

Talked with Walleyenutz and he agrees with me, since we don't know the guys that are coming out on Saturday, we will not take you up on the offer of using the house.

Thanks,

Danny

Thanks for the offer though.

thanks danny

I think my buddy is going to but right off the right side of island and I was wondering if any one has had any good luck right there in about 17 to 25 feet of water

It was a pleasure meeting you Walleyenutz the other night. GF- I fished on the east side of the island in years past and had moderate success with in 22-24 fow for crappies and an occasional walleye. On wed night we landed a few eyes but no keepers and still cannot get the crappies to bite out there for us. I will keep you posted as to how things are coming along with the cold snap

Lane

Fish ON

Lane,

Thanks for the copy of the map, Either my GPS is off or the map is off. According to the coordinates on my GPS,and compairing them to the map you gave me, I am on the north east side of Cemetary, not the south west side we are on. I am hoping that it was human error on my part when I tagged my spot on the GPS. I will play with it tomorrow while I am out there.

Have a goood weekend and will see you sometime next week.

Hey Danny...

I have many spots GPS'd (and mapped)on both sides of that reef. If you'd like to email me the coordinates, I'd be happy to double check them for you. Don't worry... you wouldn't be giving away any secrets I don't already know about. grin.gif

I just got the GPS last winter and don't know if I have it figured out yet, I can guarentee 98.5% it is operator error. Looking at the two different maps I have, both maps are the same lat and long where I am at. The GPS is different.

How is your Big Buddy Heater Testing going in this cold weather?

So it's GPS operator head space, eh? grin.gif Those gizmos take a while to get used to. You'll figure it out.

Testing is going... I'll be creating a thread probably early next week with my findings. I did get a call from Mr. Heater telling me "not use it until a solution for the problem is found". Okay.. I've been warned.

Now I have the GPS figured out, I was saving my waypoints wrong...Now the map and the GPS are matching up correctly.

This weekend was awful slow where I am, only a few Crappies and Sunfish. Had a musky on the camera all weekend long, seemed like every 15 minutes he would show up on the camera swim circles around my bait and take off, Had a couple of bass come and have a looksee at the camera, but completly ignore the bait. This weekend was so much different than last weekend as far as the Walleyes go. Last weekend I had a ton of walleye on the camera, this weekend I didn't see a single one.

Scalescratcher,

Nice meeting you this weekend. Hope you had better luck out there than I did.

Hey Danny,

Great meeting you as well! The new spot I tried was not what I was hoping for. Ended up getting only 1 13" eye. Had something hit around 4:30pm on a 2# test rig that broke me off. Probably a nort or musky. Had numbers of fish through after 10pm but they wouldn't hit anything I put down there. Had several up 2-3' off the bottom but they sniffed and left. Going to try tweaking the spot next time out. Take care! Dino

I had a bunch on the vex around 10 PM also, but just couldn't make them bite. I kept downsizing the bait, but nothing happened.

You didn't get too cold did you?, I would take a nap and wake up freezing, then would turn the heat up a little, take another nap and wake up in a pool of sweat. Just couldn't keep the heat at a comfortable setting that night.

Any idea what they're getting out on Anderson's? There haven't been that many houses out there for years and years... they look all to be off the north side of the reef. I've done ok on walleye there in the past with a few craps moving through at night, but nothing to gather around like that...

TMan

1 of the nice things about that little 1 man Clam is it's pretty easy to keep warm. The bad thing is there's no sleeping! I usually hope the fish keep me busy. Don't know what those fish were after 10 but it was sure frustrating. Tman, I read that Anderson was kicking out some eyes but I don't know that first hand. Haven't spent any time on that reef during hard water. You're right though, seems like more traffic than past years. I'll continue to roll the dice in the more quiet/isolated areas.

Thanks Scale. I'd be even more curious to know how many are getting eyes over 16" over there or anywhere on the lake. I'd guess some < 16"ers are making it off the ice too... frown.gif I think the DNR really needs to revise the regs on this lake to be something of a slot limit where you can keep 14-18 inchers and one over 27" and throw the rest back. Right now you have a hard time catching anything over 16" because as soon as a fish hits that mark and is caught, its in the pan...

I too prefer the quieter areas, I am isolated on the N end right now looking for craps (Isolated is an oxymoron on that lake but doing the best I can...). Good luck all.

TMan

i second that, alot of 15" eyes, fustrating. but they have size limits for a reason and being a good sportsmen is abiding by the rules, i hope people are not taking alot of sub-16 eyes out. That just makes it harder in the long run to get the 16".

Just a little F.Y.I. on Waconia walleyes...

The lake has very little (if any) natural reproduction at this time. Most of the fish being caught are stocked. I believe this is what the DNR calls a "put-and-take" fishery. The stocking continues in hopes a natural spawn will eventually sustain the lake with only a minimal stocking effort.

I've taken a few eyes this season over that magical 16" mark. And a couple really nice ones.. (quiet Danny!!) I do put all the larger fish back in hopes that it will somehow bolster the natural reproduction process.

Please observe the 16" minimum on the lake. Let'em go, let'em grow. Even if they are hatchery fish, please put the big ones back. I know they are few and far between, but they represent our only hope for a natural walleye fishery right here in the metro.

M-H,

I'm not saying a thing, although it is about time to make my final move for the season.(hint-hint) Just haven't decided where to go. I need to stop chasing the walleye and get some fish in the freezer and the stomach. And I don't think the eel pout I'll be catching next month will fill the need for fish. I like to eat pout but I only keep a few.

I want to be clear that I do abide by and believe in promoting the current regs, but I also believe that if the DNR intends to really subsidize the every other year stocking of this lake with natural reproduction; which they admittedly state occurs (From the DNR website - "walleye recruitment into the fishable population is being supplemented by natural reproduction"), then they need to keep those prospective spawners in the lake. This current regulation does not contribute to that goal, even though some of us may choose to C & R. A slot with one over X inches would do a lot toward testing how far this lake will come toward being self-sufficient (Probably never, but we'll never find out if we don't try). This is the only way to subsidize an every other year stocking. If this doesn't get addressed soon IMHO, we can continue to have high pressure on these fish with cycles and gaps in year classes reaching catchable maturity due to a growth rate that take 3-4 years to get to 16".

But, I'm no fisheries biologist, just a Tackleman looking to improve an area fishery...

How many of you would accept a slot like this or do you prefer the minimum as is or what is your recommendation and rationale?

Hey Danny,

Doesn't sound like you need to quit chasing the eyes, you just need to be nicer to M-H! M-H you're absolutely right about the walleye fishery. There is some very limited natural reproduction but those bigger fish in the lake remaining will only continue if we all adhere to the rules and the cpr of them when we are successful. There's nothing like releasing a 28"+ fish 20 minutes from home! Maybe you can lend some insight on the general types of structure you're finding these better fish. Being stocked, I know the first thing to look for.

I agree with TMAN 100%. "Natural" healthy reproductive fish, this case it is eye's, are normally 17 to 22 inch's. I also adhere to the reg's and yes it is frustraiting when you catch 25 fish from 11 to 15 inches and then finally get a 19 incher.

When I take my kids "up-north" I teach them to Harvest the 13 to 17 inch range for dinner and leave the rest to make LOTS of wee one's.

I am all for slot limits, it saved many fisheries from people who dont practice "selective harvest". I just dont understand the thinking process the DNR used to make the reg's on Waconia. confused.gif

But then again I'm just another face poking out of my Otter in the winter, wondering who's driving by, and the guy that will wave at you out of a Lund in the summer.

Good Luck To All........ wink.gif

I think we're all basically on the same page here. We all would like to see a good walleye fishery in Waconia. Now... How to go about it. The current minimum length regs, I believe are only a start to finding a solution. If one can ever be found.

I'd be all for a x" to X" slot with one over X" system as seen on (dare I say it?) Mille Lacs. At least for a while so the DNR can get a handle on what's actually taking place in the lake.

Sorry if I was being mean to him then I owe him a cold one or two. As a matter of fact Scalescratcher you can have one also

I'm sure you're very nice to M-H! Seems that he's figured out some of the nicer fish this year so I guess you can never be "too nice"!! I'm planning on an early trip out there on Thursday. I'll let you know how I do. Will you be around?

Hey Danny...

Being mean? To me? When?

But if you were... I'll certainly take you up on that offer. grin.gif

Hi Scalescratcher... I'm not exactly sure I've actually hit a pattern or not. I just haven't put the time in to get proof. It's been mostly hit and miss, but things are starting to look up. I'd be more than happy to give you all my data, but what fun would that be? Half the fun of fishing, and sometimes the most frustrating, is finding the little buggers. Cause' they ain't going come looking for you!! Remain mobile... VERY mobile. And think "outside the box". wink.gifwink.gif

Hi M-H, I totally agree and would never think of asking you to disclose your data. I have a blast just being out and if and when I cross paths with those finny critters it just makes it that much more fun. Because of the type house I fish from my mobility is somewhat limited but I do manage to put a few on the ice. Glad to hear you're getting some nicer fish. I know they're in there, I've put a few beauties back over time. Hopefully Thursday will bring some success for some bigger fish.

scalescratcher...

With this "snowy" weather pattern coming through, the barometer may be doing a bit of "yo-yo"ing. I've had good luck on the lake with falling pressure and warm fronts.

I run sort of a "base camp" house then do my scouting from there. IF I don't have to plow snow tonight/tomorrow morning, I'll more than likely be at the "base camp" on Thursday. Drop me an email, maybe we can hook up on the ice.

Hi Moose-Hunter,

I have a Dr. appt. early tomorrow but plan on hopefully being on the lake by noon. I'll drop you an email tonight and we'll go from there.

Take care,

Dino

I won't be out again until 5:30 or 6:00 Fri night but will be out there Sat around 3:30 or 4:00

Hey all I just thought I would give an update......two words out on cemetary "dead zone" We have fished just about every day from last sat and we have only brought 2 fish through the ice (small eyes. We are thinking about moving to some other spots. My buddy is going to go scouting tomorrow and see if he can identify anything. We have been thinking about reds reef because we have never fishged it. If you have any thoughts drop me an email at [email protected] I have to head to milwaukee on friday morning for a funeral so we wont be back until sun night. I wish everyone the best of luck and look forward to hear about the catches

Lane