• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice Leaders Winnie Event Who's Going?

Sounds good Frank! Myself and BD110 should be at Denny's around 7:00 or so. Looks like the weather is gonna warm up a bit, hopefully the fish will be hungry!!!

Brian

Good Luck everyone and knock um out. Wish I could be there but theres no way Im ready yet. Looks like Burntside is next for me. Have fun, catch fish and be safe guys!

Oh by the way my money is on BD110 to get big eye! With his new improved jigging technique (still in progress) and a 26 plus incher under his belt just a couple days ago I think the moon is aligned in his favor. Lota Lota will come home with the "Big Slime" award for Biggest EalPout. S.T,s sled will breakdown in a foot of slush/snow just 300 yards from his hot GPS coordinates and BMC will be so bussy day dreaming about getting his picture in the paper again he falls asleep and loses both poles at once to a hungry Northern!

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Man I'm bummed, I haven't chimed in on this post as I knew I had a heavy work weekend, Jealous as all heck. Good luck to you guys, and don't take any crap from jealous types like myself when you are recieving your trophy's. I second Northlanders vote, it is the year of Gavitt! grin.gif

Hey Steve,

Sorry you missed the Winnie event, hopefully you're feeling better. Man it was a tough bite in the morning, but after the awards ceremony, lotalota, BD110, and myself went back out and did considerably better. Lota was on fire, I think anything with fins that swam by him ended up on his line. It was a great time and always good to meet fellow FMer's. I'm not going to be able to make any of the other events. I still have 2 LOW trips planned, so that'll be tying up some finances. Steve if you wanna come up and rumble with some Winnie perch and 'eyes yet this winter let me know. Drag lota and BD110 up with ya', it'd be a blast! During the week would work much better!

Brian

BMC I will take you up on that. Find me a good used snowmobile to pull my Otter with and theres a rod/reel combo with your name on it! grin.gif

Who isn't looking for a used sled??? LOL I'll see what I can come up with, lots of them in the classifieds around here. What brand, year, and price range are you looking for? As far as Winnie, I maybe able to sweet talk my dad into letting my borrow one of his sleds for a day. Drop me an email bmc 2680 at yahoo dot com with the sled details.

Brian

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Brian it was nice to see you again. Get a hold of me when you get this way. Tom brought home a little souvenir to remember his trip to winnie.

Fun time and got to put more faces to names at the winnie Event. The turnout was down from last year, I think thats because they had just started to drive on the lake.

After the Event Denny's put on an awesome fish fry.

Tom and Lotta, the chat over the radio on the way home made a the drive enjoyable. See ya at Burntside.

Big thanks to all the guys that put this event together. What a great time! Thanks to BMC for putting us on the fish early and late too. Too bad the thundering herd freaked out that school of bigguns we were on early. The fish fry was killer and it is a GOOD THING that BD and ST were running cover and on the horn for the trip home. Kept me from bouncing my head off the steering wheel a few times...one tired out old dog!

I think we all ought to pitch in some coin and pick up a few clearance lights for BD110 to mount on his ATV trailer. At least your ATV got us to the fish though. grin.gif

See y'all in a coupla' weeks!!!

Lota Lota...

It was good to get a chance to BS with you too Frank. If the big lake gets some shore ice, drop me a post here or get my number from BD110. I wanna get out and try my luck on the big lake's ice. Lota it was a blast, just glad we could get on some fish. If you haven't heard, the few prior times that Tom and I have been out, the skunk has been around, so it was nice to break the ice and have a decent catching trip. I'm pumped to get on the big lake this summer with ya'. If any of you guys plan on coming back up this way this winter, let me know in advance so I can make plans to fish with ya'.

Brian

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  
    • jim curlee
      I had a guy hit me with a lightly used 1969 BAR, he wanted $1650 with an older Leupold scope. More than I think they are worth, I made an offer, he declined end of story.   You know if you look at the old brochures, a grade II BAR sold for $250 in the late 60s, $1650 would be a good return on your investment.    Why would anybody want a 50 year old gun, they are heavy, have wood stocks, and blued metal.  I guess mainly to keep their gun safes glued to the floor. lol   You can probably buy a stainless rifle that you never have to clean, with a synthetic stock you never have to refinish, is as light as a feather, and for half as much money, perfect.   I'm too old for a youth gun, although I've shrunk enough that it would probably fit. lol   No Ruger 10/44s.   Jim      

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.