• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mossberg 500 Pump

LuciandTim

Mossberg 500 Pump 12 gauge

I see they have this gun for only $200.00 at a local sporting goods store. I may buy it for my brother for X-mas. Anyone have any experience or input on this model or the mossberg reputation?? Thanks Tim

Tim I have owned several Mossbergs since I was old enough to hunt.Not one ever gave me any problems, some people look at them as low priced cheap shotguns but they are a very nice gun.

Easy to feild strip, easy to get extra barrels for them,and parts are readily available if you ever need any.

The safety on the top is a plus as well.

Benny

I own one and love it. Some say it is just a cheap gun, but I laugh at them when their fancy expensive shotguns breakdown and they say it is junk and should only be used as a tire iron.

If I was your brother I would be tickled to get one from you for xmas. Go for it he will enjoy it for a long time with no troubles.

The first gun I bought was a mossberg 500 20 ga pump. I have had one recurring problem. On occasion if you don't pump it hard it kicks out the empty and the next round and--CLICK-- no bang! shocked.gif

This happend after I shot a deer form a tree stand. 1st shot Bang, the deer flinched but didn't move. Since the deer didn't drop I pumped the gun and as I did I heard the slug fall to the ground. Luckly the deer was just still standing motionless. I reached to push the button to release the next round and pump it in and Shot again. Bark flew as I missed obviously. The deer circled a tree and I shot a 3rd time and he fell. Latter I saw he was hit twice, lung and then shoulder.

Lesson learned---Make the 1st shot count because there might not be a 2nd. grin.gif

I like them so much I own 2 grin.gif Both are the combos, both are camoed and are very versatile. The one I use for deer and ducks, the other I use for turkey. They are a good gun for a cheap price. And yes they kill just as good as the Bennelis tongue.gif

I wanted an 870 but I saw this for cheaper. I have owned an 870 for 12 years..what a solid gun. I just want the same out of this one.

I would pick a 500 over a 870 express in a heartbeat!! much better finish on the barrel. 870 wingmaster- (well that's a class of its own)

GO FOR IT i got the same deal on mine. i do have some input. when i got mine the 3 1/2 inch was like 20 dollars more. i regret not paying the extra 20 bucks! if u want the 3 1/2 inch u got it. you can still shoot the 3 inch. the only thing i find actually wrong is like someone else said it has double ejected on me 2 times out of about a case of shells, but that is my fault, better than my cousins 870 that jambs 2 or 3 times in a box of shells!! the other thing wrong with it is the steel color are different. it doesnt effent the preformance at all. the barrel, magazine and chamber are all different shades of black. it still shoots perfect it is not a gun that is supposed to look pretty its a really tough gun. if i was to buy a gun to look good I'd have an over under. Id buy another one in a heartbeat!!!!!! just in 3 1/2 its just nice to have

My first shotgun was a Mossberg 500 pump and it is still ticking some 40 yrs later. I consider it my meat gun. It takes a beating and doesn't let me down no matter how I mistreat it in the mud or rain/sleet/snow. It has a poly choke and as mentioned breaks down and cleans up real easy.

My first deer was shot was this gun. I had 2 double 00 buck and backed up with a slug. (This is the last time I used slugs in this barrel). This poor little doe came through the bush when I was just 16 and I was so scared the others in the group told me not to stop shooting until the deer fell, well I let fly with all 3 shots and thank heavens the slug hit a tree but every vital organ in that poor little deer had a pellet in it. It never went 30 yds. Since then I have used it for geese, ducks and even pheasants. I have purchased several high end shotguns since but my 500 is my meat gun and I wouldn't trade it for another even through there are others out there.

same story as the rest. I have a regular one and a 3.5 inch. neither one has ever failed me and they just keep shooting. Not as fancy as some of my others but as far as working they are as good as the rest. Real working mans gun, dont have to worry about putting scratches in it and lose alot of value.

Thanks for the replies. I bought the gun two days ago... grin.gif I think he'll be a happy brother.