• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trace Lake-can anyone verify this?

Not my info, found on another site:

Here is your Christmas present. Trace lake, Grey Eagle, MN. Small lake 2 hours NW of MLPS. Lake is on NW edge of town. Walleyes limits 14" - 21". Majority of fish 14 -17". No big fish, only eaters. Walleye rearing pond that has not froze out for a number of years. Realitively undiscovered untill about a week ago. Another lake in area still undiscovered and don't ask. Limits are being caught daily on Trace Lake with local fish hawgs double dipping for two limits early morning and early evening and going back day after day. These are the same slobs that abuse the the laws and ruin it everywhere there is a good bite. 8" of ice and thickening. Public access and walk out is less than 100 yards to the fish. Lake is less than 10" deep. Very little food in lake, so if one swims by it will bite. Get em while you can. Need I say more?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Well I can't verify it. But here's the info from the DNR on it. It's been stocked pretty heavily since it froze out in 1986. It also likely froze out in 2000-2001 unless it was aeriated as many smaller lakes in the area did that winter.

Trace Lake Info

Anyone know the CO in that area? I may very well send a email to the DNR regards to this as a heads up to them. No excuse for taking more than you are legally able to or need.

Borch

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Yeah it doesn't state that it was a rearing pond but it sure matches the profile. Especially with the stocking info considered.

BTW I did send the DNR an email regarding the over harvest by some folks. Maybe if they nail a few that'll slow the hogs down a bit.

Sounds like this lake is a winner...I would love to make a trip up to reel in some eyes. It really sucks that there are people who will abuse our fishing privilages and ruin it for the rest of us by taking there limits twice and double dipping as they say. Does that Lake usually have quite a bit of houses out on it or is it kind of a hidden lake????

Millions of walleye in a 6 foot deep, 250 acre lake? Do you even need bait? Just drop a hook down and you'll probably snag one crazy.gif

I hate to burst your bubble but I have fished the lake 3 times so far this winter and have come up empty handed each time. The last time I was out there the DNR was also there and I was able to talk with him about this lake and many others in the area. He told me that this fall they traped the lake heavely and took out the Walleyes to be placed in different lakes in the area like Big Birch and Little Birch. So if I were to be traveling many miles to fish I think I would cross this lake off my list of lakes to try. Just thought I would let you know before you waste crazy.gif alot of time on a pond instead of a lake.

I have driven by this lake many times wondering how the fishing was. When I asked about it I was told to avoid the lake. I guess years ago they used the southeast shore as the city dump, and that if you went looking you would find a lot of junk by the cattails. So I have never tried it, but may have to for some C&R.

I just got back from the dead sea about 30 min. ago did not catch anything but one yellow bullhead about 7 inches long. They're was a few others out there that had the same luck none. I don't know where the person who started this myth got his imformation from but every body I talked to out there said that they havent caught much out of the lake since 2001. These were locals and may not be telling me every thing but what I seen tonight I would have to say that they are being preaty honest. They had mentioned one other lake in the area I forgot the name but they said they were catching a few but not in great numbers. I heard the crapies were on the bite on Pearl and will be going there this weekend between Christmas events. mad.gif

Sorry if I led any of you in the wrong direction. I know how rumors fly around on the internet and I was careful to point out that this was a rumor and I was looking for verification.

I wouldnt have made the trip myself, but my bro is in Coon Rapids and I may have let him know about it if it was true.

Thanks for the info guys!

Some times they sound a little to good to be true but hey that is what this forum does. Give everybody enough information so that they can make an educated decision on what to do....mine is not to try that lake. Thanks for the info!!! Pearl sounds like the place to be!!! GOOD LUCK

Don't know if they are still biting, evidently not, but they were earlier. Didn't fish it myself but a friend of mine was there last week and limited out on walleye. I didn't see the fish but he said they were 18 inchers.

The lake was fished heavy on first ice its a rearing pond and there were limits taken but theres been as many as 50 hs out there now and then since but this last weekend it has tapered down considerably and so has the action, There are some decent sized Hybred sunfish in there also with lots of weeds throughout the lake its only 6 ft deep.

anyone no of asnything going on there lately?bak her up and his buddy are there today

Well...we did go there yesterday. I struck out, but was only there for a couple hours. My friend was there before me and he managed to land one about 14". We were on top of weeds that made it difficult to jig without getting all tangled up. Same thing when the minnow swam around at the end of a bobber-rig!

About 40 yards west of where we were, a dad and his 3 girls caught 4 walleyes (on tip-ups). I don't know if they were in or away from weeds...I bet they weren't. I'm sure they knew the lake better than we did (our first time there)...it is a featureless lake averaging 5' with a deep spot of 6' in the middle (this according to a lakemap from the DNR).