• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Will my 3 month old lab be okay tonight?

Rost

Just curious, should I bring my lab into the garage tonight? Currently, she is in a kennel with a semi-insulted dog house. The kennel has a tarp wrapped around it for a wind break.

The dog house has carpet on the walls and floor. I also threw in old sweatshirts, sweaters, and two insulated coats for her to snuggle with for warmth. I also have a flap of carpet hanging from the door.

Is three months too young to leave out there? If I were to put her in the garage, she'd have a porta kennel.

I can't say for sure, but do you have any insulation in the walls and ceiling? If not, it may get pretty cold in there tonight. Regarding the garage - is it heated. If not, it may be colder in the porta-kennel than the outside house.

Just my opinion.

I gotta think that 3 months is a little young to leave outside in this cold. Maybe put the porta kennel in the basement? Of course, this is coming from a guy whose dog is always in the house, but that age just seems too young.

-Hossienda

I wouldn't leave a 3 mo old pup out in this. Garage if it is insulated or at least sheetrocked should be plenty warm though. My garage will still be in the high 20's if not the 30's tonight which should be good enough... Thats where my 6 mo old lab will be...

I really am against taking them all the way inside as that's probably too warm for most outside animals. I don't know about a pup that young, but certainly a more adult dog.

Yeah, my garage is insulated and sheetrocked. I will probably bring her in the garage for the next few nights. It is always quite a bit warmer in there.

The weather we're having right now is way to cold for a pup of only 3 months old to be out.

Bring'r crate inside 'n let her stay warm.

Cuz just remember,You are the one that made the choice to have a partner.One that will be at your side no matter what.

Treat 'm well 'n they will to.

Best of luck,hope it's a real hunter for ya!

My 4 month old Britt is at my feet bite'n so it's either,let me out or let's play!!

I think it's go out'n do yur business and it's time for bed. (Crate is in the kid's room):) ><>

I also have a three month old. She has a runway outside, with a hole into the unheated garage. In the garage she has a 3 x 3 house insulated on all 6 sides and a little staging (for the lack of a better word) area before she goes outside. The garage stays around 20 degrees and of course inside the insulated house is warmer that that when she is in there. She seemed fine and as energetic as ever when I let her out this morning. I dont think I would have wanted to leave her outside all night though, thats for sure.

I think at her age she should come into the garage, make sure to throw a blanket over her crate or she would be better off in her house outside. There is no insulating properties to a crate and al her body heat is escaping to the garage. A blanket over the crate allows her body heat to remain within the crate. My adult dogs come into the garage when it is below zero, i keep it heated to 48 degrees, they remain comfortable in there. They will not be comfortable in a heated house if they are outside dogs. We were in Sodak this weekend when the cold hit, so the dogs were in the room with us... nothing better than 10 hours of panting and spinning around trying to get comfortable! laugh.gif

Good Luck!

Ken

crate her and bring her inside the house or just house train her and keep her inside in the cold months.

Just because you want an inside dog Kodiak, doesn't mean everyone has to have one. Your response doesn't address the question of this thread.

Most animals I've had prefer to be outside...

My lab (Maggie) is an inside dog. I knew I lost the battle of having an outside dog when I came home from deer hunting and Maggie was curled up on the end of the bed. Maggie prefers to be outside as much as possible except when it gets cold. This week when it was time to go out she would go out and as soon as she was finished taking care of business she would be right back at the door waiting to come in.

It is interesting she does not want to be outside if it is really cold unless we are hunting. If we are hunting she will go all day. How can you tell if a dog is having problems from the cold? Maggie does not stand still long enough for me to tell if she is shivering. I guess I have decided that if I can stand the cold that she can.

Bring the pup inside and keep it crated, a pup that young can not generat enough heat to keep warm.Older dogs can fend off cold by shivering and warming up, puppies can't sustain the body heat yet.

If you want to pup to stay out side then your going to have to build it a nice insulated house with a staging area and a covered door way.

You can add a light bulb in the roof to heat it, but don't use hay as it is not an insulator.It will get moist and damp then turn to ice.

A quality dog bed will do with an old quilt, then use R14 or some type of high R insulation in the walls and roof.

A removable roof will help with cleaning the inside.

lawdog,don't start bashing people for giving advice.Just because you think one way doesn't mean your totaly right, if you have advice please give it.

But don't turn this thread into an arguement because you don't think the same as some one else.

Thanks, Benny

Quote:

lawdog,don't start bashing people for giving advice.Just because you think one way doesn't mean your totaly right, if you have advice please give it.

But don't turn this thread into an arguement because you don't think the same as some one else.

Thanks, Benny

You should re-read my posts and the one I was commenting on that prompted your response before saying that Benny because you couldn't be more wrong in what you assume. If you bother to look, you will see that earlier I had given my thoughts on the pup's inability to handle this cold. You will also see that the guy I was responding to was doing exactly what you are saying I did (saying it had to be his way and that the dog needs to be an inside dog) and I was telling him the same thing you are telling me (that it doesn't have to be and he shouldn't try to tell him it does). Don't rip me for petes sake, I was saying the same thing you are! Sheesh...

Quote:

Just because you want an inside dog Kodiak, doesn't mean everyone has to have one. Your response doesn't address the question of this thread.

Most animals I've had prefer to be outside...

well...i did not say I prefer an inside dog, the puppy is only three months old??!?! She is only 3 months old and doesnt even have her dog coat yet nor the body fat to keep warm. I wasn't suggesting you should have a house dog nor did i say i prefer it. But...you will have a better dog if you keep it around the family and dont keep it outside by itself, labs LOVE people not isolation. I am not picking a forum fight I am just clearing up what i said, the pup is to young to be out in the winter. There is the answer to the question. Why do you have such a shore fuse anyway, get a grip. I answered the question, ROOST asked the question, what should i do with my dog when it is cold out, i said "crate it bring it in the house (or) train it and keep it inside for the cold months". Not "train it to be a permenant house dog and make it a full time house dog".