• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Detroit Lakes Forum Get Together

Was thinking we should plan a get together on an area lake some time in January. Any suggestions on a lake from you guys? Walleyes or Crappies would be my target of choice, what do you all think. We'll decide on a lake, and then a date. I'm tenatively thinking January 17th or 18th (Sat or Sun) any other suggestions are welcome. Lets try to have a good outing this year and get a chance to meet one another, while hopefully catching some fish.

Everyone have a safe Holiday season.

Fisherdog

fisherdog-

sounds great, but i think you were looking at the 04 calendar. i think we could get a good turnout for an event like this. i don't know many people around the area so this would be great for me. as for the place, anywhere with good ice where we can catch fish grin.gifgrin.gif

Your correct, I was looking at the 04 calender. How about Jan. 15 or 16, again, Sat. or Sun. Any lake suggestions?

Fisherdog

Ill try to make it, Ill be at LOW from the 12th on, but depending on the action I may be back for the weekend. pretty sure ill be back sat eve regardless tho, so Sun. would probly work..?

any lake works for me.

hmmm, trying to think of a good crappie wally lake.

hey, how about URL shocked.gif

Ya, I know, abit far to drive for most,heh, heh, what about Lida or DL

Those dates will work for me! Sounds like fun. We havent had a get togather in a couple years. Any lake is fine... Paul

It doesn't have to be the 15th or 16th, just a suggestion, any other weekend would do, even in to February. Still no lake suggestions, any lake ideas?

Fisherdog

Sounds like something I'd want to do....I just bought a house and moved in close to Hawley a month ago. I want to learn the lakes and meet others in the area. Been out on Sand with no luck other than seeing a few REAL small perch with my Aqua Vu banging my split shot and leaving the minnow alone.

BUT, it might be a little hard since I'm getting my eyes blasted (Lasik) on the 14th. Actually I'm going to try to change the appointment if possible so I can get in on this gig.

I'll keep watching this post...VERY interested!

Scott, where are yu haveing yours eyes done? my wife wants it done too, let us know how it goes.

Maybe you should dump the split shot, and try a different bait, I've caught lots of perch off waxies and even had em go nuts over a little piece of raw chicken skin.

Becareful with the surgery...My ma had it done TWICE. Make sure when you do have it done the price that you pay covers any check ups and possible second surgeries. The first surgery my ma drove herself back to Fargo (60 miles) the day after the surgery but her eyes recessed every day afterwards. She had thick contacts prior to the surgery but afterwards she had thicker ones after the surgery. The doctor didn't charge her anything for the glasses/contacts she got afterwards but about 9 months later her eyes were staying the same not regressing any so she had the second surgery. The doctor didn't charge for that one. She couldn't drive to Fargo but she couldn't really see for a while afterwards. She was really scared for a little period of time about 2 weeks but after that she started getting better and better vision. She had that surgery about 3 years ago and her eyes are not 20/20 but not 20/25 so she is right in between which is great. But time to go put the Old fish house out. Old man don't want to try his pickup out by hauling the fish house out there so were taking my s-10 confused.gif So hopefully you'll think twice about jumping into having the surgery and check the doctors out. The one my ma went to was over in Fargo by the sports bubble. I'll ask her tonight what her doctors name was because she paid a decent price but he didn't charge a single penny for all the other stuff that she had done.

Fishin' Man

My thoughts on lasik...

I've worn glasses all my life, like since 2nd grade..

I know quite a few guys who have had the surgery. Some came out great others are no better off than before.

By that I mean before surgery they had to wear prescription glasses. I work in a steel fab shop so saftey glasses are absolutely mandatory. These guys that have the surgery usually had prescription saftey glasses, one pair. Now they run around carrying 2 pairs of glasses one saftey pair and one set of reading glasses, looks like a real pain inb the arse to me, I'll stick with my one pair of glasses.

You only have one pair of eyes, take care of them! Too big of a gamble for me, my eyes arent that bad off yet.. Merry christmas all!!! Paul

Hey fishin' man....you dont by any chance go to UMC do you. I see that one of your addresses is Crookston. I am from Fergus Falls but go to school at UMC and do a lot of fishing around that area.

Chuckster

..dont try to understand em...just set the hook and land em

That would be me...HAIL UMC!!!!! GO GOLDEN EAGLES...hehehe Ok Now I'm done. Ya I go up there and have semi enjoyed it for the past 2 1/2 years...WOW time goes by fast when your fishing too much...Some notes to you Chuckster not all the teachers think it's alright to

A) Bring nightcrawlers into the classroom because they might melt in the truck

B) Come into class smelling like fish (Female Teachers Really DON'T like this one)

C) Skipping a Melsa Lab to go catch fish down at the river

If your an UMC student you'll know what to do with this [email protected] wink.gif Drop me a line sometime I do a lot of fishing around home and up in crookston also. Well time to go open some presents grin.gif Drop me a line sometime.

Oh ya I talked to Ma and Bergstrom did the eye surgery for her up in Fargo...Sorry for the delay.

Fishin' Man

Hey Dano...Actually I wasn't trying to catch those perch nippin on my split shot..way to little! Thought it was comical to watch them though. Went out 12/24 on Silver (drove all over the ice..over 13" thick!) Must have drilled 60 holes in the southwest corner then checked them all out downviewing with my AquaVu. Looks like a featureless gravel bowl from 5' - 25'. Only saw one carp, so I just gave the minnows a ride around today and didn't even wet a line. Will try a new lake in the morning. I have a lot of them to learn!

As far as the Lasik I'm having an old friend of my family's (Eye Proffessionals..Dr. Steve Bagan) do the job. Had my left eye done on 10/8. He's trying to do mono vision but it may not work because of my astigmatism. The first time got the focus where they want it but it left a little astigmatism so they are going to touch the left up some on the 14th and also do the right eye for distance. Figured since the rest of my life has been ridin' on the edge I'd go for this too....hopefully no more fogged glasses or swimming half blind! Will keep you posted.

Merry Christmas ALL!

Scott

heh, heh, o.k., I thought maybe you were out perchin, and shareing some things that have worked for me, anyway, I hear Bagans a pretty reputable guy, been around while, my folks speak highly of him, sounds like your in good hands.

I hear Womack is supposed to be very good too, thats who my wife wants to go to.

Have a good day.

gentlemen gentlemen gentlemen...

lets get back to whats really important. as long as your eyes can see a vexilar you are fine.

i think me and gf11 are fair game for a get together. all we will be doing after break is fishing unless he has hockey, then i'll just bring a friend. most the lakes i've fished right around DL ahve good crappies but havent always found good walleyes in the sense that they are big enough. mostly small 10-12" ones. Lets get a date set and work out a lake closer to that time when we have all had time to fish and find a hot lake.

gophish.

I agree with gophish. I think it would be alot of fun to all get together on the lake so lets talk about this lasik business on a new thread. Being 20, Im much more concerned with fishing at this juncture in my life so lets decide a date. As this date draws nearer, everyone needs to keep this thread going as to hot lakes in the area that would accodate a large number of houses and people. Perhaps there is a nice little walleye stock pond we could all check out before it freezes out??? Everyone keep each other posted.

Seems like a good idea, how about we shoot for January 23rd, fish the latter part of the day, say 3pm to ?. That will give us a few weeks to pick a lake to fish.

gonefishin and gofish, I do a fair amount of night fishing, and since you both don't seem to be tied down to anything, maybe one evening we could do some fishing. Shoot me an email sometime and we'll coordinate something.

Fisherdog

I am done with hockey at 3 everyday of the week so as long as homework isnt bogging me down, I am free any day except thursday when I have lab. Let me know what day you wanna go and Ill be happy to join you. Email me at [email protected]

The 23rd sounds great to me!

By then I might even have my sites on something willing to be caught!

Well, back to the maps.

I wish I could join everyone on the 23rd but I have a hockey game at 5. Hope everything goes well and maybe we could plan a trip to URL for some slabs in march?

big sugarbush is doing great right now with eyes and crappies some days we get our limit on eyes just a thought where we could go

the 23rd works for me.

and i've fished with gf11 enough that i'll be able to say all the stupid things that he would have said and catch all the fish he would have caught any ways, he wont be missed.

any of you guys can drop me a line this week if you're up for some fishing.

[email protected]

gophish.

If your new to the area and looking for some spots to fish, let me know...I'm sure I could steer you in a few good directions...What type of fish are you looking for??? Crappies, Walleye, Blue Gill, or Northern I should be able to help you out

Hey Steel, don't give away all your hotspots, got to save some for me smile.gif. Hope to see you this weekend.

Fisherdog

Hi there,.

I am sorta new to the area. I am working on lake ida on stan rylands cabin. Then got 3 houses to do on nelson, and 1 on unice. I would love to try some of these lakes, but with no portable,or sled, and only have a hand auger, I cant just go drillin happy hunting for fish. I have tried talking to people but the never tell you anything to really get me started. Its asking alot but I am looking for alocation that has a bite going on for walleye or crappies, a mixed bag at one spot would be great. Most fish are cpr, Only keep enough for 1 meal of 2 1/2. My 3 year old loves fishing, but unless they are biting, he wants to go home or go to mc donalds.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. mutey78 at msn dot com

Jeremy