Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Crickschop04

Rochester Area

18 posts in this topic

Is there anyplace in the immediate Roch. area that has safe ice yet? (Willow Creek, Fosters, Chester, Pits, or Gamehaven)

crickschop,

First Welcome!! I do need to echo the DNR when they state no ice should ever be considered "safe ice". A little disclaimer for ya!lol

MOst of the area empoundments should have "walkable ice".

If uncertain, bring a spud. Always bring safety measures, specifically a buddy and maybe some rope.

Chester is known for Springs and varied ice, but there was a thread indicating walkable ice if you do a quick search.

I imagine folks that have ventured out will help give me specifics.

I have yet to get out locally, but plan to very soon!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

I know that people have been on the larger lake at the country Club pits. I plan to take a stroll tomorrow and check on things at Foster and the CC pits and will post what I find then.

I FISHED FOSTER TONITE AND THERE WAS ABOUT 5 1/2" TO 6" OF ICE. FISHED CHESTER SUNDAY AND THERE WAS ABOUT 5" THEN. GOOD LUCK AND KEEP IT SAFE! laugh.gif

SHANE

Shane,

If you don't mind me asking- What part of Fosters were you on? NW corner or where? Also how did you do?

I went to the CC pits and they are primetime and Foster's got about four inches in the NE corner. There was a small portable out in front of the beach. No one else there.

With the snow, I could not see where any water has come up on the ice and only one mid-lake crack from east to west that wet the snow some.

Things look good for fishing there and the snow will certainly make things better than they were at first last year.

DAN I WAS ON THE NORTH CENTRAL PART OF FOSTERS IN ABOUT 16' OF WATER. I CAUGHT 2 CRAPPIES AND TWO SUNNIES. CAUGHT THE FISH ON A GLOW JIG AND WAX WORMS. MY CRAPPIE MINNOWS DIED ON ME. CAUGHT THE FISH FROM 12' TO ABOUT 15' DEEP.

SHANE

Shane...Was that your trail with the smaller portable on skis?

Thanks Shane,

My brother and I are gonna give it a try in the morning at around 7:30. We are going to try the SW corner. Then go rooster hunting around 9-9:30. I'll post how we did when I get home.

YES TOM THAT WAS ME. BUT THOSE WERE NOT SKI TRACKS. I CUT UP A OLD TRUCK BED LINER IN 2"WIDE STRIPS AND BOLTED THEM TO THE BOTTOM FOR WEAR STRIPS. WORKS GREAT.

Well we made it out to Fosters this morning and what a reward it was. Five trout, three perch, three crappie, and two sunnies.

We fished the southwest corner by the half sumerged pinic table. It was 16 feet deep and all the fish came out of 12-15 feet. Waxies and crappie minnows both were working equally well.

The trout are very agressive, when they take it there aint no screwing around. It just takes right off.

All fished released.

How come when you want something to go down the hole it won't. Them trout are slippery and if one squirts out of your hands and lands on the floor of a very small fish house it can raise havoc with open tackle boxes and things. Different story if it was a camera or cell phone or even worse the gps.

Got out and set up at 7:45 and fished untill noon.

Biggest trout was 16+" rainbow. Strong fish!

Played hookie today, huh? Good for you. Glad to here the bite is on there too. White pick-up? If you get a chance, can you toss me a mail tonight?

Hey Tom-

Hook key You bet! Kind of nice to be getting vacation pay to go fishin'! Funny how the word hookie and fishing kinda go together aint it? How about jigginIdis or fishinpox. Think they would work for callin in sick?

I'd just call in and tell them I was too healthy to work inside all day.

Maybe I'll call in and tell them "I can't see.....................I can't see my arse coming in today"

DAN, SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAD A GOOD OUTING TODAY! I WIMPED OUT, THE WIND ADVISERY KEPT ME INDOORS. HOW THICK WAS THE ICE? IT WAS ABOUT 6" TUESDAY NITE.

SHANE

Quote:

Maybe I'll call in and tell them "I can't see.....................I can't see my arse coming in today"

That condition is known as "Rectal Glaucoma"

Or rectal -cranial inversion.....or anal opticytis but I guess if this were the affliction he'd not be able to see to fish. Might as well work then. lol