Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wiskers

Red Lake river Ice report

6 posts in this topic

Well I hate to say it but Ice fishing might not be an option this year. The river levels have gone up and stayed up all fall and into the winter. The ground moisture is way up there and the river is around 9'. Most years it is around 5-6 feet over the winter. Three feet of water means more curent, unstable banks and very thin ice all over the place.

We are scheduling our Ice Buster Daze for Jan 22 weekend. Man I hope we get some cold to make ice soon. Needless to say we wont be fishing in the dam this year. More than likely we will have to move the fishing tournament to central park area. With any luck, the races can still be across from the fire hall.

Why can't we get a 'normal' winter? confused.gif

You guys must be getting some cold/ice these days. It's 15 below F. This morning in Kenora. I'm not that far from you. I'll be down there on Wednesday, I'll try and bring some cold with me... Where's Chudmon these days? Is that big bear hibernating? Lake of the Woods is ready for you guys!

I'm here just working on a Canadian GPS unit. So I can figure out which cabin you've decided to take a nap in. grin.gif We are making good ice now.

Hey Rusty maybe we can have Ice Buster Days on my rink in the back yard.LOL Hey its below the river level!

Hemlock are you going to Itchy's on wednesday? let me know. EH!!!

Well LOW will have to wait.. Selkirk has my number for the time being.. LOW is good fishing but tons of small fish.. just that chance to hook into several fish over 8# and up to the teens.. is enough to get me going back..

Chudmon.. maybe we can put a small pool under your rink and a few fish and we can hold the tounrament there.. LOL.. Rumor has it that napping in cabins cost much less up there in LOW vs renting a room LOL LOL LOL.. All it cost is your ridacule from your fishing buddies..

Get that house ready to go yet Chud? wont be long.

I went out on the river today. Anywhere from a foot of ice to two feet of ice.. 15 feet of water. Graphing fish all the time.. no takers though.. Fish were graphing from 8 feet down to the bottom steady.. Some real nice red bars on the LX3... Man I love that unit.. The battery life is awesome and the power is outstanding.

Cant wait to get that camera so I can see what all the activity is all about.

Heading out for xmas to the parents...

Happy Holidays to you all......