• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Grand Lake Crappies

Any reports on Grand lake on where to catch the Crappies and how thick the Ice is...I imagine it is getting pretty thick after all of this COLD!!!!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I haven't talked to anyone who has fished it yet as it was one of the last in the area to ice over. Then the wind meesed up what was there. Most are hitting Pearl instead which has better ice last I heard anyways.

Thanks for the reply Borch. I like fishing the local lakes around here because of the short Drive. Pearl has been a good Lake and I might give it a shot

Pearl- actually thinking about hitting Pearl lake tomorrow evening after work (6:00-6:30pm). Is there a night bite on the lake for crappies?

Looking at a lake map, what direction would I take from the access?

I use to catch crappies on the south side out in front of the 2 silos by the highway. I would just park off to the side of the road and walk out. Shoulda had a GPS back then.

Quote:

I use to catch crappies on the south side out in front of the 2 silos by the highway. I would just park off to the side of the road and walk out. Shoulda had a GPS back then.

That's one of the popular spots. Actually I've done well on lots of areas on the lake(north, east, south, west and center). If you look at the map it doesn't show much for structure. There is a bar/flat with a decent drop off just east of the landing. There's another on the east side and on on the SW side. All can be good at times and terrible during others. I'd start at the weedline and work my way out. There is usually a pretty good evening bite. The crappies seem to be biting and guys are also getting some eyes. Don't get married to a spot and keep moving to get into the fish.

If I go out and get into them I will see if I can post some coordinates from my GPS that way we can all get pretty darn close to the bite. Any in return would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance.

Quote:

If I go out and get into them I will see if I can post some coordinates from my GPS that way we can all get pretty darn close to the bite. Any in return would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance.

I'd be careful about posting exact spots to a hot bite here. There are 50-100 times more lurkers than posters. That'll give you a better idea as to how many folks would be showing up at you spot. Feel free to give general locations/presentations and if you want to give out exact spots to someone take it to email. Otherwise you may be very surprised as to how many folks end up at your spot.

Just speaking from expereience.

Thanks for the Tip Borch. If I do find a nice spot that we have been doing well on I will give it to an FM member through E-Mail. Going to take the next couple days off and probably head out to Pearl. Thanks again!!!

What are the Crappies biting on at Pearl? And what are the best times? anything biting during the day or morning? anybody have any luck confused.gif

Well I went and fished Grand tonight. I hadn't heard a word as to how anyone has been doing there. Now I know why! laugh.gif I fished from 10-34 ft from 5:00 - 8:30 pm. Not a single bite and very little on the Vex. Those that were there were lookers. I had one stare down my bait for 10 straight minutes. They would follow the bait up and down. But I just could do anything to trigger the the few I saw tonight. There was 10-12" of good ice with some areas of rough ice as well.

I think I'll hit Big Lake or Rice next time.

Borch

Thanks for the reply Borch. I will now stay away from Grand until later in the season. Still a good lake it is sometimes just finding the fish that can present a problem. A friend of mine made it up to Smith Lake which is in between Osakis and Alex and last night they slapped the crappies. They caught about 40 slabs. 3pm-7:30p great to hear some good reports. Thank god for that cold front moving out.

I was on Grand from about 11:00 a.m until 5:00, got one northern. There was no activity on the vexilar until about 4:00, then a lot of activity, but no takers. I was fishing from 10-25 feet.