• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pike Hole resort

Aside from the restaurant at Pike Hole resort which is excellant can anybody say anything about the cabins there and what a stay there would be like. Thanks much, Bob

Me and my family have been staying at the Pike Hole for about 15 years. So here's a few thoughts...

GREAT LOCATION. Easy access to Cass, Pug Hole, the Turtle River, Kitchi, and for a little extra ride, Big and Little Rice lakes. So if the winds pick up, you can always get to a body of water that's fishable.

Great owners. Frank and Gert Patterson are really nice folks. Very accomodating and friendly. They always made sure we could use the cabin closest to the water when my Grandpa was around. Give them a call if you like to make your own impressions.

Immediate access to great food/drink. You already know that.

Not sure what you're looking for as far as accomodations are concerned, but we've always been very happy with ours. Nice and clean with plenty of room. They've expanded and remodeled quite a few of the units as well. I think they have a website where you can check out what types of cabins they have. Might be some photos as well. You might find newer, fancier, and more spacious places to stay elsewhere on Cass lake.. but for everything it has going for it, it seems like a logical choice to me. Oh yeah, and did I mention that can walk to Pike Hole for a cold beer and mushroom/swiss burger anytime? Mmmm.

Mark

Mark,

Only A beer? You will definitely make that walk again in June and I'll see you then.

Bob,

Can't agree more with Mark on LOCATION. On the other hand, that could be bad if you are an indecisive kind of guy. So many choices on where to fish. I've been coming to Cass for 30 yrs and I already have 2 or 3 places I'm planning next June that I have never tried before. I guess that means I still don't have any "sure things".

Anyway, welcome to the forum. Now, give us some more info. You been on Cass/Kitchi before? What's your situation - group of guys, family, fishin' everything or just big uns, and what time of year?

PS I should add one other good thing about location: If you are so inclined, it is easy for you to fish the River at night from all the docks while everyone else is just hitting the hay. Been known to get some nice walleye doing that. On our fishing trip we have a favorite saying - "Sleep is overrated".

Thanks guys, I see you are both from the Chicago area. I grew up in the city and lived in Lombard until '82 when I moved to Utah. Fished my whole life in Wis. & Mn until the move. Got back there in 2003 and fished Vermilion (camping) and stayed at Kitchi landing this year in July but our trip was cut short when my dog got severly ill and we had to return home. Pike Hole's web site is what got us interested as it looks really nice and as you said is better suited to fish Cass if you want to. My wife is long time fishing companion and we love moderate living as it seems Pike Hole is. Trying to get my son, his wife and son to go with us next Sept. We hope we can get cabin #5 reserved soon. We'll be bringing our Tracker 16' deep V with us but will also enjoy some fishing from the pier. What a plus that will be when whitecapping on the lakes. Do you think I will need entension cords from the cabin to recharge the boat batteries in the boat? Thanks again guys and maybe we'll see you on the water or in the restaurant/bar. Bob

Well Bob,I don't know the diff between Riverdale UT and Lombard, but I know that since you left in '82 the biggest change here is that there are about twice as many cars on the streets these days.

If you do get your son and his family to go with you, it seems Cabin 5 will be good for you especially in Sept. since it has a fireplace. We have always loved the look of that cabin while taking the bend in the river over to the restaurant. Not positive, but I think you will need the ext cord for your batteries. Mark would know better.

July is usually too hot for me, but why Sept? That's too late for me. Come up the week of June 13 and then you can meet up with us and we'll certainly talk some fishing.

Later,

Gene, Last two years we did Vermilion and Kitchi in early July and it rained almost every day and was plenty windy. I know thats not always the case but we're hoping for more moderate weather in Sept. We've always been a June or Sept. fishermen and want to try the latter this year. We primarily hunt Muskies as we do on our home lake here and have gotten several 36"s, a 44" and a 48" but always enjoy panfish and walleyes for the table fair. Muskies and all else is C&R. Hope you leave us some fish from June. Bob

Yeah, one of 2 things can ruin a fishing trip: skeeters or rain (I don't think I would let my sick dog stop me like yours did to you). You must have more free time than me. I just go to get away from it all and I only hope for either Good fishing (being out on the water) or Great fishing (actually catching a bunch).

Fishing Muskie in Sept is pretty popular on Cass. I'm pretty sure MuskyMark hits it the end of Sept or early Oct for 'skis. He can share experience with you on those. I've never fished for them but I did see one sunning himself right in the Turtle River out from the launch at PikeHole last June. Nice size fish so I stopped and circled him and threw a few times but he wasn't interested. Kinda cool though.

Never been anywhere else except Cass for a week but I hear Vermillion can be pretty good. After 30 yrs at Cass though, we just won't change our stripes.

Keep in touch,

Yea Gene, I know what you mean about seeing muskys. That perch spot I told you about in an earlier post, just this last summer we saw 3 muskys sitting in the shallows. One was a real brusier. I threw at him a few times, and one day he went for my lure, but he missed. Oh well. Its still just fun seeing him. Maybe he's why the perch have moved out. Just found out that me and Gowdy are neighbors, kinda. I'm in Schaumburg and he's in Barrington grin.gif

Good morning guys, Merry Christmas and I hope you're at home enjoying the day. Just a couple of more simple questions if you don't mind about Pike Hole. Hows the boat ramp there? I'll be launching a 16' deep V with a two wheel drive pickup with posi-traction? Also their broshure says they have live bait but their web site doesn't mention this. How is the store at Pennington for bait and groceries. For eats though we prefer the supermarket at Cass lake. Thanks again and please enjoy the holidays, gotta go find my supply of Shore Lunch breading. Bob

ffishman,

We need to get together next spring for a little Lake Barrington fishing. Man, it is amazing!!! 5 lb bass one after another, and huge crappies.

Take Care and great holidays to all!!!

Gowdy

Bob,

The access at Pike Hole is gravel so it could be good enough or you can just put the boat in a Knutson dam. The Pennington convenience store is a great little place to get fishing supplies and bait. It also works for miscellaneous food and alcoholic beverage needs.

I will also second that the owners of Pike Hole are great folks!

Brian,

Where is this store at?? I didn't know that there was a little place around there for odds and ends (mostly beer, as I always seem to run out!)

Take care and have a great holiday season!! Remember, get some chubby little northwoods beauty and keep yourself warm on those cold nights!!!

Gowdy

Mr.Gowdy,

Yes the Pennington Scenic Store is a great little shop for booz, some food and fishing supplies...plus when Kate worked there that was a bonus too!! From the Shoe you will head out to the main blacktop road #33 I think and head right(North). When you get to the stop sign go right on #12, this will take you past Pike Hole Bar...keep going until you come to another stop sign, go left and it is a short distance down the road on your right hand side...they also have fuel for boats and cars.

Gowdy keeps stiffing the Texan on invited trips and he'll be needing places to eat the third week of may '05 as well... cool.gif

Brian,

It was about 13 yrs ago when I stayed at Pike Hole and I know my memory ain't what it used to be, so either I don't know what I'm talking about, or there are 2 stores in Pennington, or you are sending Gowdy on a little trip. You told him to turn left at the stop sign. Wouldn't it be a right, then the store is on the right?

Bob,

Many years ago they sold bait at Lost Acres resort on Kitchi and probably still do so if you run low on the water stop over there and check.

Ffishman,

Don't remember where the perch spot is so I'll try to find the old thread....never mind, you can take me there in June.

Gowdy,

Springtime C&R on Lk Barrington with Ffishman? Can I come too? Please, please, pretty please? Maybe we can get MuskyMark to show up too and make it a real Cass get together.

Texan,

I'm inviting you too - whether or not you are personna non-grata after that crack about where Gowdy's gonna be eatin' in May. I know you were just kiddin' - all good cooks love to share their masterpiece, right?

Gene,

I think there used to be one on the corner but it was more for collectibles. The only store in Pennington now is on the East side of #39.

Well at least I knew what I was talking about IF we were talking about 13 yrs ago. Maybe my memory ain't so bad after all..it's just rather selective that's all.

It seems like when we came past Pennington this past summer, don't blink or you'll miss it, there was the store and a little drive in eat place, but I dream a lot lately also so thats questionable. I did slow down but Pennington still went by fast. One block @ 40 mph = about 2 seconds. Bait at Lost Acres sounds good, thanks Gene. While I think about it one of my friends in the Chicago area has said that Illinois fishing has really come back since the clean waters act came in years ago. Anybody confirm this? I've heard about Muskies in the fox river, largemouth bass in the chain of lakes and so forth and I know lake Michigan is still producing much, even smallies in the Calumet harbor.

Yes, Bob, Illinois fishing has alot to offer for whatever you are after. That is why my wife can not understand why I drive 11 hours to go fishing for the week. It really is so much better than years ago, but also like the congested streets, boat traffic can be bad-especially on the Chain.

I haven't had much time around here to fish because I have been involved/coaching with my son's baseball teams for about 9 yrs now so it was hard to getaway even for a day in summertime. This past summer I spent many weekends chasing Gills, LMB, and Cats just south of Dixon. I live so close to Lk Michigan but last fall I went for the first time since I was a little kid to try for perch. Definitely gonna try again in Spring. Gotta get limbered up for my MN trip you know!

Hey Gowdy, count me in. Lake Barrington sounds like a good spot to try. I'm retired so I am open most any time, execpt Fridays. Let me know. My email is [email protected] shoot me an email and I can give you my phone number. smile.gif

Oh yea, Gowdy forgot to ask. When are you going to be at Cass this year. We will be there from June 11th to the 25th. Gene is supposed to be up there about the same time, so we will bet at the "hole" for burgers, hope you will be there the same time. tongue.gif

Ffishman,

I'll be up there with the Texan in May. I believe it is May 20-27th.

We need to have a little Cass Lake get together over at Lake Barrington. I'll get it lined up for the first part of May.

Texan, this year you better get that oven going. Last year there were no chocolate chip cookies (Those pumpkin cheesecakes were darn good, though. The only problem is that the Jouster and Jihad ate them all!!!).

Best wishes for great New Year to all of you desparados!! I have a great time on this board and hope that all of you do, too!!!

Take care,

Gowdy

Sheesh. Took a vacation from my computer since before Christmas and look what I missed!

Gene. I'm definitely planning on returning to Cass somewhere between the second and 3rd week of June for our annual trip. Might even bring a couple new recruits with me if possible... so we might have a pretty substantial gathering at the Pike Hole. Hope we all manage to put the beers down long enough to actually go fishing. crazy.gif

And I did forget to mention in my original reply about how you can catch fish on all the piers at the Pike Hole resort... particularly in front of cabin 5. In June, when the walleyes are still moving from Kitchi back to the main lake, people do pretty well in the evenings and at night off that pier. And I've seen some big muskies in the river, but never caught any out of there in June. A little spawned out yet I guess. They can be caught, but you really have to work at it. It get's easier from mid-summer on... which is why I head back up there for a muskies-only trip in Sept/Oct. But I still think early to mid June is the best multi-species timeframe. That's probably the hottest fishing month on Kitchi as well.

Mark

Of course! Life is a vacation Gene! Nice thing about working at the same place for 10 years. Actually, that's about one of the only nice things I can think about regarding work right now... but at least it's something!

I work in front of a monitor all day... so I figured the vacation would be a nice break away from computers in general. Glad to be back online now though. My productivity at work gradually begins to suffer as the winter dwindles away and soft water conditions approach again. Time to start planning for the next trip to Cass!

Mark,

I just hit 20 yrs at my place and it is the same like yours-only nice thing is twice as much vac as for 10 yrs.

Some new recruits, huh? Better apply for your guide license now.

You might want to consider the 2nd wk of June instead of the 3rd. I will be there June 11th and I'm kinda thinking that since last yr the weather was so funky up there that this year it will be more normal - and that means a higher potential for mayflys the 3rd wk. No way to predict it though.

Gene,

20 years eh? Good for you! You gotta love that vacation time.

Yeah. I'm always looking to convert someone else into a Cass/Kitchi freak. Misery loves company you know!

And there's a very good chance we'll be heading back up to Cass on the 11th. Seems to be a pretty good timeframe. Used to be we would even run into some pretty nice weather in early June, but it's been pretty cool and cloudy the last few years. You never know though. Doesn't seem like anyplace in the upper midwest gets too much warm weather during the summers any more. Who cares...as long as the fishing is good!

Gene, Mark,

I'm a dedicated Kitchie/Cass freak. Dedicated. Fish Kitchie all morning (maybe even go into the Rice Lakes), then stop for a double mushroom Swiss on the way back to the 'Shoe'.

Man, I'm primed. I was staring at my gear all night Saturday night. Dribbling beer down my shirt, just staring at my stuff. Had my new slew of Mepps spinners, jigs, and walleye snells laid out on a table like they were the guest of honor at a wake.

Man, oh man, I am READY!!

Take care,

Gowdy

"Guest of honor at a wake"...you're KILLING me!

We will also have to talk favorite lures while we are going over the map that MuskyMark highlights for us when we meet at Lk Barrington.

Last year I started for Lil Rice, but didn't even get very far out of Kitchi. I been in Little Rice before but never up into Big Rice. First time for everything...this could be the year if you are persuasive enough - but no fisherman's lies please. I'll be waiting for your May report, and of course my own experience on Kitchi before I make the decision to make that long trip upriver.

You guys gotta make sure you feed me the info about the date/time/locations of the Lk Barrington meeting. I'm right next to Rt 59 so I'm pretty close to that area.

I've been up to both B. and L. Rice lakes on numerous occasions. Mostly fishing for walleyes, bass, and pike. Caught some nice bass/small pike on the river on the way up to both lakes... but never had much luck for any of these on L. Rice. Big Rice has produced a good bunch of walleyes a couple times though... but not for the last couple years now. It's a nice trip up there in any case.